News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - RVP to Man United, fee agreed official, ouch!

Started by os5889, August 15, 2012, 07:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patterson

It's a variety of reasons that Van Persie goes for 20+ and we get laughed at for offering Clint for 10.  RVP is coming from Arsenal and has been a big name for almost a decade.  You won't get the same value for an American player hitting his peak at 30.  It's sad to say and I partially agree that Demps is undervalued at 10, but it's a reality of the type of club we are and the types of players we generally have.  They're either "past their best" like Duff or Murphy or they are up and comers like the two Dems.  Fulham is either a slight step up or down, depending on which player you're talking about.  Of course, there are always stories like Brede Hangeland who came here for cheap from a lower league in terms of competition and has blown everyone away with his displays of world-class defending.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

MikeR

£24 million for Van Porcelain is foolish, even if SAF signed off on it. This man played in 20 or more league games in two seasons out of eight with Arsenal, and that was during his best years. If he signs a four-year deal, it could take the entire contract period for him to play the equivalent of one season.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

Patterson

Good for Arsenal getting a good fee for a player that has been murmuring about leaving for greener pastures for many an off-season now.  They have Giroud and Podolski up front now and I believe that makes up the goals you're losing with RVP going to Man U.

Man U now have a disgustingly frightening attack.

CincyFulham1

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 15, 2012, 10:17:20 PM
Quote from: Enter the Frei on August 15, 2012, 09:27:27 PM
cheeky loan bid for Dimitiar anyone? I think Jol may have signed him at Spurs and he's probably 5th choice now

I can see that happening but boy we would be rubbish without the ball  fp.gif. Great with it, but hardly blessed with players that could win it back, once lost.

I would take him, but I don't think that he would fit in with MJ's style of play.

Enter the Frei

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 15, 2012, 10:22:09 PM
cheeky loan bid for Dimitiar anyone? I think Jol may have signed him at Spurs and he's probably 5th choice now

Loan?

well I assume his wages would be pretty big, much larger than we could afford

Patterson

Quote from: MikeR on August 15, 2012, 10:25:11 PM
£24 million for Van Porcelain is foolish, even if SAF signed off on it. This man played in 20 or more league games in two seasons out of eight with Arsenal, and that was during his best years. If he signs a four-year deal, it could take the entire contract period for him to play the equivalent of one season.

I'm with you here.  I think Arsenal wins this deal handedly.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Enter the Frei on August 15, 2012, 10:32:23 PM

Loan?

he's for sale.

Berserker

I'm sure that is why Arsenal sold him to Man U, lots of spondulics
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Enter the Frei

Quote from: Mr Fulham on August 15, 2012, 10:40:39 PM
Quote from: Enter the Frei on August 15, 2012, 10:32:23 PM

Loan?

he's for sale.

But if they can't sell him loanings the best alternative, I was just speculating

Bassey the warrior

If Berbatov would drop his wages to £60,000 per week then sign him and make him the top earner. He is world class and will bring us lots of goals. He would fit in perfectly into our line up. Although he needs to be less lazy. If not then obviously we can't afford him.

Mr_Moon

Alex Ferguson's valuation of Van Persie should not be used as a yardstick for Fulham or our fans' valuation of Dempsey.

Two different players playing in different positions in entirely different situations.

cebu

Quote from: The Moose on August 15, 2012, 08:33:37 PM
I would be absolutely furious if I were an Arsenal fan. At Van Persie of course but more at the board. They have shown no ambition whatsoever.

It might end up being a shrewd move, if the allegedly £20m+ transfer fee is invested wisely. SAF hasn't always made wise choices with his big money signings - I'm remembering him pursuing Owen Hargreaves despite the player's horrible injury record at Bayern Munich.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: alexbishop on August 15, 2012, 09:33:12 PM

Only reason his value is half of Van Persie's is because he's American and plays for Fulham.
fp.gif

...and is a considerably worse player than Robin van Persie.

I should add.

btings

RvP is a better player, but I don't think he's 2.5x the player.  Poor Deuce; I imagine Jol showing him the morning papers and saying, "See?  This is why we won't let you go for less than 10m."

HatterDon

This will give Arsenal the money necessary to buy Dempsey which will give Fulham the money necessary to sign Jordan Rhodes.

Simple; everybody wins.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

Quote from: MikeR on August 15, 2012, 10:25:11 PM

and, for the last season and a half, absolutely dominated defenses in "the best league in the world." If you set aside the fact that all money spent on transfers is silly money, exactly which footballer in this league is worth more than RVP? The most difficult thing to do in football is to score goals, and nobody has come close to being in his league for the last 18-20 months.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

JBH

Didn't the same certain manager buy a highly rated and prolific striker called Berbatov and turn him into a bench warmer???

Arsenal fans should be applauding there club for mugging MANU for £20 + for a player with 12 months left on his contract and no intention of signing a new one.

I hope Arsenal come in for Dempsey now with a bid of £10 mil + so that we can re invest it on a striker.

JBH

Clint is also less injury prone and still banged in 20+ goals playing on the left!

Only reason his value is half of Van Persie's is because he's American and plays for Fulham. It's a sad world...

Also he is half the player that van Persie is fp.gif

alexbishop

Quote from: JBH on August 16, 2012, 06:59:27 AM
Clint is also less injury prone and still banged in 20+ goals playing on the left!

Only reason his value is half of Van Persie's is because he's American and plays for Fulham. It's a sad world...

Also he is half the player that van Persie is fp.gif

Well that's just not true. Obviously Van Persie is a better player but not twice the player. And we all know players aren't valued based on 'he's a 9/10' player and he's a '7/10' player. A player is valued based on their importance to the selling club, the players contract and the player's talent/potential.

Dempsey is just as important to Fulham as Van Persie is to Aresnal, both had one year to run on their respective contracts and both are a similar age. Van Persie scored 30 odd goals as a striker and Dempsey scored 20 odd goals as a left sided midfielder in the same league. So does that make Van Persie worth £15m more than Dempsey? I would argue not.

Based on Van Persie's valuation I would argue Clint is worth nearer £15m than 10 to the right buying club. But if no one wants/needs a goal scoring midfielder in their squad then I guess he's worth sweet f all and should sign a new contract :)
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

LRCN

Quote from: btings on August 16, 2012, 04:06:46 AM
RvP is a better player, but I don't think he's 2.5x the player.  Poor Deuce; I imagine Jol showing him the morning papers and saying, "See?  This is why we won't let you go for less than 10m."

prices rise exponentially.