Main Menu

Gold cup

Started by clintclintdeuce, June 07, 2011, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 12, 2011, 08:43:58 PM
Alll together now. .... COME ON YOU COSTA RICANS

If the game were in San Jose.................... :022:
Course, they beat the mexicants in Assteca. The only other team to do so was Brazil.

Even if CR wins, Mexicao goes through as #2 and we see them in the finals....assuming Bradley finds his ears so he can pull his head out of his posterior.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

A couple of points not made about the Panama match yet:

1. We had three solid chances to turn the result completely around and whiffed on all of them. One would have given us a single point, and two would have given them all to us. ALL THREE should have been converted. I'm not sure you can blame that on bald father or bald son.

2. I have never seen a team take it to the opponent like Panama did. An overlapping Cherundolo would be dispossesed and, instead of gradually working their way out of defense, five or six Panamanians hared upfield like greyhounds. Had we been able to regain position at any time, we'd have killed them, but they didn't hesitate. I've never seen a team play with such belief that they needed no defensive consienceness at all once they got the ball.

And a couple of others:

1. Can we please see Maurice Edu as Bradley's compatriot for the rest of the tourney? Jones is a loose cannon, and he picked up MUCH too much of Blackburn's tactics this season. Holden will eventually own this position, but Edu is more than capable of outperforming Jones.

2. These two matches have been the most encouraging performances by Sacha I-can't-spell-his-fekkin-last-name in a couple of years. That Europa League competition seems to have done him some good. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Don, I didn't blame Baby Brad or Jones for that matter. If your opponent is countering with half their squad, don't you think that some sort of adjustment is in order? Bradley never did make an adjustment. That is poor coaching. I really believe that he holds the US team back. He should have pulled Jozy at the half and put Demps up top with the kid and Landon behind him. He thinks that Jozy is the next McBride. He might be, but he isn't yet. No, this one belogs to Bradley just as his lack of prep caused the team to concede early and chase the match until they just ran out of gas against Ghana. The guy isn't good enough.

Logicalman

Don,

I agree with you, if we had converted those chances into goalsit would have been a different matter, but those chances going wasted were just symptomatic of the team as a whole. It seems, as you intimated, Panama wanted it more than we did on the night. I don't feel there was any complacency involved, just the Panamanian tactics were beter than those of Bradley, et al.

I see Jims point about Bradley taking the brunt of the blame for not changing tactics, though I would say, without detracting from the fact the buck stops with him, that he didn't have anyone else at his disposal to change the tactics, especially since he set out with a donkey and scared rabbit up front, and left the wolf of the pack back in midfield, needing to track further back to just pick up balls in order to launch attacks.

I can agree that Edu might have made that difference, though without the change that Bradley finally made (FAR too late for my liking) in changing the front pairing, those goal-scoring chances would still have been almost non-existent.

HatterDon

and, of course, the "Bradley didn't make any adjustments" comment doesn't quite work when you consider that Wandolowski [despite missing a sitter] was a better forward on the day than either Agudelo or Altidore, and that Sacha and Bedoya both were critical in the US playing much the better football in the 2nd half.

There's just a HUGE school in the states that wants that German dilletante to take over our club. I thought Bradley did a great job in the Confederations Cup and in the World Cup, but I was pretty much alone in saying that. I fear that we will get Klinsmann at some point, but I'm comforted by the fact that once we do get him, he'll do a Palin and quit for something easier to do for a living.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

timmyg

Since the WC, the USMNT is: W2 L4 D4 8GF 10GA.

Well, I guess Bradley's second stint got stale before it even began.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

YankeeJim

Don't count me in the German dilletante choir. He took a young team and did well. Heck, it was Germany. We likely haven't produced a half dozen players in the last 3 Cup cycles that could get a look into that squad. He then couldn't carry forward in the German league. No, he is not the man. If someone has a realistic suggestion as to who is, lets hear it. I'll wager he aint no yank.

RidgeRider

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 14, 2011, 02:21:27 AM
Don't count me in the German dilletante choir. He took a young team and did well. Heck, it was Germany. We likely haven't produced a half dozen players in the last 3 Cup cycles that could get a look into that squad. He then couldn't carry forward in the German league. No, he is not the man. If someone has a realistic suggestion as to who is, lets hear it. I'll wager he aint no yank.

Why not Hodgson? Big job I would think. The travel would not be to his liking at this point in his career I would think but he could shape this team into a force that would be hard to beat.

timmyg

Ugh, not this conversation again.

A non-American manager will never manage the USMNT. Don puts out some good reasons for why, mainly because they won't be bothered to figure out MLS.

But there's more to it than that. Here's the rub:

Imagine working at a business where the board of directors or bureaucrats (US Soccer) are always meddling with your affairs and offering suggestions and basically never leaving you alone. And then add the fact that no matter how awesome your product is or how well you sell it, the general populace just doesn't care, and sometimes are even hostile.

Why would anyone want to work under those conditions? The USMNT is certainly not the worst coaching job, but there's really little reward or praise.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Steve_orino

@ TimmyG - that quote from TP just gets better & better...

On Topic - We've got a MUST WIN tonight!  COYY!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

timmyg

Quote from: Steve_orino on June 14, 2011, 04:21:50 PM

TP?

RidgeRider

Quote from: timmyg on June 14, 2011, 03:33:59 PM
Ugh, not this conversation again.

A non-American manager will never manage the USMNT. Don puts out some good reasons for why, mainly because they won't be bothered to figure out MLS.

But there's more to it than that. Here's the rub:

Imagine working at a business where the board of directors or bureaucrats (US Soccer) are always meddling with your affairs and offering suggestions and basically never leaving you alone. And then add the fact that no matter how awesome your product is or how well you sell it, the general populace just doesn't care, and sometimes are even hostile.

Why would anyone want to work under those conditions? The USMNT is certainly not the worst coaching job, but there's really little reward or praise.

That bad huh? No wonder I struggle to give a crap about our national team some of the time. Seems to me a foreign coach who could do a job for us would know all this coming in and have it written into his contract.....NO MEDDLING ALLOWED. Don maybe right but if we don't continue to progress then who knows what they (US Soccer) might do. At the moment i am wholly unimpressed with the US setup and am constantly amazed how we lose to some of the teams we do with lackluster performances like what we saw this weekend...all due respect to Panama as they were UP for the match.

SoCalJoe

When you take a big picture perspective BB has had a great run (Gold Cup, Confed. Cup, and advancing to the knockout stage of the WC). However, there comes a time when the players tune you out. Let's see how being humilated motivates this squad (and I'm not talking about tonight's match, but the rest of the tourney). If they get their proverbial s#@t together then maybe his time isn't up yet, but from what I've seen the clock is winding down.

The domestic choice would probably start and end w/Sigi (Reyna as his #2?), even though Jason Kreis seems highly likely to take over the reins at some point in his career.

Not going to lie, I was way into the Klinnsman camp, but would have major reservations now. There are serious questions regarding how much time he wants to leave his pad in Manhattan Beach, and this team needs someone willing to work his arse off. That being said, his  "disasterous" stay at Bayern consisted of a record of 25-9-9 in all competitions, getting whooped by eventual champs Barca in the quarterfinals of the CL, and being in 3rd place in the Bundesliga at the time of his dismissal (3 pts out of 1st). Not exactly an abject failure is it?
You can observe a lot by just watching.

clintclintdeuce

That being said about all the negatives about the chance of a foreigner coaching the USMNT..... what about the positivies? Surely theres someone out there whos ambitious enough to take one of the most intreguing positions in the world. Our fan base is bigger than the populations of Ireland and the Czech Republic combined.... considering that only just 13% of the country follows the USMNT. You have one of the biggest populations to work with, your consistanly in world cup and other major competitions, will never go begging or wanting for a dollar for scouting, travel, or training, and on average you are the 15th best country in the footballing world....with probably the 10th best domestic league in the world.  Someone proper would see it as a great opportunity.
The Dude abides.

clintclintdeuce

And Im going to say US will win by at least 5 tonight...
The Dude abides.

Mr. F

Fantastic strike by Jozy. Much better start so far...

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: Mr. F on June 15, 2011, 02:38:33 AM
Fantastic strike by Jozy. Much better start so far...

Goal of the tournament so far.
The Dude abides.

RidgeRider

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 14, 2011, 08:01:19 PM
That being said about all the negatives about the chance of a foreigner coaching the USMNT..... what about the positivies? Surely theres someone out there whos ambitious enough to take one of the most intreguing positions in the world. Our fan base is bigger than the populations of Ireland and the Czech Republic combined.... considering that only just 13% of the country follows the USMNT. You have one of the biggest populations to work with, your consistanly in world cup and other major competitions, will never go begging or wanting for a dollar for scouting, travel, or training, and on average you are the 15th best country in the footballing world....with probably the 10th best domestic league in the world.  Someone proper would see it as a great opportunity.

Thanks CCD, this was sort of what I was thinking but you wrote it much better.

Steve_orino

Quote from: timmyg on June 14, 2011, 05:32:32 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on June 14, 2011, 04:21:50 PM

TP?

The former qb known as Terrelle Pryor
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

Well you gents just missed on a massive opportunity to lock up Lawrie Sanchez.

He would tell you how he beat Spain more often than Tommy Smythe can say guiness. What's there not to like about that?  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead