watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army.

Started by bog, September 27, 2011, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

Your reference to Bobby Keech's friendship with Johnny Haynes, cmg, reminded me of an anecdote from "Michael Parkinson On Football". Bobby recalls that he was 17 when he joined Fulham, and Haynes was the England captain. On Bobby's first day the players went to a pub for lunch, and he sat alone, not daring to speak. After the team had left he asked for his bill, only to be told that Mr Haynes had already paid it. Keetch said he didn't have to do it but "he knew as a young player I was likely to be broke, and I was". Years later Bobby was able to return the compliment by taking Johnny and his wife to Rome for the great man's 60th birthday, where they prevented a lot of vino being consigned to the European wine lake!

CorkedHat

Hangeland probably gets my vote too, but Jim Taylor and Roy Bentley are close runners-up.
I always liked Dempsey and Lacy as well but we have had a few carthorses in that position too, Joe Stapleton, Derek Lampe, and Bill Dodgin anyone 092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

McBridefan1

WOW you can't move a centimeter in this thread without getting hit in the shins by someone's low hanging danglies, christ I've tripped on more balls in this thread than zat knight on game day after an all nighter wif his bruvva... I do bow  :Haynes The Maestro: to those of you who keep and yes teach we young'uns our proud history. Bang on you big balled b@stards, bang on.  :clap_hands:

Peabody

Blimey, I completely forgot John Dempsey. I do think he was good but I have to say, he really reached his full potential when he moved to that lot up the road. Does anyone remember another young one who moved to Oxford by the name of Dave Roberts.

bog

I recall Dave Roberts, bright blonde hair, he put through his own goal in his first game. He left for Oxford and played a few games for Wales...I think...
One centre half that we all seem to have forgotten, perhaps not one of the top players, but one that would run through a brick wall for the club when the club began to rise again...Terry Angus.

Peabody

Terry Angus and Mark Blake, yup another good pairing, plus Blake scored quite a few goals as well. Nick Cusack another in that group but was he a centre half?

LBNo11

...I remember Dave Roberts and that shock of blond hair as well, and his debut o.g. but the lad threw himself into the game and gave his all - hmmmm! at what age do you need to be to join the old sods army..?

:023: :026:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Fernhurst

You're in.......

Just don't tell them your name Pike...doh!

LBNo11

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 28, 2011, 10:01:29 AM
You're in.......

Just don't tell them your name Pike...doh!

...all present and correct saaaah!

Now how come Reg Matthewson has not been mentioned..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

This age requirement for the Old Sod's Army. Well I reckon we can take conscripts from a very tender age. No press gang just those who are prepared to listen to those who grunt and break wind when they stand up and do similar when sitting down and who can sit and tell tales of nostaligic times.....

dgnffc

I'm amazed on-one's mentioned Geoff Banton, the Gordon McQueen lookalike. It was just unfortunate he couldn't play like him!

cmg

We've done the good and the ugly - before getting onto the bad (and even in the wilderness days our cente-backs were by no means our worst feature) I'd put in a word for Jeff Hopkins; a better full-back but he put in a decent shift at centre-back, too.

bog

And Alan Stephenson we ahd on loan from Wet Hammers. I seem to recall he looking to be a bundle of nerves, we did not extend his loan.
Derek Lampe had the physique of a heavyweight boxer and was an England yooof player but he had a knee injury early in his career and we never saw the best of he.
Met him and Tosh once. Both really nice blokes.       

Peabody

Now, I know mentioning Derek Lampe to Corked Hat is as bad as Reg Stratton but imo Derek was a really promising player. Unfortunately, he was also very injury prone. Despite this, he really did have tremendous potential, which was never achieved.

MJG

No ones gone for Doug Rougvie, CB who played for us back on 89 and was a right old lump, if memory serves he may have even been captain at some stage, he only played 18 games for us and was ex Chelsea but Doug( The Thug) should be in there somewhere.

cmg

Quote from: MJG on September 28, 2011, 05:58:23 PM
No ones gone for Doug Rougvie, CB who played for us back on 89 and was a right old lump, if memory serves he may have even been captain at some stage, he only played 18 games for us and was ex Chelsea but Doug( The Thug) should be in there somewhere.

...Definitely one for the "Ugly" category.

Peabody

Sorry, disagree about Rougvie. My goodness, you'll want Terry Hurlock in next!!!!

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on September 28, 2011, 05:08:36 PM
Now, I know mentioning Derek Lampe to Corked Hat is as bad as Reg Stratton but imo Derek was a really promising player. Unfortunately, he was also very injury prone. Despite this, he really did have tremendous potential, which was never achieved.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, was worse than Reg Stratton Mr P so Derek Lampe isn't on a par with him, but if Derek Lampe wasn't the slowest player I have seen then it was either John Chenhall or the Michael Jackson statue. Maybe Lampe had some potential but to me he never fuflifilled it. Most centre forwards seemed to run rings round him but perhaps I am being unkind. :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

TonyGilroy

Slow Fulham centre halves?

Have you all forgotten Sean Gore?

Peabody

We have had a few ropey one have'nt we? Have to say though, whilst he never set the world alight, I always had a soft spot for Joe Stapleton but like Lampe and Brice, his career was dogged by injury. I suppose CH will say that Lampe was only getting injured because he kept getting trampled by the speedy carthorse.