watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey Signs for Seattle Sounders

Started by StuFFC, August 03, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulham1611

Like many other young supporters on here, Clint Dempsey was somewhat of a Fulham hero for me during his stay at the club.

His contribution in the 2011/2012 campaign was nothing short of sensational, and he was truly at the peak of his career. I had no problem with Clint wanting to leave, none at all, after all he was destined for bigger things. However the manner in which he left stills angers me to this day. I know that the majority of footballers are only driven by money, but I honestly thought that Clint was better than that. He showed absolutely no class whatsoever in leaving the club that had 'made him', which was even further highlighted through Dembele's departure where he left in the right way.

To be fair, Dempsey wasn't bad in his season at Spurs, but he was never going to be first choice for long. I wish him the best in his venture at the Sounders, but can't help but think that he regrets leaving the Cottage in the first place.

Big Martin Jol

In my opinion he could have stayed in the Premier League (or indeed at Fulham) until he was 33 or 34 - for a player like Dempsey to be heading back to the MLS at age 30 is (with all due respect) a tremendous waste of his autumn years.

Still, he gave his Champions' League dream a shot and it didn't work out. We can't slate him too much for that. No doubt he will be paid an absolute fortune and will do well both domestically in America and on the international front, so good luck to him I guess.

Still vaguely shocking to see the absolute highlight of our 2011/12 season - and at one point the hottest property in the Premier League - shipped off to a fairly mediocre Western Conference side less than twelve months on.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

RidgeRider

Its seems a strange move as has been said.

I'm guessing his time at Tottenham was not to his liking and he realized he wasn't going to Chelsea, Man City, United, or Arsenal so why not go home and make some dough and be a star in the MLS. Not a bad move if you realize you reached your limit in the Prem and you want to play every match. Too bad the bridge was burned with us.

C'est la vie.

Jimpav

The thing that pisses me off the most is that this is another good Fulham career wasted by spoilt Spurs. They snatch at everything going and then drop it when they get bored - similar to Steed who left us at his peak for a pittance, made a few ripples at Spurs and then ended up at Sunderland. Davies was not dissimilar although he was unlucky with injuries.

It makes me sick to think that if they had not come in for him (Dempsey) he could have potentially sulked it out for a few matches in the reserves before fighting his way back into the first team and seeing out the rest of his career with us.

On the other hand we did get Berbatov though and I think Spurs would have sold their proverbial mother to have snatched at that opportunity.

Logicalman

I can see what you're saying there JimPav, it does anger me also, though I firmly believe that the player is the ultimate buck stop (notwithstanding some are a little too influenced by their agents - though Demps was a little too long in the tooth for that explanation), and so his leaving was his own choice (unless he has something drawing him to the NW - his wife hails from NC though)

He made a bad decision, but he also must have known if he swallowed his pride and approached MJ, the chances are he would be back at the Cottage in a flash.

Therefore, it was his own choice to return stateside, and however much money they pay him, I still don't believe it will satisfy his hunger for the game, because, and without pushing any points, buttons or noses out of joint, the quality of play in the MLS is somewhat quite south of that he has become used to in the last 6 years.

Knowing where he comes from though, it still beggers belief that he would make that choice.

Snibbo

Agree with your statement Jimpav "another good Fulham career wasted by spoilt Spurs. They snatch at everything going and then drop it when they get bored".

But Clint has to take a large share of the blame too. He was bored with us, bored with not playing at "a higher level", wanted to go to Liverpool. Spurs actually gave him a face-saving move when his Liverpool dream fell through.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 03, 2013, 08:43:51 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on August 03, 2013, 08:18:00 PM
S001.gif :doh:
Well, this is indeed a coup for MLS. Not because of Dempsey but because of all those who will now follow MLS in order to  find negative things about the man so as to start threads about  him on FOF.

Just like all those who went to Spurs message boards?

Look at this thread. There are hardly any negative posts and many who say that they would take him back.
:kettle pot:
What creates long Dempsey threads are inaccurate statements, dubious claims and wumming such aI canyour post having an unfair and unpleasant dig at FoF posters.
[/quote

I can always count on you.  Are you the pot or the kettle?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

NogoodBoyo

From an earlier thread on the much-loved Dempsey's divine right to Championship footie and the ludicrous idea of him being sounded by Seattle.

"
Quote from: HatterDon on August 01, 2013, 11:29:34 PM
What a load of rubbish. You guys take my breath away with your gullibility.

Dempsey was Spurs second most effective attacker last season -- behind only Bale is goals per minute played and assists per minute played. So far this off-season, according to what I've seen on this site, Tottenham is shipping out Bale, Adebayor, and Defoe, and now Dempsey. Who will they start up front? Jimmy Greaves?

You 13 year olds might want to ask your grandfather who Greaves is.
"

As much as my heart greaves for the demps dumpster trawlers, I did get a good laugh out of this.  Now, I wonder how does a senior senor know-it-all apologise to an ignorant bunch of pimply callow youths who have peed on his back and told him it's raining?  Or does he close his eyes madman shut, put one hand over his ears whilst his other cups his prostate all the time muttering "not happening, not happening, bastrards, bastrards, I hate them all!"

Nogood "coming out of retirement for this one, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 04, 2013, 04:05:28 AM
From an earlier thread on the much-loved Dempsey's divine right to Championship footie and the ludicrous idea of him being sounded by Seattle.

"

Dempsey was Spurs second most effective attacker last season -- behind only Bale is goals per minute played and assists per minute played. So far this off-season, according to what I've seen on this site, Tottenham is shipping out Bale, Adebayor, and Defoe, and now Dempsey. Who will they start up front? Jimmy Greaves?

"

As much as my heart greaves for the demps dumpster trawlers, I did get a good laugh out of this.  Now, I wonder how does a senior senor know-it-all apologise to an ignorant bunch of pimply callow youths who have peed on his back and told him it's raining?  Or does he close his eyes madman shut, put one hand over his ears whilst his other cups his prostate all the time muttering "not happening, not happening, bastrards, bastrards, I hate them all!"

Nogood "coming out of retirement for this one, isit" Boyo

Boyo, don't ever retire. But to the point, how about this:

I was wrong I'm still stunned about it, but Demps really did get his long awaited long-term contract back in this hemisphere.
I don't hate anybody, although I am wondering if Greavesey will be called upon to rescue Spuds.

So, pimply-faced gullible rude teenyboppers, I was wrong -- for the 859th time in the month of August 2013. How do I know the number? Simple; I'm married.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

HD,

ha ha, classic.

Now you ARE showing your age mentioning young Jimmy on these hallowed pages. I was still a whipper-snapper in his glory days with the spuds, and I do recall him more for his post-playing career, where I would expect the vast majority (who actually know who he is) would be the same - or am I just a spring chicken in the presence of old cocks on here?

Forever Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on August 04, 2013, 04:51:17 AM

"

"

HD's larger point was apparently lost on all of you.  So let me repeat it for him, and for the rest of you.  He wrote, Dempsey was Spurs' second most effective attacker last season, behind only Bale in goals per minute played and assists per minute played.  That's a staggering statistic which in your blind hate you fail to give its fair weight, choosing instead to deride HD for suggesting there is nothing to the then-rumour of Demps going to a U.S. team.   And who could blame HD for thinking as much?  After all, he wasn't shipped out as a bargain bin cast off.  He took the biggest pay day in MSL history.  Period.  The biggest pay day ever.  I'll say it again for the dyslexic among you: More money as a player than Beckham got.  How much?  $32 Million reported over 4 years, with Spurs getting 95% of what they paid for him back in transfer fees.  And not just any MLS team or just any manager.  But, rather, the Seattle Sounders and Schmidt (sp?).  Take a trip to Seattle and catch a Sounders game.  Stay a few days and visit the northwest coastal area.  It is beautiful.  The climate mild.  The people incredibly friendly and interesting.  There isn't any place like it in America.  Seattle is--different.   And in a good way.  The fans are out of their minds rabid.  They LOVE their team.  It's a riotous explosion of fandom.  And they are creative in their fan ways.  Something of a wonder to behold.  Speak up, American FFC fans!  Explain what I'm trying to communicate here!  He took the money.  It was silly huge money.  Gagoogobs of money.  Money to set him, his children, and their children up for life forever.  What would you have done?   

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Dempsey  got to trend on Twatter for the last 48 hours ................... how very cool is that ??
My brother lives near Ballard and hopefully I will get to see our EX-PLAYER live (alive) sometime soon.

The very best of luck Clint, the boy from Nacogdoches did good ... the fishin real good toooooooo...........innit !!!

I'd rather your a Sounder than a Spurt, yes I would , I surely would    064.gif

leonffc

Quote from: WolverineFFC on August 03, 2013, 06:01:12 PM

Gonna be really difficult for all the "yank haters" who support the club going forward, considering one of us owns the club now...

Everyone has ignored your idiotic, paranoid statement but I'm not.
People on this board are generally decent people and certainly don't 'hate yanks'. What they do hate is stupid statements from yanks, such as yours, so providing our new owner Mr Kahn doesn't come out with such bollox he'll be we'll received.
Those of us that have no time for Dempsey dislike (not hate) him for a reason. That being his attitude at trying to get out of the club that stood by his falling over and lack of end product / silly tricks to eventually make him a decent player. We DO NOT dislike him because he is a 'yank'. Find me one FOF member that dislikes Brian McBride!!
I understand Americans supporting fellow countrymen playing overseas as we English would also do the same but Dempseys actions were pathetic so there comes a time when 'national support' should be over shadowed by morals.

On Dempsey, it seems a strange move to me. Maybe, as stated he wanted to move his family back home?
Personally I never thought he was a 'champions league' player and whilst he saved us many times through his Fulham career I think he only had one true great season with us. For his service to us I personally could understand his wish to have a crack at CL football and wished him well with it. But then he joined Spurs with his bottom lip dragging on the floor so good riddance.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: YankeeJim on August 04, 2013, 01:35:22 AM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 03, 2013, 08:43:51 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on August 03, 2013, 08:18:00 PM
S001.gif :doh:
Well, this is indeed a coup for MLS. Not because of Dempsey but because of all those who will now follow MLS in order to  find negative things about the man so as to start threads about  him on FOF.

Just like all those who went to Spurs message boards?

Look at this thread. There are hardly any negative posts and many who say that they would take him back.
:kettle pot:
What creates long Dempsey threads are inaccurate statements, dubious claims and wumming such aI canyour post having an unfair and unpleasant dig at FoF posters.
[/quote

I can always count on you.  Are you the pot or the kettle?

As usual, typically of Dempsey fan-boys, you don't address the points made but just respond with abuse.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 04, 2013, 06:56:03 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 04, 2013, 04:51:17 AM

"

"

HD's larger point was apparently lost on all of you.  So let me repeat it for him, and for the rest of you.  He wrote, Dempsey was Spurs' second most effective attacker last season, behind only Bale in goals per minute played and assists per minute played.  That's a staggering statistic which in your blind hate you fail to give its fair weight, choosing instead to deride HD for suggesting there is nothing to the then-rumour of Demps going to a U.S. team.   And who could blame HD for thinking as much?  After all, he wasn't shipped out as a bargain bin cast off.  He took the biggest pay day in MSL history.  Period.  The biggest pay day ever.  I'll say it again for the dyslexic among you: More money as a player than Beckham got.  How much?  $32 Million reported over 4 years, with Spurs getting 95% of what they paid for him back in transfer fees.  And not just any MLS team or just any manager.  But, rather, the Seattle Sounders and Schmidt (sp?).  Take a trip to Seattle and catch a Sounders game.  Stay a few days and visit the northwest coastal area.  It is beautiful.  The climate mild.  The people incredibly friendly and interesting.  There isn't any place like it in America.  Seattle is--different.   And in a good way.  The fans are out of their minds rabid.  They LOVE their team.  It's a riotous explosion of fandom.  And they are creative in their fan ways.  Something of a wonder to behold.  Speak up, American FFC fans!  Explain what I'm trying to communicate here!  He took the money.  It was silly huge money.  Gagoogobs of money.  Money to set him, his children, and their children up for life forever.  What would you have done?  

"Blind hate"? It seems rather that the anger and aggression comes from you.

"Spurs' second most effective attacker"? A quite interesting but hardly a staggering statistic. The key statistic is that Spurs have let Dempsey go.

"More money as a player than Beckham got"? I would have thought that you would want to make points about his football.

It is perfectly reasonable that Dempsey chooses to move to a beautiful part of America, to a club with enthusiastic fans that will welcome one of their country's top international players for a lucrative contract.

But why should any of this be of particular interest to FFC fans beyond mild amusement at yet more angst and hype from the Dempsey fan boys?

Lighthouse

I think Dempsey remains of interest to us as he was the longest serving player we had when he left. He has been a major part of our recent history. His perceived failure to find a better place to play is a shame both for Fulham and for him. Like Jol he commands views of extreme prejudice. So we will continue to debate and to follow with interest his remaining years in the game with a pang of regret for us all.

It remains a mystery why a player who had it all then decided to gamble on leaving Fulham for one season of mild success but not appreciation. What his plans are now seem to be comfort led. That is fine but a shame.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RaySmith

Just stated on Talk Sport that 'Fulham thought they were getting Dempsey back for 3 1/2 million, but then the Seattle Sounders deal came in'............................!!!?

Jack Fulham

Will be a while until we see a midfielder score 23 goals in a season for us again. Dempsey was a great player for us, wasn't the most talented footballer but played with a lot of heart and desire. Watching him evolve as player was great to watch. Don't blaming for him taking ridiculous money to return to his home country. Although the MLS isn't the best league, its better than going to the Middle East or China like we've seen some players do. Wish him all the best.

Alternative

Quote from: andersons11 on August 03, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: EJL on August 03, 2013, 05:37:52 PM
Not confirmed yet

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130802/clint-dempsey-seattle-move/

I dont buy this articles view at all, but maybe that is due to the fact that aside from being American, I support Fulham

Thanks for posting this. I was unaware of how good the money was and also how big the Seattle crowds are.

It makes a case for Dempsey being unwilling to slip down the pecking order at Spurs and unable to land a place with a Champions League club and a regular first team spot. Plus he has childrens education to consider, so that may play a part.

Good luck to him. I enjoyed watching him over the years. He was a great asset to Fulham and I do not begrudge him moving on even if his departure ruffled feathers. Blame Liverpool for unsettling him. Where are they when he wants to leave Spurs?