watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Great Fulham Clear-Out

Started by White Noise, December 02, 2011, 08:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

One thing is clear after performances like last night - if Jol is to stay then many must go to enable him to get the side playing his way.

Who will not be here come the start of next season? Some of those will leave with the clubs blessing and others will go because they want to move on.

January departures

AJ
Halliche
B H Riise

Summer departures

Duff
Zamora
Hughes
Davies
Dembele
Grygera
Dempsey
Stockdale

TonyGilroy

Dembele will only go if he won't resign.

There's no good reason to lose Dempsey and Hughes and Davies will likely see out their careers with us. Davies, in particular, will be more than useful if he gets back to fitness.

As I've said elsewhere the problem is that Zamora isn't doing it and the need is for one or hopefully two strikers to be brought in who are Prem ready.

Then all will be well.

White Noise

Jol is dead set on getting the average age down and I think he may sacrifice good players to do so. Dempsey and Dembele I think willl leave by choice.

It will be interesting to see if Jol lets Murphy go and makes Hangeland Captain or if he needs the wider qualities he brings for another season.

Having older players has given an element of continuity and stability in the playing staff because older players are lesslikjely to be coveted and courted by others clubs and agents. I would like to see players like Davies & Hughes staying but if Jol brings in others & can't see them getting a game then he may just let them leave.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on December 02, 2011, 09:09:31 AM
Jol is dead set on getting the average age down and I think he may sacrifice good players to do so. Dempsey and Dembele I think willl leave by choice.

It will be interesting to see if Jol lets Murphy go and makes Hangeland Captain or if he needs the wider qualities he brings for another season.

Having older players has given an element of continuity and stability in the playing staff because older players are lesslikjely to be coveted and courted by others clubs and agents. I would like to see players like Davies & Hughes staying but if Jol brings in others & can't see them getting a game then he may just let them leave.

Dembele will leave at some point, but I dont think Dempsey will. He is one of our best players and a good source of goals. He is the player that everyone always says will leave, but he never actually does.

Murphy is here to stay (I do think Jol really likes him and recognises his importance to the team) until he retires.

AJ will be gone in Jan, and BZ on his way out at some point soon. Neither will be a big loss if we can find the right replacement.

ClarksOriginal

We are stale, and indeed need new blood. But that many changes could lead to us becoming Sunderland-esque. Nobody wants that.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 02, 2011, 09:27:25 AM
We are stale, and indeed need new blood. But that many changes could lead to us becoming Sunderland-esque. Nobody wants that.

Sunderland are the product of continuous changes in personnel. We have had very little churn factor and now need new faces. Integration would be a problem, but so is playing with a team of old players who are not interested in playing for the new manager.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 02, 2011, 09:33:47 AM

Sunderland are the product of continuous changes in personnel. We have had very little churn factor and now need new faces. Integration would be a problem, but so is playing with a team of old players who are not interested in playing for the new manager.

Quite correct, but the proposed clear out of the above would lead to us signing near on 11 new players, as Sunderland did this summer, and then intergrating them as you said.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on December 02, 2011, 09:37:23 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 02, 2011, 09:33:47 AM

Quite correct, but the proposed clear out of the above would lead to us signing near on 11 new players, as Sunderland did this summer, and then intergrating them as you said.

I agree, but think Sunderland are a different case.

Still, there is no point being afraid of change, because change has to happen.

Jol needs new players because the current ones cannot/will not play his system and are too old to use as a base for the future.

BalDrick

'Dembele will only go if he won't resign.'

Dembele will only go if he won't re-sign. Very important things commas you know. I don't claim any interior knowledge but I'd be very surprised if he did re-sign. QED sale starts here - let's start the bidding at £12M and see where we go.

I don't understand why he persists in playing, or at least starting with, Zamora - from what I've read, heard and seen he's shot of confidence and/or happiness. Of course it can't happen in Europe next game (though frankly if we can't beat Odense we might as well pack up and go home now), but a combo of Ruiz and AJ seems a good idea to me.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on December 02, 2011, 09:57:46 AM

Dembele will only go if he won't re-sign. Very important things commas you know. I don't claim any interior knowledge but I'd be very surprised if he did re-sign. QED sale starts here - let's start the bidding at £12M and see where we go.

I don't understand why he persists in playing, or at least starting with, Zamora - from what I've read, heard and seen he's shot of confidence and/or happiness. Of course it can't happen in Europe next game (though frankly if we can't beat Odense we might as well pack up and go home now), but a combo of Ruiz and AJ seems a good idea to me.

I would seriously think about a 4-2-3-1 that does uses Ruiz and Sa. When we played Chelsea, Sa and Ruiz were very much on the same page. With our other strikers being as useful as a chocolate teapot up front, they should be dropped.

The sooner we get rid of AJ in Jan the better. Such an average player.

aussierod

Will be slightly happy when AJ goes (same as Duff), he's on high wages for little return, although he is a hard worker, we should be looking to offload his wages and bring in a cheaper, younger, fresher player with something to prove. Zamora, in his chance to play his way into a European Championship looks uninterested and ineffective, some moments of brilliance aside. Again, unfortunately I wouldn't be overly upset if we got good money for him and a replacement was brought in that could do the business. The majority of the rest (Halliche & Riise jnr), I would like to keep, just for competition and experience
The 4-2-3-1 style is something I'd like us to build towards and we have some excellent players capable of playing this, however currently we are inbetween sides, neither 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 currently look effective. Ruiz will excel playing out wide in a 4-2-3-1, as will Dembele and Dempsey, however again, if offered good money for one of them and that money was wisely spent on something on a more than capable replacement then I wouldn't be too bothered.
At the end of the day, all players are replaceable. Look at Newcastle, most people inluding myself, thought they would struggle after offload Carroll (who at the time was in excellent form), Nolan (their captain and leading goalscorer too I think), Barton (fans favourite) & the left back whose name escapes me, but they have brought in young, fresh, focused players from the smaller continental leagues on much cheaper wages. If we could sell Duff, AJ, Zamora and say a prized asset like Dempsey or Dembele for silly money, we would have perhaps 20million+ which if we could get say Gignac cheaply and some cracking young French/Belgium/Dutch etc international players then I would think I'd be relatively happy with how we were looking, both for the current and the future
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Jimpav

Quote from: BalDrick on December 02, 2011, 09:57:46 AM

Dembele will only go if he won't re-sign. Very important things commas you know.

I was scratching my head for a minute or so too, but to be a true pedant I would point out that a hyphen is more important than a comma in this case  :53:

The Equalizer

I'd like to keep Dembele as I feel that we haven't seen much of his potential, and he's still getting to grips with the English game and his own skills.

Dempsey, AJ and Zamora can all bugger off come January as far as I'm concerned. Demps probably costs us more points than he gets us due to his greed. Yes, he can score wonder goals when their least expected, but he also scuffs so many chances when he should have passed the ball to someone else. AJ is sub-standard, no matter how well he has done in this season. Zamora is just a lazy and stroppy ****.

After every game I get more and more hacked off with Fulham and our players. Last night I was ready to tear up my season ticket and move across to Harlequins once and for all. Only to realise that my season ticket is made of plastic.  bang head
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 02, 2011, 12:35:44 PM

Dempsey, AJ and Zamora can all bugger off come January as far as I'm concerned. Demps probably costs us more points than he gets us due to his greed. Yes, he can score wonder goals when their least expected, but he also scuffs so many chances when he should have passed the ball to someone else.
My word I thought I was sometimes critical of Dempsey, your for it now mate.  086.gif

twang

Demps probably costs us more points than he gets us due to his greed. Yes, he can score wonder goals when their least expected, but he also scuffs so many chances when he should have passed the ball to someone else.

Deary me, are you for real?

epsomraver

I'd like to keep Dembele as I feel that we haven't seen much of his potential, and he's still getting to grips with the English game and his own skills.

Dempsey, AJ and Zamora can all bugger off come January as far as I'm concerned. Demps probably costs us more points than he gets us due to his greed. Yes, he can score wonder goals when their least expected, but he also scuffs so many chances when he should have passed the ball to someone else. AJ is sub-standard, no matter how well he has done in this season. Zamora is just a lazy and stroppy ****.

After every game I get more and more hacked off with Fulham and our players. Last night I was ready to tear up my season ticket and move across to Harlequins once and for all. Only to realise that my season ticket is made of plastic.  bang head

I really felt the same, "a workman like performance", yeah so is painting a fence!, I felt sorry for those who spent good earned money to go out there and watch that dross.

ClarksOriginal

After every game I get more and more hacked off with Fulham and our players. Last night I was ready to tear up my season ticket and move across to Harlequins once and for all. Only to realise that my season ticket is made of plastic.  bang head

Oh no EQ! Can you hear that? It's the rumbling footsteps of the DDL! (Dempsey Defence League) they're coming to get you!
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

The Equalizer

Bring em on. He's a luxury player and a liability and I've had enough of him.

I don't care of he's the highest scoring Yank of all time, he's also one of the greediest players I've ever seen.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

richie17

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 02, 2011, 12:55:36 PM
Bring em on. He's a luxury player and a liability and I've had enough of him.

I don't care of he's the highest scoring Yank of all time, he's also one of the greediest players I've ever seen.

Opinions are opinions and these days we're all taught to value one anothers and not be mean, but at some point there has to be a minimum level of cogency.  Since this is a message board it's all about exchanging views, I think perhaps the onus is on you to convince us of this point, rather than for others to debunk it (just as if I stressed that there are green daleks doing the nightshift in Lidl, it would be up to me to convince people that this is not just the uttering of a madman).  Otherwise saying something like this looks like it's just to get a reaction.