more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol: Merged

Started by mungos beans, August 27, 2013, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

Quote from: SP on August 27, 2013, 10:47:32 PM
I heard a whisper Martin Jol is also behind the HS2 rail link & the badger cull. Genghis has a decision to make here.

If indeed he were in charge of HS2 it would be criss crossing the country before ending up back in London totally avoiding Birmingham and the top half.

Jack Fulham

66.6% win percentage in competitive games this season. Not bad aye!

Ruiz11

Clearly Khan knows very little about football and certainly would not have seen the game tonight anyway, so I doubt he'll have a plethora of tactical and managerial solutions at this early stage of his ownership.

Arthur

Quote from: Chutney on August 27, 2013, 09:42:44 PM
http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/08/22/under-martin-jol-it-was-give-the-ball-to-luis-suarez-and-hope-christian-eriksen-feels-ajax-style-of-play-better-under-frank-de-boer/96493/

Says it all

You imply that the criticism levelled at Jol by Eriksen is every bit as relevant now.

However, the crux of the player's gripe is thus: "The midfield was often skipped, there were primarily long balls up to Suarez..."

Of the criticism that Jol receives on this forum, I think it's accurate to say that over-dependence on the long ball is not among it.

Jack Fulham

Jol wasn't popular at Ajax in general as he moved away from the traditional 4-3-3. I think its pretty clear that his time England as a player had a lot of influence on him. His football is far more English than Dutch as prefers a direct style.

Berbasilk_111

Sooner he gets rid of Jol the better, with the players at his disposal Fulham should have had this game wrapped up by half time.

Lighthouse

If this is the modern game than I really don't want to watch it anymore. We played with one striker and were kept form doing any damage with long shots. Then when Division Two Burton attacked us in anything like numbers we were in a blind panic. When Rodders came on LATE. he changed the game with the simple fact we had an extra body up front.

Poor old Burton tried to defend for 70 minutes little realising we were hardly ever going to have more than one or two players in their area.

I am bored by this sort of football where we don't try and put players in the area.

I am bored by Jol

I am just simply bored by the way Fulham play. To think against Arsenal I really thought Jol was trying to make us a side that can attack quickly. Silly me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Alfayedslovechild

Quote from: Andy S on August 27, 2013, 11:24:14 PM
And at Spurs they loved him and were sorry to see him go......

I'm not sure what Spurs fans you have been talking to? The die hard, season ticket holders that I know, used to hate him. They was never sure what football they were going to get from one weekend to the next. They used to say it was like throwing 11 men out on the pitch and hoping for the best.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Ordar on August 27, 2013, 10:59:24 PM
What would also help is if the wide players (whoever is playing in that position, and I include the fullbacks) actually beat a man and put a decent cross into the box. Every single time the ball goes either backwards, cut inside or hits the first man. Its amazingly poor, and Dejagah, Kacaniklic and Riise are the main culprits.

If they cant do the main job of a wide player, then we might as well not bother playing wingers altogether. Nearly all our "attacks" are through centre trying to play little one twos through the defence which never work, or shooting wide from 25 yards

I suspect the wide players may have been told to roam and I actually thought Kacaniklic did that very well, I was impressed by him. Few teams play with wingers that stay on their wing. Dejagah was clearly lacking match fitness.
The problem with Kaca drifting is Riise is ineffective as an overlapping full back so effectively the left side poses no threat when that happens, but I'd rather we sign another left back than tie Kaca to the old fashioned out and out winger role.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 27, 2013, 11:54:53 PM
If this is the modern game than I really don't want to watch it anymore. We played with one striker and were kept form doing any damage with long shots. Then when Division Two Burton attacked us in anything like numbers we were in a blind panic. When Rodders came on LATE. he changed the game with the simple fact we had an extra body up front.

Poor old Burton tried to defend for 70 minutes little realising we were hardly ever going to have more than one or two players in their area.

I am bored by this sort of football where we don't try and put players in the area.

I am bored by Jol

I am just simply bored by the way Fulham play. To think against Arsenal I really thought Jol was trying to make us a side that can attack quickly. Silly me.

That's right. I've often defended Jol but tonight I'm very annoyed. We sit far too deep given the players we have, we play as if we lack technical players and have a plethora of defensively solid players. What we are doing by playing Ruiz so deep is nullifying any threat he carries and exposing our midfield to a turnover.

Lighthouse

We were playing Burton for goodness sake. What were doing trying to play them like a Prem side? Only Bent in the area and trying to play through them. Oh the shame. I tried to believe but instead ended up watching the tv and not the game.

Bassey the warrior

I would give him until Christmas and give him some money for goodness sake, we have bucketloads with this new TV deal.

Berbasilk_111

Quote from: The Moose on August 28, 2013, 12:00:30 AM
If this is the modern game than I really don't want to watch it anymore. We played with one striker and were kept form doing any damage with long shots. Then when Division Two Burton attacked us in anything like numbers we were
in a blind panic. When Rodders came on LATE. he changed the game with the simple fact we had an extra body up front.

Poor old Burton tried to defend
for 70 minutes little realising we were hardly ever going to have more than one or two players in their area.

I am bored by Jol

That's right. I've often defended Jol but tonight I'm very annoyed. We sit far too deep given the players we have, we play as if we lack technical players and have a plethora of defensively solid players. What we are doing by playing Ruiz so deep is nullifying any threat he carries and exposing our midfield to a turnover.
So true

nose

I believe if Jol would have been manager of Brazil's 1970 squad they would have struggled to get out of the initial group of 4.

What happened at Burton, the manner of our first two performances, 5 straight home defeats, and generally going backwards leaves me feeling very worried for our survival, again.

I  was critical in his first season and advised he never had a proper pre season
i was critical last year because of so many inept performances but was told we were improving and ruiz will comen good
I have yet to be impressed and Ruiz remains a dangerous addiition to the squad, giving the ball away instead of clearing his lines for their first goal tonight. he insisted on showboating when simple stuff was all that was needed. he can pick an occasional pass BUT if you count the pluses and minuses he is very much a negative and his penalty was a fluke of a sort i have never seen before, he didn't actually hit the target from 12 yards.

I would be quite happy to change the manager and let ruiz go now, before we get to november and wonder why we are in the bottom six.

if i am wrong, and actually the manager is a genius, what has he done so far. i agree he speaks well but it doesn't translate onto the pitch.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: The Bronsons on August 27, 2013, 11:00:37 PM
I doubt Khan will see anything beyond what he's told. Let's hope he has an adviser or two who can put him right. 

I can't imagine he'll struggle to understand how poor a performance it was if he's told that they scraped through on penalties against a team 70 places below them.

Arthur

Quote from: The Moose on August 27, 2013, 10:49:39 PM
Certainly, he's a man with no plan B. I feel that Jol has to sign a creative midfielder or he will likely go sooner rather than later. Our midfield is not creative enough thus the defence will start to skip the midfield and we don't have a target man.

How ironic that you should accuse Jol of having no plan B after a game in which he changed the formation from a lone striker to a front-two and saw the second striker fire our equalising goal.

I agree that, despite signing Parker, we still seem to want for a player who can pick a pass that opens up the opposition's defence. However, I disagree with your inference that our defenders will 'skip the midfield'. Firstly, it didn't happen last season even though we had exactly the same problem. Secondly, as you point out, we have no target man to offer our defenders the incentive to hit the ball long each time.

RidgeRider

I am bored by Jol

Are you bored enough to wish Hodgson was still here?  :005:

Lighthouse

Quote from: Arthur on August 28, 2013, 01:00:05 AM
Certainly, he's a man with no plan B. I feel that Jol has to sign a creative midfielder or he will likely go sooner rather than later. Our midfield is not creative enough thus the defence will start to skip the midfield and we don't have a target man.

How ironic that you should accuse Jol of having no plan B after a game in which he changed the formation from a lone striker to a front-two and saw the second striker fire our equalising goal.

I agree that, despite signing Parker, we still seem to want for a player who can pick a pass that opens up the opposition's defence. However, I disagree with your inference that our defenders will 'skip the midfield'. Firstly, it didn't happen last season even though we had exactly the same problem. Secondly, as you point out, we have no target man to offer our defenders the incentive to hit the ball long each time.

Really? His plan B was to wait until the last 7 minutes to change the way we played. Didn't think it would be a good idea in say the first 70 minutes of the game before they decided to actually have a go at us? I think a manager has to play the best tactics for the team he has against the opposition they play. Jol finds that very hard to do.

Alfayedslovechild

Jol should have had that game wrapped up well before 70 minutes. We were well in control for long periods and If we had got the 2nd goal, it would have been game over.

The longer it went on, the more confident Burton became. We huffed and puffed yet again playing the ball up to their penalty area and back again. After 70 minutes, Burton sussed us out and went for broke, knowing that they could push forward without us causing a threat the other end.

Our wingers failed to find a cutting edge AGAIN chosing to cut in and play balls through the middle where Burtons defence stood firm.

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2013, 01:09:23 AM
Quote from: Arthur on August 28, 2013, 01:00:05 AM
Certainly, he's a man with no plan B.

Really? His plan B was to wait until the last 7 minutes to change the way we played. Didn't think it would be a good idea in say the first 70 minutes of the game before they decided to actually have a go at us? I think a manager has to play the best tactics for the team he has against the opposition they play. Jol finds that very hard to do.

The accusation was that Jol has no plan B. In order to refute this, it is not necessary to consider whether he deploys that plan at the most appropriate moment; it is enough simply to show that he does have a plan B.