watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

POST MATCH: Sheffield United

Started by Friendsoffulham, March 30, 2024, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: Caedal on March 30, 2024, 11:04:26 PMCan we please get Muniz signed up to a long term deal asap

He is on a long term deal already (2+1 year left after this season). Although wouldn't mind a fresh 5 year deal for him.

itombomb

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 30, 2024, 11:54:10 PM
Quote from: Caedal on March 30, 2024, 11:04:26 PMCan we please get Muniz signed up to a long term deal asap

He is on a long term deal already (2+1 year left after this season). Although wouldn't mind a fresh 5 year deal for him.
I also presume that his current long-term deal is relative peanuts - maybe £10K a month? Obviously still very good money in the grand scheme of things, but to keep him motivated he deserves an upgraded (and extended) contract with, with new incentives and a very big release clause.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

My favorite part of the game was actually Cairney's footwork before assisting BDR. Holy cow is he beautiful to watch at times.

Woolly Mammoth

It was most certainly the Good the Bad and the Ugly.
There are no easy games which is why i do not understand why some people think they can predict a scoreline and end up making themselves look like a Buffoon

Consistency is lacking because we do not build good habits which is the key.
These ingredients include attitude and application with lashings of appetite and energy.
The first 90 minutes plus are the most important, not the odd 10 mins here and there.
If you're having a bad game you can still run around.

We are not good enough at the back to play tippy tappy passing across the back line, it is suicide to do it.
This slow walking football is so predictable and invites teams to press the ball and creates unnecessary pressure.
We play far too much football in our own half allowing the opponents to keep their shape and restore their balance and watch us play around them.
The slow tempo is not only boring but it does not hurt the opponents.
Goals of course change games, but if we are conceding them at the back it puts pressure on the attack to score. If we are missing opportunities in attack it puts pressure on the defence not to concede and players play better when there is no pressure.

Nevertheless, we do not have that killer instinct and can at times look leaderless.
We play much better when we quicken the tempo and not keep persistently passing sideways backwards and fannying around at the back inviting pressure.
There is more than one way to win a football match.

If i was the manager i would not be happy to find ourselves down 3 1 and potentially 4 1 down against with due respect the worst team in the Division who could not beat a carpet.

But as often happens you cannot predict the script with Fulham, and we came back to rescue a draw out of the jaws of defeat, and of course the Muniz goal was sublime.
Yes i suppose momentarily the draw felt like a victory at the time.

But in the cold light of day it is two points lost for Fulham against by far the worst team in that Division, and that is not good enough in my book,  and if i was Silva i would be far from happy.
He has to adjust the system of play, because we have not got the players to carry it out successfully.
If Scott Parker had been in charge yesterday he would have got  absolutely slaughtered on this forum for the overall team performance.

So let us not overlook the importance of being professional in what it takes to win a game, and you need a heart beat and leaders within a team to win matches and play well consistently no matter who the opponent is.
 The goal Muniz scored to save Fulhams blushes was mustard, but if that had not gone in, we would have been looking down the barrel of another defeat against lowly opposition, and how would we have felt then.
This Forum would have been steaming with outrage and rightly so.
Let us not overlook the cracks, and next week v Forest is potentially another unpredictable game against a team that has the ability to beat us on their day, and they will fancy their chances because we are far too predictable and this walking football is killing our game and does not justify the entrance fee to watch it.
Of course i was relieved and joyful that we levelled the score late on, pure theatre, but after the dust has settled the reality is that we still retain this soft underbelly.
A point gained at the final whistle with all the emotion surrounding the late equaliser.
However it is two points lost in the real world.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

kiwian

He had an amazing attempt in the 1st half when after the ball hit the post he tried to chip with his right foot behind his left!!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bencher

I think we play much better as a counter-punching team and we bore ourselves into mistakes against so-called lesser teams that allow us to dominate the ball. Cairney should have started because he knows how to unlock a defence.

Sting of the North

Quote from: itombomb on March 31, 2024, 12:40:30 AM

I also presume that his current long-term deal is relative peanuts - maybe £10K a month? Obviously still very good money in the grand scheme of things, but to keep him motivated he deserves an upgraded (and extended) contract with, with new incentives and a very big release clause.

Agree, except that I prefer to not include a release clause.

ffcthereligion

Less annoyed today thankfully. I wouldn't even be annoyed if it wasn't a pattern against the worst sides. But we've seen it repeatedly this season now and you can see it coming!

The end of the game just goes to show, when we turn it on we're more than good enough. Just a shame to only do so when the goal got disallowed at 4-1. Also don't think enough has been made of the first half, which had the intensity of a friendly. Oh well, we move on to Tuesday

SP

Just seen the highlights, a great turn out of FFC fans, no win but a match they'll remember for a long time.

ffc73

Quote from: SP on March 31, 2024, 10:40:41 AMJust seen the highlights, a great turn out of FFC fans, no win but a match they'll remember for a long time.

There was quite a few that left at 1-4 so they may now be regretting not staying.

The Cravenette

Quote from: Beamer on March 30, 2024, 06:17:46 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 30, 2024, 05:26:31 PMGreat performance from Fulham - Muniz get's goal of the season...BDR another cracker....the stats were unbelievable......we had 24 shots & 14 corners.... Sheff Utd were very poor from not using ball boys/girls to throw the ball back, to continuing wasting time & very dirty fouls

According to the commentary I was streaming, a new rule has been introduced so that ball boys are no longer allowed to return balls but their job is now to load up the ball rests set up around the pitch.
Yes they announced at the game this new rule. Players have to retrieve the ball themselves for throw ons. Seems a ridiculous rule change and even weirder that they bring it in mid way through the season.

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on March 30, 2024, 05:29:58 PMNo doubt those of us that have our hearts sold to Fulham will be pleased with that fighting performance but those that analyse things in a cool calculating manner will realise that a draw like that against a team at rock bottom of the table does not equate to a top half of the table finish.

Yeah, agree, and clearly shows why we sit 12th and not higher.  One word - - "Consistency"

WindyCity

Quote from: alfie on March 30, 2024, 10:17:50 PMYou know these players are humans and all humans have off days when things you plan don't go to that plan.

I respect your opinion, but I do see some rationalization here.  I don't think MS will be pleased at all with this result.  Sure, we're all humans and not robots.  But these guys are professional athletes and well paid for their endeavors.  I don't think MS is gonna say to the team or media, "oh well, the lads just had an off day, they're human after all".

Somerset Fulham

We are a solid midtable outfit, and those midtable outfits have the capability to beat United and Arsenal, to both hammer and be hammered by Bournemouth and struggle to a point or lose to a Burnley and a Sheffield United.

It is literally how it works.

RaySmith

Quote from: WindyCity on March 31, 2024, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: alfie on March 30, 2024, 10:17:50 PMYou know these players are humans and all humans have off days when things you plan don't go to that plan.

I respect your opinion, but I do see some rationalization here.  I don't think MS will be pleased at all with this result.  Sure, we're all humans and not robots.  But these guys are professional athletes and well paid for their endeavors.  I don't think MS is gonna say to the team or media, "oh well, the lads just had an off day, they're human after all".

If/when SU go down they'll probably be leading the Champ.,  just as Burnley did last season, running away with it, and as we did  to some extent - so they have quality, but not enough for the Prem, such is the high level.

I think we  were controlling the game yesterday- and  on another day at least on of our goal efforts would have gone in, and I doubt SU could have come back-
against a side with everyone behind the ball, just hoping to hit us on the break, which  they did, with our too causal defending - a false sense of security maybe, though the SU scorers did opportunistically well.

But I'm sure Marco will have strong words about our defending, in the dressing-room, but I'm also sure that he will be impressed with the way we came back, when it definitely seemed we'd lost all three points - we, admirably, didn't give up, and Marco's subs seemed inspired too.

So, I see definite positives from yesterday.

alfie

Of course you are correct, MS won't be happy, and won't say anything like that to them, but the point remains that no matter how much we get paid, humans make mistakes and have off days.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bill taylors apprentice

Their plan worked, allow us possession, sit back, deny space then hit us when the opportunity comes.
They weren't good enough to actually make it work but we gave them a massive helping hand.

If we had scored first it would have been a completely different game.

Having said that we scored first at Burnley and threw it away.

ffc73

Quote from: alfie on March 31, 2024, 07:50:15 PM
Of course you are correct, MS won't be happy, and won't say anything like that to them, but the point remains that no matter how much we get paid, humans make mistakes and have off days.

I disagree that yesterday was an "off day". It happens too frequently to be put down to that. 

We are just not consistent enough during games or throughout the season. Infuriating but we love them.

Somerset has it about right in his post above. Frustrating as it is, we are a solid mid-table side that can do better & also do worse.

blingo

If we could find that consistency we would be playing champions league football. Let's be realistic, we are not in that position and unless we add a lot of quality to our ageing team, we're unlikely to find it.

alfie

Quote from: ffc73 on March 31, 2024, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: alfie on March 31, 2024, 07:50:15 PM

I disagree that yesterday was an "off day". It happens too frequently to be put down to that. 

We are just not consistent enough during games or throughout the season. Infuriating but we love them.

Somerset has it about right in his post above. Frustrating as it is, we are a solid mid-table side that can do better & also do worse.

I give in 😂
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't