News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - RVP to Man United, fee agreed official, ouch!

Started by os5889, August 15, 2012, 07:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

I am going to add my voice to the £10m for Dempsey is not a rip off at all camp.

Is he as good as Van Persie? No, but they are similar ages and his injury record is much, much better than RVP's. Considering they are both going into the end of their careers, and injuries will become more frequent, I think this is an important point.

As for RVP himself - he has had a phenomenal 18 months. Before that he had the talent and the potential but injuries were getting in the way. Wenger stuck by him and is repaid like this. Dempsey has had a phenomenal 2 year period, having grown immensely as a player. He is a more determined character than RVP and would play his heart out for a team in the CL. He is a big game player and has proven time and time again that he can deliver the goods.

Is Dempsey worth £24m in the last year of his contract? No, but £10m is getting him on the cheap.

MJG

I think we all agree 10m is cheap and earlier in the year we were all talking 12-15 maybe.
The problem is that he seems not to be wanted by those big clubs. Maybe one wants him but not two. He's like a house, its only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I would take 10 in a heartbeat and do not agree with those who say we owe him a free transfer next year. Let him play out the year. He might play out until January and then like most players in his position they start jumping out of tackles and not putting the effort in.

Ask yourselves why, with five different managers he has always had to win them over. He's a bloody difficult player to fit in a team, that's why they are all not banging on fulham's door to pay top wack, because they are just not sure of him.

TonyGilroy

I don't understand why the length of time left on a contract affects the valuation for a buying club.

The selling club has to balance what they're being offered with the nil value at the end of the contract but for the buying club it surely is a matter of how badly they want (and therefore value) that player.

It's not actually sending Dempsey much of an encouraging message if Liverpool would quite like him but only if he's cheap enough

cebu

Quote from: HatterDon on August 16, 2012, 05:02:51 AM
This will give Arsenal the money necessary to buy Dempsey which will give Fulham the money necessary to sign Jordan Rhodes.

Simple; everybody wins.

I was thinking the same thing.

Arsenal gets a wad of cash (or Hernandez plus a smaller wad of cash according to one unsubstantiated rumour), Demps gets CL football + a pay rise + he and his family don't get uprooted to move up north and Fulham can afford a signing like Rhodes even though the press claimed that it was "nailed on" that he would be plying his trade at another club by now.

If the Hernandez + cash rumour did pan out for Arsenal it would be a pretty shrewd piece of business for the North Londoners. Two healthy proven goal scorers versus RVP, one highly talented goal scorer with a bit of a track record on the injuries front.

Mr_Moon

So if Kagawa is worth £16m, does that make Dempsey worth 2p? And if Messi joined Barca on a free, does that make Dempsey  minus£40m?

Have I got the rules right? I like this game.

alexbishop

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 16, 2012, 11:21:50 AM
So if Kagawa is worth £16m, does that make Dempsey worth 2p? And if Messi joined Barca on a free, does that make Dempsey  minus£40m?

Have I got the rules right? I like this game.

:doh:

No one has suggested Dempsey's value should be directly related to Van Persie's or the value of any other transfer. The point is that Van Persie and Dempsey are in similar situations. Both have peaked over the last couple of seasons, both have spent a long time at their club, both have been crucial to their club's league position last season, both have a year left on their contracts and both are arguably the best player in the Premiership in their respective positions. This would suggest that if a club is willing to spend 24m on Van Persie then maybe our 10m valuation is a little on the cheap side for Dempsey. Then again a player's value depends on the buying club's need, so maybe Man U really need Van Persie to win the title this year. Liverpool's laughable valuation of Dempsey clearly shows they don't really need him. If they did they'd pay the 10m.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

AlFayedsChequebook

Mr_Moon

I know we're hardly likely to find an unbiased opinion of a Fulham player on here, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, Dempsey isn't the best in his position. Arsenal are at the top of the pile (or thereabouts), they are in that group of Champions League regulars that are untouchable and have a financial power that can't be matched by clubs like Fulham. Even if you make a comparison between Dempsey and Van Persie by saying they have been crucial to their clubs league positions, it doesn't mean that their goals/play should be valued the same. Van Persie has been integral to Arsenal the same way Ched Evans was for Sheffield United. All their values will be inflated, but Van Persies by more.

£10m for Dempsey is good business. I hope we sell because we aren't going to have this opportunity again.

Mr_Moon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 16, 2012, 11:41:48 AM

Great response. Really adds to the debate.
fp.gif

Funny that, I was half way through my second post when I thought I'd have a quick check to see which sad act would post something along those lines.

It's for effect. Ever heard the phrase less is more?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 16, 2012, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 16, 2012, 11:41:48 AM

Great response. Really adds to the debate.
fp.gif

Funny that, I was half way through my second post when I thought I'd have a quick check to see which sad act would post something along those lines.

It's for effect. Ever heard the phrase less is more?

No.

alexbishop

Quote from: Mr_Moon on August 16, 2012, 11:48:03 AM
I know we're hardly likely to find an unbiased opinion of a Fulham player on here, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, Dempsey isn't the best in his position. Arsenal are at the top of the pile (or thereabouts), they are in that group of Champions League regulars that are untouchable and have a financial power that can't be matched by clubs like Fulham. Even if you make a comparison between Dempsey and Van Persie by saying they have been crucial to their clubs league positions, it doesn't mean that their goals/play should be valued the same. Van Persie has been integral to Arsenal the same way Ched Evans was for Sheffield United. All their values will be inflated, but Van Persies by more.

£10m for Dempsey is good business. I hope we sell because we aren't going to have this opportunity again.

To be fair Clint's 14 goals or whatever it was season before last wasn't bad either! He's only ever shown improvement. I dont want to get into a debate about how good a player Clint is because thats very subjective but he was up there in most writer's players of the season. Look if clubs like Liverpool don't want a potential 15+ goals a season midfielder in their team then fair enough, we'll happily keep him, but if they do then they should pay what he's worth or sod off.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

Mr_Moon

Quote from: alexbishop on August 16, 2012, 11:57:59 AM

To be fair Clint's 14 goals or whatever it was season before last wasn't bad either! He's only ever shown improvement. I dont want to get into a debate about how good a player Clint is because thats very subjective but he was up there in most writer's players of the season. Look if clubs like Liverpool don't want a potential 15+ goals a season midfielder in their team then fair enough, we'll happily keep him, but if they do then they should pay what he's worth or sod off.

Of course, Clint had a couple of very good seasons previous to last year with 11-12 being his pinnacle. I can't see him producing that again. Don't get me wrong, I think Clint is a fantastic player and I'm ever so grateful for the work he's put in over the past few years, but we're at a point where we have to make a decision. For the criticism of Liverpool not needing him, do we really need him? I know he's versatile but he predominantly plays on the left. In my eyes we have an ageing asset which we can sell for good money that is preventing two exciting youngsters (Kacaniklic & Frei) from having valuable first team football. Dempsey is expendable, so do we desperately need him? It's actually funny because neither us or Liverpool particularly need Dempsey in the same way Arsenal or Man Utd don't particularly need Van Persie beyond squad depth.

Chequebook: You're learning. Keep it up.

alexbishop

I do understand what you're saying but....

...whilst we may not need Clint the left sided midfielder but we do need Clint the guy that scored 20 goals last season. It would be far cheaper and easier to get Clint signed up for another couple of years than source another player to score those 20goals. Likewise Aresnal will have to hope Padolski replaces Van Persie's goals. Man U need Van Perise because they lost the title last season on goal difference and want to make sure that doesn't happen again this season. 
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

Mr_Moon

Arsenal have essentially bought Podolski and Giroud with the Van Persie money. A fantastic deal. I don't really subscribe to Man Utd needing Van Persie because they lost the title on goal difference. I'm going to wait until 1st September to make a proper judgement but they lost the league because Man City were better all over the pitch. That £24m could have been used to strengthen areas in their team that really do need attention e.g. fullback and central midfield. Maybe then they wouldn't have conceded 4 against Everton and so on.

Clint's 20 goals were good, but what's to say his replacement wouldn't score some or that the chances Clint had wouldn't instead be passed to another player.

HatterDon

I think I'll start a thread about landscape gardening just to see how long it will take to become all about Dempsey.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

alexbishop

Fulham Fan Est. 1997

sipwell

Quote from: HatterDon on August 16, 2012, 01:15:19 PM
I think I'll start a thread about landscape gardening just to see how long it will take to become all about Dempsey.

Garden Landscaping is big in Japan. Isn't Kagawa Japanese? And is Kagawa not worth 16 million?So, since Kagawa is Japanese and Dempsey likes sushi, he must be worth 16 million.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

epsomraver

Please make all grass is flat as Dempsey falls over very easily at times :005:

Berserker

Quote from: sipwell on August 16, 2012, 03:47:41 PM

Garden Landscaping is big in Japan. Isn't Kagawa Japanese? And is Kagawa not worth 16 million?So, since Kagawa is Japanese and Dempsey likes sushi, he must be worth 16 million.

I don't think a thread about allotments could
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.