News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY MARTIN JOL YOU PLEB!!

Started by Admin, October 20, 2011, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willard

Ditto - Give him a chance. I think Jol is trying to change how we play. If certain members of the team don't get it and don't make the transition then I guess they'll move/be moved on.

richie17

He's got a big job on his hands. A lot of the rumblings seem to be true and Jol has to get the team younger.  There's going to be a painful transition phase and he's going to be unpopular, but he knows that and the board know that and we're just going to have to grin and bear it.

TWFL

Quote from: richie17 on October 20, 2011, 09:48:54 PM
He's got a big job on his hands. A lot of the rumblings seem to be true and Jol has to get the team younger.  There's going to be a painful transition phase and he's going to be unpopular, but he knows that and the board know that and we're just going to have to grin and bear it.

+1

How often do you see a manager come in and within the first 15 games of the season, win most of them? Rarely.. And how likely were we to beat Stoke at their place last weekend? Baring in mind that we have an appalling away record that neither Hughes nor Hodgson could change.

And tonight was just another one of "those" games where it didn't fall for us and things went against us (Dembele sending off) in true Fulhamish fashion. So we move on and look to Everton where we have a good record and should look to beat them.

zzamora

I believe in time for managers...but if i don't see an improvement after I return in two weeks from china I will too call for his head.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: zzamora on October 20, 2011, 09:59:29 PM
I believe in time for managers...but if i don't see an improvement after I return in two weeks from china I will too call for his head.

Wow. Just Wow.

ImperialWhite

Remember: Boxing day 2010 we were in the relegation zone following a 3-1 defeat to West Ham. Half a season isn't enough time to judge anyone - player or manager.

Burt

Quote from: TWFL on October 20, 2011, 09:50:36 PM
Quote from: richie17 on October 20, 2011, 09:48:54 PM

+1

How often do you see a manager come in and within the first 15 games of the season, win most of them? Rarely.. And how likely were we to beat Stoke at their place last weekend? Baring in mind that we have an appalling away record that neither Hughes nor Hodgson could change.

And tonight was just another one of "those" games where it didn't fall for us and things went against us (Dembele sending off) in true Fulhamish fashion. So we move on and look to Everton where we have a good record and should look to beat them.

Well said both.

Oakeshott

I don't think tonight's game has much bearing on whether or not Jol will do a decent job for us.

When I heard he had left Clint and Bobby at home, I thought he had done the right thing. On the evidence we should have been more than capable of coming back from Poland with at least a point without them and the Everton game is very much more important.

When I saw tonight's starting 11 I wasn't too disappointed, and for the first 20 minutes or so we bossed the game, albeit without looking very threatening. Insofar as there was a weak link it was Dembele, and I was hoping to see him substituted at some point, but there was no justification for the sending off and after that we were always going to struggle.

If I have a criticism of Jol re tonight it is that he did not make what seems to me to be the best changes in the second half. Sa looks pretty poor to me and I'd have had him off at half time, playing AJ up front BUT supported better, with Frei for me being quicker and more direct than Kasami. I'd have subbed Etuhu early for Sidwell, as I though the Czech chap was doing all right, though in fairness to Jol not having played much he might have been tiring. But in the great scheme of things I don't see tonight as significantly negative in the Jol good/bad appraisal, though certainly not as a positive.

The next two Premiership games now take on great importance, both for our position and for how Jol is working out. I dearly hope that we get at least four points, but in truth I don't feel optimistic.

zzamora

Quote from: ImperialWhite on October 20, 2011, 10:02:25 PM

Remember: Boxing day 2010 we were in the relegation zone following a 3-1 defeat to West Ham. Half a season isn't enough time to judge anyone - player or manager.

I appreciate that too but,QPR apart, we have looked clueless in our matches. Our defense has been all over the place and rumours of unrest in the camp have no helped. This is probably knee-jerk but I would like to see at least an improvement in performances, not results. 

Scrumpy

Sorry Admin, but that is just a knee-jerk reaction. I admire your passion, but not your impatience.

A full strength team probably would have won. It did not pan out on the day, but on Sunday (when we have a fresh Dempsey, Bobby and Murphy) we will be thankful that we rested a few. Even then, alot of the team will be knackered having travelled back from Poland but some fans will still expect us to roll over Everton without too much bother.

It's still way too early to panic. As has been said time and time again, we should wait until early December before even considering getting rid of Jol.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

richie17

We might just have to accept a bad season.  This might not be a reflection on the manager at all, but someone had to come in and be the bad guy and shake things up.  If/when Johnson and Zamora leave in January then Jol will really be up against it, but you might argue that this'll be when Fulham need us most. 

wadey

martin jol...lives in Esher....thats Surrey

Admin

Quote from: wadey on October 20, 2011, 10:28:08 PM
martin jol...lives in Esher....thats Surrey

I couldn't give a t0ss if he lived next door to me.. The guy is clueless.

DUKE

how come the club is not challenging dembele's red??? i though we have a very strong case. the guy blatantly cheated the referee pretending he was hit in face.

Fulham boss Martin Jol: "Of course we would never complain about the red card but it was a push on the shoulder. After being kicked. He made a meal of it.

"Referees make decisions but I would say that in the first minute one of my players was kicked and it should have been a red card. There were three other fouls but we didn't complain."

finnster01

Quote from: DUKE on October 20, 2011, 11:13:57 PM
how come the club is not challenging dembele's red??? i though we have a very strong case. the guy blatantly cheated the referee pretending he was hit in face.

Fulham boss Martin Jol: "Of course we would never complain about the red card but it was a push on the shoulder. After being kicked. He made a meal of it.

"Referees make decisions but I would say that in the first minute one of my players was kicked and it should have been a red card. There were three other fouls but we didn't complain."

Which shows how clueless he is by not standing up for his player and lodge an official complaint and appeal. Maybe there is still time to do it, I don't know, but he most definitely should even if he loses. Management 101

No wonder nobody wants to play for him. Who wants to work for a boss that doesn't have your back? Dressing room lost by Christmas (if it isn't already).

Worst man manager in the Prem.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Mr Fulham

Another hopeless and uninterested performance by many players. The older players seem particulary uninterested, while players like Kasami and Briggs are constantly trying to work something out but there are no tactics and there's no plan b. Nothing works and remember: These are the easy matches. December is make or break with the matches v the big guns. We could well be rock-bottom at 01.01.2012. And our team is deffo not a team for a relegation battle.

aussierod

So for those with no faith in Jol, who shall we appoint to turn this team around? Will Ray Lew then get relegated to the academy again? Will we see our up an coming youngsters given game time to develop? Will we look to transition the team from an over reliance on Zamora and change things?
Jol has changed a few things this season, players need to adapt or be left behind (or let go). I dont believe we'll even finish in the top half this season, I'm thinking 11-13, abd to be honest, I'm not bothered about that, however I think our long term prospects look good under Jol's tutelage. We are bringing younger players through, we are still trying to play the ball around and are still solid at home
AFC, I consistently agree with all your posts so please, keep it up please
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Lighthouse

Wait a minute. When Hughes had a poor time and we were in the bottom three after Christmas. Many posters said off with his head. I was one of the few who said he has done a good job and we are playing in a more attacking style. Under Jol we have played as many games as Hughes did when people wanted Hughes to go.

So why more time? Why defend a manager who seems to have lost many senior players? I think we are more defensive now than we were under Roy. When we attack we seem to have little or no idea what to do in the final third. Shouldn't this have been sorted out by now? I don't know why Jol has so many problems. Not sure who will replace him. Just know we a duller than dull to watch because there is no end product and we look bored except for one and a half games so far this season. Other than faith and reminding us what a small club Fulham are. What can be the argument? Great squad just a poor side on the pitch.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

I think Mo will wait for me to lose patience before Jol goes. Luckily i'm still pro Jol  :54:

michaelread

Admin, patience is why Martin Jol is a world class manager in top flight football, and why you're sitting here having heart palpitations about a 1 - 0 loss with 10 men away in Poland.

Jol is a good manager. We look more threatening. What has to be remembered, is he's changing our side. His job this year, is to finish 16th or higher while making the squad younger. Not to come in the top ten, not to win europa, not to win a cup. His job is to see us through the next few years without getting relegated, so we can set up for the future with our new breed of players. Sa, Gecov, Ruiz, Kasami, Briggs etc are the future of our club, and its not Jols job to win anything (yet) its to make sure we add to that base so that we CAN challenge in the future. This is how you reshape a football club, its transition, and its the reason why sides like Stoke are now playing so well. They allowed themselves time to stay afloat while they took two years off for transition. Sorry, but thats the truth. The next two years will be boring, 6 - 0 wins against QPR will be the things that make it worthwhile.

Maybe its fans that stick around AFTER a run of success turns sour that are the "real fans".

Wish I was in London, id be there this weekend no matter the cost, score, manager, players, position, league, anything. Instead, i'll watch it in the dead of night, bereft of sleep.