more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarz out.

Started by zzamora, May 09, 2011, 09:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hesedmedia

Quote from: finnster01 on May 11, 2011, 01:55:19 PM
For me the argument of starting Stockdale over Schwarz the last two games is more of "give Stockdale a chance so he can see there is a future for him at Fulham". He didn't do much wrong when the Big Aussie was out, and even though I still think the Aussie is the better keeper right now, but I hate to lose Stockdale for the future. He is already getting a bit grumpy.

I say we give him the last two run outs in the Prem, start talking contract extension, but perhaps start Schwarz next season and make a complete switch come Christmas time. If we make Europe, there should be plenty of starts around for both of them anyways

I agree.

I've recently met a gentleman named Adam Arthur, who played for York City some years ago before a change in management sent him packing for the U.S., college scholarship, and the USL (like our League 1/2, I think). Anyway, he played with Stockdale at the youth level, and still keeps in contact with him, describing him as 'a good friend'. Hearing from Adam how both he and Stockdale were let go from clubs early on (as an adolescent, mind you) having been told, essentially, that they were rubbish and had no future in football, impressed on me, as a fan, how flippantly I tend to think of players' careers, as well as the drive, passion, and self-belief someone would have to possess to press on in the face of repeatedly being told you couldn't make it, especially at that age.

Maybe that's the story of every footballer, I don't really know, but hearing the personal side of it makes it difficult for me not to root for giving Stockdale a start or two, even if it's just to keep his confidence up. It appeared to me he handled himself really well during Schwarz' absence, and he must wonder what he's got to do to get a run out.

My $.02

Logicalman

For me the argument of starting Stockdale over Schwarz the last two games is more of "give Stockdale a chance so he can see there is a future for him at Fulham". He didn't do much wrong when the Big Aussie was out, and even though I still think the Aussie is the better keeper right now, but I hate to lose Stockdale for the future. He is already getting a bit grumpy.

I say we give him the last two run outs in the Prem, start talking contract extension, but perhaps start Schwarz next season and make a complete switch come Christmas time. If we make Europe, there should be plenty of starts around for both of them anyways

cannot argue with that.

Jimpav

Stockdale needs to be patient - which in fairness to him he has been so far.

If he leaves us to get regular first team football then it will be for a Championship side or at best a newly promoted team.

If he leaves us for a "bigger" club he will get even less time on the pitch.

Schwarzer had a real mare on Monday but it would take an amazing keeper to recover from going two goals down in 7 minutes - his confidence/concentration was shot for the rest of the match and with your own fans booing you it's hardly going to improve.

Stockdale will be rewarded for his patience if he stays with us for another year or two. I can't see Schwarzer playing any more than that.

What annoys me is that we are so quick to find a scapegoat the minute we have a bad result.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Jimpav on May 11, 2011, 04:15:31 PM
...with your own fans booing you it's hardly going to improve.

I didn't hear boos until half time, and they were few and far between, quickly silenced, and aimed at the team in general. On the whole the crowd stayed positive and supportive, especially when we showed some fight in the second half.

Jimpav

Booing where I was sitting and a fair few people walking out when the 3rd and 4th goals went in.

Whiteroom

There are two things I will never do at a Fulham game. 1. Boo my team. 2. Leave early due to a bad performance.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Jimpav on May 11, 2011, 06:42:05 PM
Booing where I was sitting and a fair few people walking out when the 3rd and 4th goals went in.

OK, I should qualify that:

On the whole the crowd who stayed stayed positive and supportive, especially when we showed some fight in the second half.

As for leaving early, I can understand it if you've got a train to catch, or your house is on fire, or if the team has given up trying, but that wasn't the case Monday. I stayed till the bitter end, and applauded too, and so did quite a few others.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: The Bronsons on May 11, 2011, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: Jimpav on May 11, 2011, 06:42:05 PM

OK, I should qualify that:

On the whole the crowd who stayed stayed positive and supportive, especially when we showed some fight in the second half.

As for leaving early, I can understand it if you've got a train to catch, or your house is on fire, or if the team has given up trying, but that wasn't the case Monday. I stayed till the bitter end, and applauded too, and so did quite a few others.

That was my impression too - and I was looking out for booing and couldn't hear any. There were a few people who left after goals 3 and 4 were conceded though, but not many.

Shows how far we've come I guess - since there were loads of boos and "Hughes out!" cries after mere draws in the winter.

Jimpav

That's fair enough chaps. As you say IW there has been worse booing for less and it could have been worse.

I think it would have been pretty churlish to boo or walk out though given we won 0-3 away the following week to the grand away audience of 500!

HatterDon

I agree. I also would like milord to consider that many of us who are in favor of Young Mr. Stockdale getting the #1 shirt next season have expressed the opinion that he should have been given more consideration over Schwarzer LONG before the Liverpool game. Many of us have been commenting on his hesitation early in the season and, in pretty much every match since the end of the Asian Cup, his appalling distribution. Now we know that the court is much too wise to be swayed by the argument that Schwarzer's detractors are overreacting to one match.

thanks milud.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 09, 2011, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: zzamora on May 09, 2011, 09:51:20 PM
Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on May 09, 2011, 09:47:59 PM
and not finish it
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 09, 2011, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: zzamora on May 09, 2011, 09:35:17 PM
Hes been horrific get him out!  :red:

stockdale for last 2!
Yep, but Swarcz to start next season.
and not finish it

I feel that we've gotta introduce stockdale...hes quality!
He's good but needs to watch his eating habits.
Schwarzer is only a couple of centimeters taller than Stockers and heavier so I don't think he's actually overweight.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

finnster01

Stockers is beginning to look dangerously like Neville Southall so something is wrong with those "listed" stats
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: epsomraver on May 10, 2011, 03:39:15 PM
That mate is bow locks, I support the best keeper for Fulham  my team, and his nationality does not come into it, Keller  American, Niemi, Finnish, all irrelevant,they were the best we had at the time,  Schwarz deserves to be dropped and Stockdale in, he was guilty of poor keeping , poor kicking and yes one good save.Once the defence senses that he is having a mare their confidence falls.
Van Der Sar, Dutch

@LouieJW2507

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: finnster01 on May 14, 2011, 03:42:27 PM
Stockers is beginning to look dangerously like Neville Southall so something is wrong with those "listed" stats
FIFA 11 really isn't reliable  :011: Well they have got Dempsey listed as 6'8

@LouieJW2507