watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Senderos was excellent

Started by Pluto, September 25, 2013, 12:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

How good was Big Phil again tonight? I know he comes in for a bashing from a lot of fans but he's looked very good so far this season and hasn't had the praise he's deserved. Often gets accused of being an "accident waiting to happen" but has made very few mistakes and looking every bit as good as Hangeland so far. They seem to have fashioned an excellent partnership.

He kept Lukaku very quiet tonight, made several key blocks, no noticeable errors, and was a constant presence in the air at the back. He literally didn't give an inch to any of the Everton front line, stayed tight and looked very solid. I also thought he was brilliant against West Brom, where he made Anichebe and Anelka look impotent, and was not at fault for the goal (that was Brede). He knows he has a point to prove and has stepped up a gear since Hughes was injured. Delighted that he's taking his chance.

The question is a) can he keep it up? and b) if so how do we fit Amorebieta in who looks a fantastic signing, even out of position on the left.

b+w geezer

I agree that he was very good tonight, and in addition to what you've said his fine tackle was the starting place for our first goal. I'd be tempted to start on Saturday with the back four that ended today, if only to show that good performances deserve to retain you your place. In practical terms, there is also the benefit of keeping Brede on the left-hand side where he is better.

epsomraver

Agree he had a good solid game Taraabt was the most disappointing player tonight, his ball control made Rodders look skillfull!

Pluto

Quote from: b+w geezer on September 25, 2013, 12:16:42 AM
I agree that he was very good tonight, and in addition to what you've said his fine tackle was the starting place for our first goal. I'd be tempted to start on Saturday with the back four that ended today, if only to show that good performances deserve to retain you your place. In practical terms, there is also the benefit of keeping Brede on the left-hand side where he is better.

:plus one: I'd love for Jol to foster a culture at the club in which the way to get in the team is to perform well on a consistent basis and at the moment Senderos is doing that. I do think Richardson has played well since he's been back though so would be unlucky to lose his place at LB to Amorebieta.

chiefo

Quote from: b+w geezer on September 25, 2013, 12:16:42 AM

Yep defo for me also. Riise is well finished at LB and with the" Butcher of Fulham " there when he came on showed he can do that alright, and not frightened of moving forward to pick out a pass or two. Not to mention some good strength at the crosses.

Sammyffc

Although senderos was very good tonight, everytime i see his name on the team sheet i automatically begin to shake my head and start to cry

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: epsomraver on September 25, 2013, 12:24:25 AM
Agree he had a good solid game Taraabt was the most disappointing player tonight, his ball control made Rodders look skillfull!

YOU'RE WELCOME!!!
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Forever Fulham

I wasn't able to see the game on video.  Sounds like Senderos, once again, manned up well against the other side's big men.  I like his game.  If he played with different facial expressions (instead of that hang dog/woe is me look on his mug) he'd be perceived differently.  I haven't seen Hangeland or Amorebieta handle the heavyweights well--and they certainly have talent, not taking anything away from them.  

PaulJ123

Amorebieta looks class, him and Hangeland should be our first choice CB's. And Richardson should continue at LB as hes played well there recently.

Zverotic could be an option at LB if needed, dunno how adaptable he is though

Logicalman

Good to hear Big Phil came through again tonight, that's his second good performance this season then. Hopefully he will be able to maintain this level, Parkie gets the armband and Jol can start looking at what would be the best CB partnership to play, and when.

Pluto

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 25, 2013, 12:40:53 AM
I wasn't able to see the game on video.  Sounds like Senderos, once again, manned up well against the other side's big men.  I like his game.  If he played with different facial expressions (instead of that hang dog/woe is me look on his mug) he'd be perceived differently.  I haven't seen Hangeland or Amorebieta handle the heavyweights well--and they certainly have talent, not taking anything away from them. 

That's just his concentrating face I think  :005: In which case I hope we continue to see it!

Pluto

Quote from: Logicalman on September 25, 2013, 12:52:28 AM
Good to hear Big Phil came through again tonight, that's his second good performance this season then. Hopefully he will be able to maintain this level, Parkie gets the armband and Jol can start looking at what would be the best CB partnership to play, and when.

I'd like to see that too- although I love Hangeland as club captain, I think Parker would be better off with the armband on the field (as they do with Monk and Williams at Swansea). No one should have an automatic place in the side, especially now we have some serious competition for the CB places- Senderos has really lifted his game a gear.

SmithyFFC

Phil did okay tonight, but you all seem to very short memories, he was terrible the other week against Albion.
FTID

Logicalman

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on September 25, 2013, 01:37:09 AM
Phil did okay tonight, but you all seem to very short memories, he was terrible the other week against Albion.

.. and your quite right, that's why I mentioned it was his second good performance. I just would like to think that he does have it in him, given the chance and the correct partner, for which I do not think Brede is the one, unfortunately.

Deanothefulhamfan

I think Lukaku was such a handful for our defense tonight, in particular the first half, but Hangeland was on him first half. Did Senderos pick him up in the second half as he seemed a little quieter? He and the guy on the right will cause many teams problems.

I think Senderos played well, and was actually better than hangeland yesterday, although he did improve in the second half like many others.

elgreenio

Very good last night. He had one slip up where he tried to nick the ball from Lukaku which led to him having a decent shot but that's about it. Very encouraging. Him or Amorebieta to partner Hangeland Saturday please

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Riverside

Agreed Senderos was very good last night.

Amore though looks a great player And has to be a starter .
Though I have no issues if he plays LB . Certainly ahead of Riise who was dire - just age or motivation or not 100% ?

Pluto

Quote from: Riverside on September 25, 2013, 08:54:07 AM
Agreed Senderos was very good last night.

Amore though looks a great player And has to be a starter .
Though I have no issues if he plays LB . Certainly ahead of Riise who was dire - just age or motivation or not 100% ?

A combination of all three I think. Unfortunately I just don't think he's cut out for the PL anymore. Bizzare that as one of the PL's highest ever scoring defenders, he's never netted for us....his shot last night was beyond dire.

I don't know what game you guys were watching but I thought Phil looked decent against albion. Up against poweful physical forwards, he is very effective and what he does to take them out of the game is understated. Looked shakier once they brought on the pace of Sinclair and Berahino, but no more so than Hangeland.

Holders

It seems to me that what Jol originally liked about Phil over Hughes is that he likes to play the ball out of defence (as Hangeland) more than Hughes.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

epsomraver

Quote from: Holders on September 25, 2013, 09:54:28 AM
It seems to me that what Jol originally liked about Phil over Hughes is that he likes to play the ball out of defence (as Hangeland) more than Hughes.

not so