more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on April 19, 2010, 10:38:15 AM

Steve, after 10 years of trying to find a decent ruby this side of the Atlantic, I've taken to brewing up my own.

So, if you know your way around the kitchen, I'll send you/post the recipe if you, or anyone else, wants. Be warned, it's a little hot for the average American taste, but you can change that by altering the ingredient amount. The good thing is it doesn't use any processed foods except the tomato paste.

Quote from: Steve_orino on April 13, 2010, 11:36:36 PM
One cuisine I'm interested in is the Indian Curry.  I've read plenty where Finn & FatFred RAVE about a good Curry but I've come to understand that I can't get a proper one here in the States...

Another cuisine I have yet to try is Thai.  A lot of close family & friends seem to have had it and like it but I haven't tried it. 

Any suggestions or thoughts on Thai?
Mr Logicalman,

I wouldn't mind having a go at your recipe so please post/pm it. I am no Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen, but not too shabby either. My GF is excellent, but she does need some more proper Ruby exposure before it clicks, but she is getting there.

Don't worry about spices, I am a "vindaloo and 6 pints of lager" man  :026:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Logicalman on April 20, 2010, 02:03:40 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 19, 2010, 09:31:59 PM
LM you're not Texas White from the Offal are you? He was a Hayes / Northolt borders lad from Kingshill i think.

Freddy, No mate, I use the same monika on all the MBs, just to avoid confusion (for me  :011:)  I grew up at Lillie Road and Hammersmiths Peabody's before moving out to Hanwell and then further afield.

I did live In Southall for a while and used to go to the target pub on Thursday lunchtimes for the topless lasses dancing there. :004:
You must have bumped into Stan Bowles in there then, Apparantley he almost lived in the Target when Rangers used to train by the polish war memorial.

Steve_orino

Quote from: finnster01 on April 20, 2010, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 19, 2010, 10:38:15 AM

Steve, after 10 years of trying to find a decent ruby this side of the Atlantic, I've taken to brewing up my own.

So, if you know your way around the kitchen, I'll send you/post the recipe if you, or anyone else, wants. Be warned, it's a little hot for the average American taste, but you can change that by altering the ingredient amount. The good thing is it doesn't use any processed foods except the tomato paste.

Quote from: Steve_orino on April 13, 2010, 11:36:36 PM
One cuisine I'm interested in is the Indian Curry.  I've read plenty where Finn & FatFred RAVE about a good Curry but I've come to understand that I can't get a proper one here in the States...

Another cuisine I have yet to try is Thai.  A lot of close family & friends seem to have had it and like it but I haven't tried it. 

Any suggestions or thoughts on Thai?
Mr Logicalman,

I wouldn't mind having a go at your recipe so please post/pm it. I am no Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen, but not too shabby either. My GF is excellent, but she does need some more proper Ruby exposure before it clicks, but she is getting there.

Don't worry about spices, I am a "vindaloo and 6 pints of lager" man  :026:

I don't know my way arond the kitchen but the missus sure does...feel free to post or PM me the recipe too, please.  I appreciate it.  Unfortunately I'm not a Vindaloo so you'll have to warn me on wich parts of the recipe can get spicy so we can make sure to go easy on those parts  :015:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Logicalman

Here you go, after trying many different 'authentic' recipes out, this is the one I have found the best, though I invite anyone else to post theirs, and I'll try it out, enjoy.....

This recipe appears on a number of websites. I have altered it slightly for my own tastes, and hotness.
Note that Garam Masala is available, perhaps not at every supermarket, but at Asian or spice stores especially. Ghee is a little harder to locate.

Ingredients:

1 lbs Beef (cubed in 1" cubes) (Can use chicken breast instead)
¼ cup Lemon juice
2 teaspoons Salt (I don't bother with this)
1 large finely chopped Onion (or 2 medium ones)
2 finely chopped Garlic cloves (I use minced garlic - available in all stores)
2 finely dried chopped Chiles (I use Green peppers for this part)
2 tablespoons ground Coriander
1 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon ground special one
2 teaspoons black Pepper
4 ounces Tomato paste (the 4 oz Hunts cans are great)
1¼ cup Beef stock - I use Bisto for this (Chicken Bisto for Chicken)
¼ cup Ghee (this is the liquid from the top of butter once heated and separated- I don't bother with this as I'm dieting - but virgin Olive Oil is just as good)
2 tablespoons Garam masala (this adds 'heat' at the end, so use a little sparingly)

Directions:

Sprinkle the lemon juice (and salt) over the meat in a bowl and leave to one side.
Mix the onion, garlic and peppers together well. Heat the ghee in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion mixture for 2 minutes (you can just fry the mixture up 'dry', or use Olive Oil, but keep an eye on it).
Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, special one and pepper, stir well and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add the meat and lemon juice; stir well to coat the meat with the spices. Cook 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste and stock, bring to a boil then cover and simmer gently 30-40 minutes until the meat begins to get tender.
Sprinkle in the garam masala and cook for a further 10 minutes.
The gravy should by this stage be very thick, if it is not remove the lid from the pan and increase the heat to boil off excess moisture until the gravy thickens.

I use a large Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized Shallow Saucepan rather than a deep one, much easier to stir/mix the ingredients and more even cooking.

Use Basmati rice if you have it, takes a little longer to cook, but well worth the wait - much less starch than ordinary white rice.

For taste, slice up a granny smith (or other tart apple), dried raisins and coconut (for Chicken meat) all add that little bit extra for the taste buds to drool over.

Keep plenty of cold drink on hand, but be assured, this isn't one of those that comes out as hot as it goes in (Gandhi's revenge)

McBridefan1

Here in Lowell Mass. Greek food is king... the Olympia or the Athenian Corner are the best... of course you can get polish food at the polish american club Portuguese food at either the blues or reds clubs on back central street... thai food everywhere, though I don't care for Carp... Baked fish or the Fisherman's platter at just about any pizza shop... then if you go to Boston there's all that plus the best Italian and French cuisine you can find anywhere... Also if you like a different take on burritos try either Moe's or Boloco's... you can find just about anything around these parts... I feel for you midwestern boys.

Tom

Quote from: McBridefan1 on April 21, 2010, 03:56:43 AM
Here in Lowell Mass. Greek food is king... the Olympia or the Athenian Corner are the best... of course you can get polish food at the polish american club Portuguese food at either the blues or reds clubs on back central street... thai food everywhere, though I don't care for Carp... Baked fish or the Fisherman's platter at just about any pizza shop... then if you go to Boston there's all that plus the best Italian and French cuisine you can find anywhere... Also if you like a different take on burritos try either Moe's or Boloco's... you can find just about anything around these parts... I feel for you midwestern boys.
My brother went to Umass McBridefan. Went there to play football and won the National Championship.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

mmm i'm partial to a bit of kleftico or stifardo, but i dont get them stuffed vine leaves.

McBridefan1

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 21, 2010, 07:05:10 AM
mmm i'm partial to a bit of kleftico or stifardo, but i dont get them stuffed vine leaves.

My dad's mum was Syrian they had much the same food as the greeks. anyway we had the grapevine on the fence and she would send me and my sister out to collect the leaves with small veins??? I used to look at my sister and ask WTF is she talking about they all have giant veins... anyway not one easter goes by that we don't eat grapeleaves at my dad's house... it's all good. Kusa was my favourite... I think that is what she called stuffed zuchini. I forget all the names now.

McBridefan1

Also I'm not sure why you English love Curry so much... I went to one indian restaurant also in Lowell, udibupi somthingorother (granted it was a vegitarian one) but I thought the food was bland. Maybe meat would have made it better???

FatFreddysCat

Obviously meat would have made it better McBride Duh! But has Finnster points out you cant get a good Ruby in the States. And if you got a bad one over here it really is bad, but most are good. Curry is by far the best food in the World, and it's English  :dft012: .

Logicalman

Quote from: McBridefan1 on April 22, 2010, 05:26:27 AM
Also I'm not sure why you English love Curry so much... I went to one indian restaurant also in Lowell, udibupi somthingorother (granted it was a vegitarian one) but I thought the food was bland. Maybe meat would have made it better???

MB1,
Try out that recipe on page 3 and then tell me curry is bland!!  Great food, so many varieties from the very spicy masala, to the delish smooth coconut kormas, and then the tandoori tikkas. You really need to get over to the UK and visit some good Indian restaurants mate, your taste buds will love you forever.

timmyg

Life is not complete without being a part of a crab (and/or oyster) feast here in MD.

There's nothing like Old Bay covering your fingers and face, with some cold Natty Boh to wash it all down on a hot and humid summer afternoon.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

YankeeJim

Quote from: timmyg on April 26, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
Life is not complete without being a part of a crab (and/or oyster) feast here in MD.

There's nothing like Old Bay covering your fingers and face, with some cold Natty Boh to wash it all down on a hot and humid summer afternoon.

TimmyG you speak the truth. I lived in St. Mary's County as a teen and young adult. Evan's Seafood House in Piny Point, Maryland was the best. We'd go out on thursday night for all the steamed crab you could eat. We'd sit & "pick" for hours. Great memories. On the west coast we have dunginess crab which is good but not near as sweet as those Chesterpeek blues. My neice in Big B sends me a resupply of Old Bay whenever I ask.
St. Mary's College of Maryland '73.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

McBridefan1

I went with my family one year to Ocean City so my son could wrestle in a tournament... I was dying to try a crab shack but we never made it... opportunity lost, it's like going to louisiana and not eating the gumbo or crawfish... or the deep south without going to a waffle and chicken shack or some sort of Bar-B-Que (the real kind)...

Logicalman

When I was up in Maine (2006 WC time) I made a point of visiting a few seafood places, and there is definately nothing like it. I'm jealous of you lot on the coast for that one reason alone.

finnster01

Very hard to argue with Maine lobster. First of all, it is fresh as fresh can be and then it is cheap on top!! :045:

I haven't stuffed my face with so much lobster and steamers in my life. Just outstanding, and a must for anyone travelling through that part of the world

jarv

Yes, lobster is great but what's this thing pouring melted butter on it....dreadful. I squeeze (lots) of fresh lemon on mine. So much better plus makes the white wine taste better too.

The perfect summer lunch....lobster (with lemon juice)!, mussels in white wine, with garlic, fresh bread and dipping oil all washed down with a light white wine.  (aussie pinot grigio, about $8 a bottle, good stuff).

McBridefan1

Quote from: jarv on April 27, 2010, 01:39:25 PM
Yes, lobster is great but what's this thing pouring melted butter on it....dreadful. I squeeze (lots) of fresh lemon on mine. So much better plus makes the white wine taste better too.

The perfect summer lunch....lobster (with lemon juice)!, mussels in white wine, with garlic, fresh bread and dipping oil all washed down with a light white wine.  (aussie pinot grigio, about $8 a bottle, good stuff).

Sorry brotha but copious amounts of melted butter with a couple pounds of steamers a nice strong beer with some flavor and then topping it off with a 3 pound lobster also dipped in butter is the best meal on earth... squeeze your lemons baby til the juice runs down your leg but I'll take mine with salty butter and beer... I purchase the bypass surgery for desert...mmmmm

FatFreddysCat

Chicken shaslik, Lamb pumpkin, Saag aloo, chicken vindaloo/ Madras , bamati rice and a keema nan job done.

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on April 27, 2010, 10:17:51 PM
Chicken shaslik, Lamb pumpkin, Saag aloo, chicken vindaloo/ Madras , bamati rice and a keema nan job done.
Not a bad lineup there Mr Freddy.
Not too crazy on the lamb pumpkin though, throw in some old school pakora's as well, would have any of Chicken/Lamb/Prawn vindaloo depending on my mood and the rest is all excellent and they are off at the races

And don't forget the 4-6 pints of lager mate.