watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Great Fulham Clear-Out

Started by White Noise, December 02, 2011, 08:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie17

(although I accept that we're not writing for the British Medical Journal here...)

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 02, 2011, 12:55:36 PM
Bring em on. He's a luxury player and a liability and I've had enough of him.

I don't care of he's the highest scoring Yank of all time, he's also one of the greediest players I've ever seen.

Yeh, what a luxury those 13 goals were last season. We would have been better off if he wasn't around.

Lighthouse

I have just heard there are green Daleks working the night shift at Lidl. Comes from a good source.

The squad is very cross and unhappy so I would imagine Demps will be on his way anyway. Along with Zamora,AJ,Etuhu,Et al,Etc, Murphy and all the others.

However I still look at our present side and Dempsey would still be the first name I would put down for the starting 11. He offers more than any other player. He wins free kicks and can look lazy. But compared to the rest of the side bar Brede,Swart and some of the kids. Haven't they all looked lazy this season?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BalDrick

I didn't see the game so can't comment on anthing that happened last night but I'd hang onto Dempsey at all costs. Other than Hangeland, Murph and possibly Baird, the whole of the rest of the team can go AFAIC. And frankly the manager too.

Oh yeah Ruiz, well seeing as he never plays league games despite being Europa cup-tied, I haven't seen enough to make a judgement. Kasimi I like a lot too, but again blink and you'll miss him.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

NorthernWhite

We've all known for quite some time we're an old team that would need changing and I think that's why Hughes did one as he could see it would take investment very soon to keep us where we have been.

In terms of outgoings, I wouldn't be disappointed to see AJ or Zamora to go on current form and if we got 10+ for Dembele, we could look at getting some quick, young wingers in. Ruiz and Dempsey can play the middle role behind the striker striker or on the wings and having watched Ruiz last year, he can play the Dembele role.

With 12+ from the sales of AJ and Dembele, we could get some nippy wingers in and also a young striker. I think/hope Gignac will come and he certainly has a point to prove to himself and the French coach which would only benefit us.

We need to stick with Jol as keep changing the manager is killing us and he needs a change of personnel to make his methods work. Thanks for all the good times the old guard but in with the new....

TonyGilroy

The transfer window can't be helping Jol.

Without it I imagine that there'd be a fairly rapid player turnover but as it is he has to wait until January and then the agents will be playing their games with deals being delayed until the last minute.

It's very difficult to ditch players who have seen and done it all and doing so could be disastrous but after last night's tepid nonsense it can't come soon enough for me.

Except the time to do so always seems to be not quite yet. Could the kids cope against Liverpool? There's 6 points waiting to be had against Swansea and Bolton so best take no risks.

Oh and then its ManU and Chelsea.

I reckon Jol knows what he needs to do but it's not easy getting the timing right.

horse1031

I don't care of he's the highest scoring Yank of all time, he's also one of the greediest players I've ever seen.

i am one of dempseys biggest supporters and YES he is greedy and likes to shoot.  Every single year he shoots more than most of the midfielders in the prem.  He has seemed a little off this year and i think the whole team is pressing instead of letting it come to them.  But who hasnt been a little off this year?  I think the only players that have looked good are Hangeland and Baird.

BalDrick

Quote from: horse1031 on December 02, 2011, 03:36:10 PM

i am one of dempseys biggest supporters and YES he is greedy and likes to shoot.  Every single year he shoots more than most of the midfielders in the prem.  He has seemed a little off this year and i think the whole team is pressing instead of letting it come to them.  But who hasnt been a little off this year?  I think the only players that have looked good are Hangeland and Baird.

I think you could even make a case of saying neither of those two are quite up to their usually high standards actually. Which leads me to believe it's an unhappy squad - unavoidable really with such a revolving managerial door.

Re Deuce's selfishness, yeah sure sometimes he should pass (or leave it - remember the pen against the scum?) but all goal scorers have a selfish streak.

Jack Fulham

I think Dempsey has become less greedy the past two seasons. He doesn't shoot from 30 yards out all the time like he used too. I wouldn't call him a luxury though, he gets stuck in although last season, Hughes had him playing much higher up the pitch than Hodgson did.

As for players that should go. I think it's time for Etuhu, Duff and Andy Johnson to go. Maybe Zamora as well but they've got half a season to prove us wrong. I also think Hughes may find it hard to regain his centre half position as well. I'm relishing the return of Davies though, one of my favourite players.

Mr Fulham

I said that last season and even the season before. We need a major clear-out. Ship out players like Murphy, Etuhu, Johnson, yes, even Zamora if he continues to act like a little girl....

Keep players like Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Sidwell if they are willing to stay. They give their all every time they play.

Not sure about Duff.

Sell Dembele if the price is right.

Build a new team with young (british) players. Sign some young and cheap Championship/L1 talents like Rhodes, Zaha, some players from the continent (Gignac, Brama, Chadli), sign O'Hara if Wolves go down and integrate the excellent young players we have. McKinlay is raving about the youngsters, so why not give them a chance? Trotta, FREI (!), Kasami, Donegan, Kacaniklic, Dalla Valle.

This is why I like Steve Bruce: He played the likes of Colback, Welbeck, Noble, Wickham, Meyler.

Every new manager at Fulham said that Fulham needs to get younger? What did actually happen? Not much: Our average age yesterday was 30.8 yrs. That's just shocking.

And btw: Dempsey has to stay.

horse1031

offensively i think dempsey has looked alright but he is lacking in the defensive side of the ball.  we all say how bad Riise has been playing but it doesnt help when he has no cover on the wing.  And when Dempsey or whoever is out on the left comes back he doesnt know to take the outside guy or take the person streaking behind him.

BalDrick

'I said that last season and even the season before. We need a major clear-out. Ship out players like Murphy, Etuhu, Johnson, yes, even Zamora if he continues to act like a little girl....'

Fact is, Zamora's value is falling by the day - genuinely think we could get a few quid for him now - MO'N always gets cash when he starts a new job for a start. Same applies for AJ. Murph, well I'd keep him but nobody's going to pay anything for him.

'Keep players like Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Davies, Sidwell if they are willing to stay. They give their all every time they play.'

Nobody's going to give us anything for Simon or Hughes, on that basis keep. Rest I wouldn't want to leave.

'Not sure about Duff.'

Again nobody's going to give us much for him, if anything. But he's falling fast from his previous position as one of my fave players.

'Sell Dembele if the price is right'

Absolutely - provided he won't extend. For all we know he will once all the dead wood (see above) has gone.

'And btw: Dempsey has to stay.'

Don't you get bored of being right?

os5889

Quote from: White Noise on December 02, 2011, 08:54:01 AM
One thing is clear after performances like last night - if Jol is to stay then many must go to enable him to get the side playing his way.

Who will not be here come the start of next season? Some of those will leave with the clubs blessing and others will go because they want to move on.

January departures

AJ
Halliche
B H Riise

Summer departures

Duff
Zamora
Hughes
Davies
Dembele
Grygera
Dempsey
Stockdale

Be surprised to see Davies leave, fee would be negligible given his injury and he has until Summer 2013 on his contract I believe.

DukeTyrion

Not sure Stockdale deserves to be on that list.

I expected him to stick around and take the number 1 shirt. It's not as if he is one of the old crew.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: DukeTyrion on December 02, 2011, 05:00:09 PM
Not sure Stockdale deserves to be on that list.

I expected him to stick around and take the number 1 shirt. It's not as if he is one of the old crew.

Same goes for Dempsey and Hughes? Why would they leave? Both under contract until 2013 and no need to allow them to leave. Consistent performers.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: os5889 on December 02, 2011, 04:56:07 PM
One thing is clear after performances like last night - if Jol is to stay then many must go to enable him to get the side playing his way.

Who will not be here come the start of next season? Some of those will leave with the clubs blessing and others will go because they want to move on.

January departures

AJ
Halliche
B H Riise

Summer departures

Duff
Zamora
Hughes
Davies
Dembele
Grygera
Dempsey
Stockdale

Be surprised to see Davies leave, fee would be negligible given his injury and he has until Summer 2013 on his contract I believe.

Digger got himself a nice contract when our management team was Welsh :)

os5889

For me the only definites on the outs would be:

AJ - Contract related
Zamora - Happiness related

The maybes

Dembele - Silly fee and cash in while he has some length on his contract
Etuhu - If Sidwell immediately displaces him upon his return

I cant see the value the sale of any other players would add, could we get anything better and as much a good fit for the fee + wages of the current squad. Getting caught up with average ages is a tad dangerous. Im all for yoof but lets not do anything silly....

os5889

Quote from: Jack Fulham on December 02, 2011, 05:10:08 PM
Quote from: os5889 on December 02, 2011, 04:56:07 PM
January departures
AJ
Halliche
B H Riise
Summer departures
Duff
Zamora
Hughes
Davies
Dembele
Grygera
Dempsey
Stockdale

Digger got himself a nice contract when our management team was Welsh :)

That he did, and it was thoroughly deserved.

Additionally as the contract was publicised on 16th August 11 days after Hughes joined I'm pretty sure the deal would have been in place from Roy's regime and the new manager needed to rubber stamp it.

If that was a suggestion that he got a contract on account of his shared ancestry Im worried.

Additionally Davies is happy, when I met him back home a few months ago he was happy at Fulham and doesnt want to leave.

On that note I'd add the club cant make him leave and I expect he'll probably be here for a while to come  :dft009:

BalDrick

Quote from: os5889 on December 02, 2011, 05:14:01 PM
For me the only definites on the outs would be:

AJ - Contract related
Zamora - Happiness related

The maybes

Dembele - Silly fee and cash in while he has some length on his contract
Etuhu - If Sidwell immediately displaces him upon his return

I cant see the value the sale of any other players would add, could we get anything better and as much a good fit for the fee + wages of the current squad. Getting caught up with average ages is a tad dangerous. Im all for yoof but lets not do anything silly....

Didn't realise when I was drinking with you in the Southern Belle you're so sensible! Agree completely, in addition selling Dempsey is one of the stupidest ideas I've read on here for a while.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Get a very large skip in and dump a few of the overtired, dead wood, journeymen in it...