watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fellaini was he unplayable

Started by The Swan, November 05, 2012, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I know he is a good player but was he really unplayable. Anyone sitting near me in H5 could hear me shout at Hangeland to mark Fellaini when Everton had a corner or free kick.. I knew that he was the danger man and I was surprised to see that Hangeland never marked him. It was left to Hughes or even Baird. The two goals Fellaini scored  could have been avoided if he had been marked by our captain. Man marking is an art that has disappeared from our football and our team.
The Swan

Jambo

He was to a point unplayable but you rightly say that from set pieces why Brede didn't pick him up was strange.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

leonffc

Hangeland has nearly always picked up the smaller guy and Hughes the 'lump' ever since Hodgsons days for some reason.
I said in another thread, hangelands positioning for the second goal was terrible anyway. it was odds on that Fellani would out muscle Hughes or get a touch and turn on goal and Bredes starting position was too far away. By the time he lumbered across he wasn't able to cover the space behind Hughes's left / Shwartzers near post.
In laymans terms, Brede should have been just off Hughes left shoulder (in my opinion)

CH FFC

I do not feel that Fellaini was unplayable.  He needs to be marked closely, and played much more physical than we did.  Personally I felt that Baird/Diarra should have been man-marking him, and really put pressure on him.  He needed to be taken out of the game, and if he was double teamed that could have happened.  What was worse was that at times he was not marked at all.  Their last corner kick had Fellaini free from anyone in the middle of the box.

leonffc

The problem is that you can't have your holding midfielder man marking someone in the hole as they have two or three midfielders coming through to deal with. If he is in their space then they need to deal with him but generally you'll have a spare centre back and a spare full back picking up the 'front two' (2 CB's and the far FB I mean). It's how they do it that causes / solves the problem. As I said, for his second, Hughes attacked him but Riether was in no mans land to the right and Hangeland wasn't covering the space behind. That's three players!! Also worth noting that Hughes actually won the first header there but it got a lucky bounce of Fellaini

HatterDon

The player we needed to keep Fellaini in check was Etuhu. We don't have any midfielder with the physical presence that Dickson brought us. HAD he been with us and HAD he kept Fellaini somewhat in check, however, there would have been 825 posts about how he only passes sideways to the guy closest to him and he brings nothing to the squad.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Vinnieffc

Quote from: HatterDon on November 06, 2012, 12:24:43 PM
The player we needed to keep Fellaini in check was Etuhu. We don't have any midfielder with the physical presence that Dickson brought us. HAD he been with us and HAD he kept Fellaini somewhat in check, however, there would have been 825 posts about how he only passes sideways to the guy closest to him and he brings nothing to the squad.

826 'cos I'd have added to that  :005:

A Humble Man

Quote from: Vinnieffc on November 06, 2012, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 06, 2012, 12:24:43 PM

826 'cos I'd have added to that  :005:

Sidwell could have done a job on him, but Jol did not expect him to be so good.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

ffc73

I seem to recall that Fellani destroyed us twice last season at Goodison. Once in the FA Cup & again in the league. Etuhu was on our playing staff then but it still didn't stop the Belgian.

Don't agree with man marking & if we had employed Sidwell in that role he probably would have been sent off. Brede's positioning was poor for the first but also remember that Baird let Fellaini run unopposed into the box. If Baird had 'man marked' him then he might have averted a goal. Might

I think we should just accept that Fellaini had a great game on Saturday.

sipwell

I think Fellaini is on such a roll that he simply is unstoppable. Remember that he ripped Man Utd apart as well. He has been absolutely massive...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Riverside

No Fellaini was not unplayable . He was though v good. It was clear that he was likely to score .

No Diarra , Baird nor Sidwell could have man marked him - none of the as physical .

It would though have been interesting to see how Senderos would have managed with him . I think well . BUT would Senderos has kept how concentration for 90 mins .

A Humble Man

Quote from: Riverside on November 06, 2012, 08:39:58 PM
No Fellaini was not unplayable . He was though v good. It was clear that he was likely to score .

No Diarra , Baird nor Sidwell could have man marked him - none of the as physical .

It would though have been interesting to see how Senderos would have managed with him . I think well . BUT would Senderos has kept how concentration for 90 mins .

You are right about Senderos he is an excellent defender for most of the time, but like most of the French nation has a short attention span and a 90 minute plus programme is too long for him.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

EJL

ffcbulgaria

Quote from: A Humble Man on November 06, 2012, 10:17:58 PM
You are right about Senderos he is an excellent defender for most of the time, but like most of the French nation has a short attention span and a 90 minute plus programme is too long for him.

Are you 100% sure he's from the french part of Switzerland?

A Humble Man

Quote from: ffcbulgaria on November 07, 2012, 01:51:19 AM

Must be or my theory is shot.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Berserker

Your theory is shot as it is being unfair on the French. You can't make sweeping statements about a whole nation.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cebu

Quote from: A Humble Man on November 07, 2012, 06:47:48 AM

His father is Spanish ...
His mother is Serbian ...

Yeah, your (completely racist) drivel is , well, drivel. But don't worry, you're being completely in character, so people love you just as much as they did before.   :023:

A Humble Man

Quote from: cebu on November 07, 2012, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: A Humble Man on November 07, 2012, 06:47:48 AM

His father is Spanish ...
His mother is Serbian ...

Yeah, your (completely racist) drivel is , well, drivel. But don't worry, you're being completely in character, so people love you just as much as they did before.   :023:

When I was Bombastic it was fine to talk shallow drivel but now I am Humble I must be more politically correct.  Admonishment accepted.  I love the Swiss actually a very  beautiful Country and nice people who do not resent you if you cannot speak their language and most speak perfect English and are pleased to use it.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

licker

I think you were unlucky that Fellaini chose this game as one of his good ones, he usually has about six a season. Man utd in the 1st game of the season was the previous one but since then he has been very quiet.
Its mostly been good team performances that have got us top four and in fact in 10 league and 2 cup games we have already had 8 players voted MOTM by the supporters ......

2- Baines .... Newcastle, Wigan
2- Mirallas ... Liverpool, L Orient (L cup)
2- Anichebe.. Swansea, Leeds (L cup)
2- Fellaini .... Man Utd, Fulham
1- Pienaar ... Aston Villa
1- Osman .... West Brom
1- Jelavic .... Southampton
1- Jagielka .. Q P Rangers

Read more: http://bills-footyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?