News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mladen Petric to sign on a free tomorrow??

Started by os5889, June 27, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

Very good signing, hope we'll sign another younger forward, too.

Lighthouse

Quote from: kiwiwaka on June 27, 2012, 11:21:38 PM
Lighthouse is that based on the fact he's 31? He'd be a fantastic signing with a fee, let alone a free transfer. We need 4-5 strikers, and if he's even 3rd choice (if we were to sign 1 or 2 'main' strikers) that's better than IMO having AJ.

I agree with you. We need strikers and as one of them he is great business. But yes at 31 he is a replacement for AJ.  I hope for future transfers of younger forwards as well. All I said was I hope he is just a good back up. I am sure he is a great player. But at 31 there is a feeling he is past his best.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

kiwiwaka

28-33 is probably the peak for a lot of strikers. Depending on their style of course. Definitely refreshing to be linked with (albeit it only rumours) proven quality players that are also linked with the likes of Arsenal, Utd, Inter etc instead of players also linked with League One/Championship quality sides!

Admin

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 27, 2012, 11:28:58 PM
Quote from: kiwiwaka on June 27, 2012, 11:21:38 PM
Lighthouse is that based on the fact he's 31? He'd be a fantastic signing with a fee, let alone a free transfer. We need 4-5 strikers, and if he's even 3rd choice (if we were to sign 1 or 2 'main' strikers) that's better than IMO having AJ.

I agree with you. We need strikers and as one of them he is great business. But yes at 31 he is a replacement for AJ.  I hope for future transfers of younger forwards as well. All I said was I hope he is just a good back up. I am sure he is a great player. But at 31 there is a feeling he is past his best.

We could also say that about Drogba but he seemed to have yet another good season at 34. The way he bullied Gallas that time against Spurs and sent that rocket into their net was just awsome.

Mr Fulham

Again, he's not a typical poacher. We definitely need one, but Petric is still a handy option to have up front.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 27, 2012, 11:15:20 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 27, 2012, 11:02:08 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 27, 2012, 10:59:12 PM
He is at best a bench warmer. At 31 I hope he is just a good back up.

Big watcher of the Bundesliga are you?

Do I sense a slight sarcastic tone to your post? Oh well its you Big Al so of coarse I do. No not a big follower of the German league. But as a simple thick idiot who knows little of the complicated goings on of the game we call football. Football is the right word isn't it? Anyhoo at 31 he isn't the player he was. Just an opinion. If he is going to be our main striker I fear for the season. There you go another stupid opinion. But its mine.

Apparently I can't ask a question without people jumping down my throat.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not all opinions are equal.

For example, in this case, the opinion of someone who has watched Petric frequently last season is worth more than someone who hasn't.

Admin

Lighthouse

Then Mr Al a simple 'I watched him many times last season and consider him a fine signing even at 31'. Instead of 'Big Watcher of the Bundesliga are you?' Would have been a far nicer comment and post and would have encouraged conversation on the matter.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LukeJennings

Reminds me a little of gera for some reason...
Twitter; @lukealele

My YouTube channel - http://m.youtube.com/user/LukeJennings9

Please subscribe!

kiwiwaka

Petric managed 12 goals in 25 games under Jol, too..

Ordar

Petric would be a fantastic signing, and as always I trust Jol on anyone he signs due to his phenomenal record in the transfer market.

Signing Petric to me, suggests playing a front 2.

Having not watched much German football, could he and Ruiz play off of each other?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Ordar on June 28, 2012, 12:18:42 AM

Nope.

Having not watched much German football, could he and Ruiz play off of each other?

Nope. :59:

EJL

Am I right in saying that Petric has never been very quick? Most have concerns over a player's age because "the older he gets the slower he'll be." (supposedly) If that wasn't a big part of his game in the first place then surely it's not an issue? Free transfer? Yes please! (Perhaps too many question marks in that passage?)

Bassey the warrior

Petric would be a fantastic signing, and as always I trust Jol on anyone he signs due to his phenomenal record in the transfer market.

I would be very surprised if Jol reverted to playing 2 up top. Zamora fell out with him because he didn't do so, AJ and Pogo never really took to it.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: kiwiwaka on June 27, 2012, 11:26:29 PM
Well 4-5 in the squad yeah - and we won't always play with 1. I think we just had to last season. Having one or two standout strikers, then Sa and a youngster is a good selection. I'd be delighted if we ended up with the striking options of Defoe, Petric, Sa and then either another striker (english ideally) and then Trotta/Ruiz/Dempsey for further cover.
Pretty sure we will always play with one. I expect the most we'll sign will be three as we have Sa already. Trotta is on the horizon too.

Ordar

Quote from: Mr Fulham on June 28, 2012, 12:24:57 AM

Nope.

Given the flack I got for that comment I thought I'd best reply. In no way, to my mind can Petric play a lone striker role, so, to ask a different question why would Jol be attempting to sign him if he intends to keep the same formation. Petric would not be a bench player

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Ordar on June 28, 2012, 01:40:05 AM

Nope.

Given the flack I got for that comment I thought I'd best reply. In no way, to my mind can Petric play a lone striker role, so, to ask a different question why would Jol be attempting to sign him if he intends to keep the same formation. Petric would not be a bench player
Interesting.

twang

Quote from: Ordar on June 28, 2012, 01:40:05 AM

Nope.

He's been doing it for HSV quite often, although he usually have had someone like Guerrero (big and strong) just behind him.

Personally I'm excited about this possible signing. We're in desperate need of one or two strikers and to sign an experienced striker of Petric quality on a free would be a great start to the window, and would hopefully mean that Jol & co can start trying to bring in a more up-and-coming one during the next couple of months.

If he signs we at least know who will take the pens!

elgreenio

Would be a good start and allow Jol some breathing time to find the right forward to take us to the next level. Not convinced he'll be able to get 15+ a season but on a free he's definitely a good addition. Has he retired from international footy?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.