watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Press Conference tomorrow in Florida

Started by rusty shackleford, July 18, 2013, 08:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Presumably in the US as didn't he return for family reasons?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

b+w geezer

QuoteFunny you should mention that. I heard from quite a good source that the club was interested in installing McBride as Ambassador of Football at Fulham.  
No connection with Jacksonville, but he is an Illinois boy.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Admin on July 18, 2013, 10:09:08 PM
And most likely unveil Peter Odemwingie, Lee Catermolle and poxy Phil Bardsley  fp.gif  
You forgot to add the latest player touted as shortly signing for us Ridgewell :Get Coat gif:

rusty shackleford

Anyone know what time this is happening

MikeR

We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

OHfulhamfan

Quote from: Holders on July 19, 2013, 06:55:02 AM
Quote from: dino1828 on July 19, 2013, 06:13:16 AM
Quote from: OHfulhamfan on July 19, 2013, 03:24:34 AM
I think the audience for this is the folks in Jacksonville. Bear in mind Fulham supporters know a lot more about the NFL then NFL fans know about Fulham. I would guess most Jaguar fans have never heard of the club.

Oh hello Jags fan here and the fans here have embraced Fulham and Shad is cross promoting the teams I think they will announce a game to be played here in Jacksonville.

I suspect rather more had heard of Fulham FC in the US than Jacksonville NFL team in the UK! That's not to be disrespectful or stir an argument but we know there are plenty of people who follow football in the US and have at least heard of Fulham because of Mc Bride, Dempsey, Bocanagra, Johnson etc.  We're mainly having these discussions on this board because of the number of Americans already here for that reason, not just because of some new interest following Mr Khan's new involvement.Those following NFL in the UK - very few, although some are quite vocal!

Any change of ownership inevitably brings uncertainty and concern as to whether the new owner will respect and care for the club as we'd all wish. It is interesting and reassuring to hear therefore that Jacksonville fans like him and leap to support him when we have expressed our concerns. To keep the club in its home town when there was a move to relocate somewhere else sounds familiar and it's reassuring that he did that. Holding a few games in London is largely irrelevant because for all the reasons that have been aired recently it will just be a curiosity and simply will not catch on.

Some of my fellow English Fulham fans appear to be a little paranoid about Mac, Jol and Hangeland being dragged off to Jacksonville at this time and feel that "the mountain should have gone to Mohammed". Well I don't see the problem. Mac will have to liaise closely with him and they need to get to know and understand each other well, likewise Jol and it's good and unusual to see the team captain involved in this way as well. They can't see how he works and operates in London or Costa Rica. It's a perfect opportunity. It's important to make the most of the mutual learning opportunities and synergies. Not that we want ruddy great video boards at each end flashing adverts (or would ever get planning permission, thank goodness!) but more prosaic, relevant matters. Neither would it hurt to play a game in Jacksonville as a promotional exercise. Presumably there would be a suitable team in the area.

Take my word for it, very few Americans know Fulham. Dempsy, McBride and company not withstanding. In fact most people in the states don't know who McBride and Dempsy are either. I live in Ohio, which is a long way from Florida, but when I wear my Fulham gear around, everybody thinks the FFC crest is some new fashion label.
Football (The English kind) is gaining popularity, but is still way down on the list in the USA. With many NFL fans, there is downright hostility to the sport. I still often hear, "soccer is for fags" a lot.

btings

I agree, nobody in the US knows Fulham unless they actually follow the PL.  Even the ones who know Dempsey would have been hard-pressed to tell you what team he played for two years ago.

OHfulhamfan

Yup, and even among people who follow the PL, it's all about Mann Utd., Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal.

dino1828

^ Yes no doubt the older crowd really do not care it is the younger crowd that cares about English football and want to see it, they have to grow it here and bring the Premier league to the US is just watering it, it will grow if you give the youth something to latch onto. Not many people know who was Fulham was when the news broke about Shad buying them, but we are avid supporters of Sahd and many said they will take on this team because of Shad.

Sammyffc

or , we could all be fooled . it could be the final unveiling of the one and only ........ fulham onesie !

http://shop.fulhamfc.com/retproddetail.aspx?d=16&id=2076

:Haynes The Maestro: fp.gif 092.gif

First State

I'd love it to be the unveiling of the away shirt, but I doubt that's the case. I suspect it's related to a transatlantic match, sponsorship, or staff appointment. We'll soon find out.  

OHfulhamfan

Quote from: dino1828 on July 19, 2013, 05:38:21 PM
^ Yes no doubt the older crowd really do not care it is the younger crowd that cares about English football and want to see it, they have to grow it here and bring the Premier league to the US is just watering it, it will grow if you give the youth something to latch onto. Not many people know who was Fulham was when the news broke about Shad buying them, but we are avid supporters of Sahd and many said they will take on this team because of Shad.
Quote from: dino1828 on July 19, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

I am kind of torn about how I feel about the fact that there will likely be a bunch of new Fulham supporters around. One of the reasons I became a supporter is that the club isn't a big, international brand. I liked that it was a small neighborhood club. It's like when a band I like that is is on a small record label and plays small, intimate venues signs to a major label and plays huge venues.  ON the upside, I have never talked to a Fulham supporter in person. The closest I have come is I once went up and talked to a guy who had a QPHA scarf on.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: btings on July 19, 2013, 05:35:32 PM
I agree, nobody in the US knows Fulham unless they actually follow the PL.  Even the ones who know Dempsey would have been hard-pressed to tell you what team he played for two years ago.
Your claim of a general lack of knowledge about the EPL, Fulham, and Dempsey and other 'name' players for the U.S.M.N.T. is a bit misleading.  While it is true that most Americans know nothing about the EPL, it is also true that families with children and young adults playing the game know a lot about the EPL, and because they follow American players abroad, they know plenty about Fulham, and Everton, and AV, and so on.  And adults who have played the game or who have stumbled upon it are plenty aware of same.  Also, while many in the U.S. might profess to know little of the game, and act indifferent about it, you don't hear that kind of talk when the U.S Men's and Women's national teams are playing in international tournaments.  I've been quite impressed at the knowledge some of the 'I hate soccer' crowd shows during such tourneys.  A LOT of women have played the game.  Millions of kids have and are playing.  There's something else a bit misleading about any statistics, however vaguely referred, of the American public's general lack of knowledge of the game, the EPL, Fulham, certain U.S. players in the league, etc.  The majority of U.S. youngsters in Grade 8 can't find Canada on a world map.  They routinely get the official founding of America by Columbus off by at least a century.  I could go on, but it's just depressing.  They do, however, know how to reach Level 6 on their favourite computer game.  They know the words to unbelievably stupid rap songs.  

OHfulhamfan

It would be interesting to see what Clint Dempsy's name recognition is in the states. It may well be higher then I think.

I recently was at a friend's house and his wife was playing a game on her smart phone. The object of the game was to identify cartoons meant to represent people, places, and things. One was obviously a cartoon of Lionel Messi kicking a football. It was for me to get it, but nobody believed me and I was repeatedly told that Mark Messier is a hockey player not a soccer player.  I had to argue for about five minutes that there is a also a soccer player with a same sounding last name. Finally she entered the name and I was vindicated. The smart phone had to confirm my argument that Messi exists.

dino1828

Here is a link to the study conducted to gauge soccer's popularity in America. Oh my son knows were Canada is on a map oh he can point out England to he is 5.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/262?cc=5901

Ordar

Is the news conference being broadcast anywhere?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Manager and Owner
/photo/1

Brede, Alaster and The Main Man
/photo/1

alfie

Quote from: Edwatch_Winston_Malone on July 19, 2013, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: alfie on July 19, 2013, 08:17:09 AM
I am quite amazed at some of the comments on here, i reckon if Khan opened a window to let some air in someone on here would see something sinister in his actions.

With all that air conditioning,  why would he open a window? What are you not telling us?

064.gif
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rusty shackleford

I like a man with a good firm handshake

Danitar