more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on December 30, 2010, 12:41:38 AM
Hey Finn,  I got the Fonesca for my husband and he  loved it.  Thanks so much for the advice!  He got turned on to Port when we lived in England.  Port and cheese is my favorite dessert as I'm not much for sweets (other than cheesecake) and again that is something I took away from our time in your great country.
Only glad to help Ms Duff. I am sure he loved it and it does indeed go very well with a cheese plate that's for sure.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Late starter to this topic.

The Americans often have bacon, pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast. At the same time. And you complain about a bit of congealed pig blood?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 30, 2010, 09:26:18 AM
Late starter to this topic.

The Americans often have bacon, pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast. At the same time. And you complain about a bit of congealed pig blood?
I have an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) a block away from me. Fantastic stuff but incredibly unhealthy so I have to be careful and limit my visits, but a stack of those pancakes with syrup kicks real arse I must admit.

The Equalizer

Finns, I agree mate. But with bacon? Maple syrup on bacon? IT'S MADNESS!!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

YankeeJim

No! No! No!
Maple syrup on sausage. Here in America we even have a sausage brand that adds maple syrup to the sausage when making it.

Where's Freddie when you need him?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

duffbeer

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 30, 2010, 02:31:03 PM

As you're probably aware bacon in the UK and the US is different.  And are you talking real maple syrup or the fake stuff.  I dont remember seeing any maple syrup in the UK but that was 15 years ago and I wasnt really looking for it. 

pairing pork and ham with something sweet is commonly done in the States.  I used to make a pork loin that I roasted with a mixture of dijon mustard and maple syrup.  Dont make it anymore because the latter is so expensive and we no longer make our own maple syrup.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on December 30, 2010, 03:36:09 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on December 30, 2010, 02:31:03 PM

As you're probably aware bacon in the UK and the US is different.  And are you talking real maple syrup or the fake stuff.  I dont remember seeing any maple syrup in the UK but that was 15 years ago and I wasnt really looking for it. 

pairing pork and ham with something sweet is commonly done in the States.  I used to make a pork loin that I roasted with a mixture of dijon mustard and maple syrup.  Dont make it anymore because the latter is so expensive and we no longer make our own maple syrup.

Everything is a bit better with maple syrup. Oatmeal, pancakes, breakfast cereal, bacon, french toast, waffles, and even some yogurt.

Mo I will substitute molasses or honey for maple syrup on the ham. Works nearly as well.

EQ, don't knock it till you try it.   :dft011: Pork was meant to be paired with something sweet, as Mo points out.

YankeeJim

Pork is very good with apple sauce. Helps out with the dryer cuts. The ribs are best with a spicy rub or just bath them in a fine BBQ sauce.

FC Silver Fox

I'm best with a spicy rub too. I think I'll have a word with Mrs FC.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

YankeeJim

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on January 12, 2011, 10:50:38 PM
I'm best with a spicy rub too. I think I'll have a word with Mrs FC.

Don't know that pepper & your privates would be a good mix. I guess if we are odd enough to support Fulham, then we should try it. You go first and let me know how it is.  :026:

duffbeer

I use a spicey rub and put some Italian espresso into the sauce,  you might want to try it.

McBridefan1

I live in a state that brags about it's maple syrup (NH)... so why the phaq do I have to pay $12 for a 12 oz container of the stuff... maple syrup dealers are worse than drug dealers. Is there a maple tree shortage or something?

duffbeer

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 13, 2011, 11:14:47 PM
I live in a state that brags about it's maple syrup (NH)... so why the phaq do I have to pay $12 for a 12 oz container of the stuff... maple syrup dealers are worse than drug dealers. Is there a maple tree shortage or something?

Mcbridefan there should be some sort of abatement or reduced rate for you New Englanders. . . . for putting up with all those maple trees.  For the love of God I dont know how you do it.

mhatc

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 13, 2011, 11:14:47 PM

Vermont is the same or worse. I'm actually dating a maple syrup snob from there.

duffbeer

To my horror I discovered that this thread has been buried in the second page of this forum so I decided to take some action.   :028:

Due to the match, I assume that no one is cooking up something special for Valentine's Day.  For the same reason, I made my honey his special meal last night - Wine steamed King Crab Legs with Beurre blanc and Creamy Orzo.  To make the crab easier to prepare (can fit in a saute pan) and to eat, I use shears to cut the legs at each joint. I slit the cut pieces length-wize along the softer white part of the shell so it is very easy to get the meat out when eating.  The orzotto has fresh corn kernals, greens, lemon and garlic, along with some cream and parmesan.  Very rich meal but I only make it once a year.  BTW, my honey is my 10 year old, very expensive tastes for his age.

Happy Valentines Day!   :wine:

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on February 14, 2011, 04:39:20 PM
To my horror I discovered that this thread has been buried in the second page of this forum so I decided to take some action.   :028:

Due to the match, I assume that no one is cooking up something special for Valentine's Day.  For the same reason, I made my honey his special meal last night - Wine steamed King Crab Legs with Beurre blanc and Creamy Orzo.  To make the crab easier to prepare (can fit in a saute pan) and to eat, I use shears to cut the legs at each joint. I slit the cut pieces length-wize along the softer white part of the shell so it is very easy to get the meat out when eating.  The orzotto has fresh corn kernals, greens, lemon and garlic, along with some cream and parmesan.  Very rich meal but I only make it once a year.  BTW, my honey is my 10 year old, very expensive tastes for his age.

Happy Valentines Day!   :wine:
That sounds outstanding Ms Duff.  :clap_hands:

We're having omaha steaks, which I just tried and found nothing short of excellent. I'll do something with that, and a nice bottle of red should score me some brownie points. Couple that with my fresh PEI mussels starter in a cream sauce with Cognac, and a dash of dried hot peppers to put a bit of a bite to it and fresh artisan Italian bread and I will hopefully be off to a winner... :045: 

TheDaddy

My darling cooked me a lovely bit of joe blake last night garlic mushrooms fried eggs and side salad bloody lovely...
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

duffbeer

Quote from: TheDaddy on February 14, 2011, 07:20:21 PM
My darling cooked me a lovely bit of joe blake last night garlic mushrooms fried eggs and side salad bloody lovely...

You English are so funny when it comes to food names.  Dare I ask what is a "Joe Blake"  and why did your darling cook him up for you?

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on February 15, 2011, 05:35:01 PM

You English are so funny when it comes to food names.  Dare I ask what is a "Joe Blake"  and why did your darling cook him up for you?
Don't worry, he has me fooled too as Joe Blake to me is Cake but that recipe does seem not to be quite right unless it is separate dishes.

duffbeer

Quote from: finnster01 on February 15, 2011, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: duffbeer on February 15, 2011, 05:35:01 PM

Don't worry, he has me fooled too as Joe Blake to me is Cake but that recipe does seem not to be quite right unless it is separate dishes.

Oh, so it must be rhyming slang for steak.  Speaking of which, did your girlfriend like the Omaha's.  Do you get the filets?  I'm no good with steak unless I grill it on the barby, and I havent been able to do that lately.  Warm enough today though.  My mom claims beef/steak is no good these days because it's not dry-aged anymore.  Even if you can find it dry-aged nowadays it's as expensive as kobe beef.  You can get wet aged beef but  my mom says it's no good either.  My best friend believes in this dry aged stuff too, but I dont remember if beef was better when I was a kid cause I didnt like it all that much.  Anyone have an opinion on dry aged beef?

For Valentine's Day my husband brought home a 2006 Hidden Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon.  It was very nice but quite a big strong wine, even for a cab.  Would've gone nicely with steak, but unfortunately left overs were on the menu.