watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gloom and Doom

Started by aconnecticutyankee, February 05, 2014, 03:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aconnecticutyankee

Let me begin by saying that I was offered a choice yesterday, to continue supporting Fulham or switch to another club. This came from my daughter no less, who is a fan of R Madrid. Hmmm let's see...

I've "only" supported Fulham for 15+ years since promotion to the 1st division, it really hasn't been that long...

I'm an American with no geographical or familial ties to the club, and no Americans on the roster to root for (save the on loan Dempsey who seems is past it, sadly)

No one will care (or even detect it) if I switch my allegiance to another club

I don't have a season ticket to give up and would probably enjoy watching my new club more of real TV vs the Internet with the feed from Kazakhstan.

I told myself I'd sleep on the decision and today I woke up still a Fulham fan, in the winter of my discontent like everyone else of this board. Life can suck at times.

My two cents.

We have no one at the helm like Roy who will right this ship the remainder of the season. Team morale and leadership ( read Danny Murphy, McBride et al) are gone and the veterans on the club do not possess the leadership skills to unite their team mates in a common purpose like staying up. It's each professional to himself, I'm sure there's a  scramble to line up next years employment with their agents.

Coaching and management right now are whistling through the graveyard, not one of them possess the type of experience, resourcefulness and objectivity that Roy had when he arrived to save us. Relegation this time is inevitable. Magical thinking replaced common sense a while back in the front office and with Jol. This club has always been a little closer to the sows ear than the silk purse and no one in a leadership position recognized that simple fact. MAF may have said we were the Man U of the South but these clowns actually thought they could convert their fantasy league dreams into some sort of reality at Craven Cottage.

The present owner is a jerk. He is proof that success in the auto parts industry is not a guarantee of success in owning a professional sports team. This is the same guy who is touting his teams QB pick prior to the 2014 NFL draft which is something good owners don't do. His GM's got to be cringing. My guess is that Kahn is going to ditch the Jacksonville market (small by NFL standards) and move the team to London which is a market the NFL covets. However Fulham FC plays into this, be assured that it would be a sideshow not he main event.

Question to the Fulham faithful, could Kahn easily sell off Craven Cottage and build a new stadium elsewhere in the London area? Maybe a "multi-use" stadium? I dread this possibility.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: aconnecticutyankee on February 05, 2014, 03:00:40 PM
Let me begin by saying that I was offered a choice yesterday, to continue supporting Fulham or switch to another club. This came from my daughter no less, who is a fan of R Madrid. Hmmm let's see...

I've "only" supported Fulham for 15+ years since promotion to the 1st division, it really hasn't been that long...

I'm an American with no geographical or familial ties to the club, and no Americans on the roster to root for (save the on loan Dempsey who seems is past it, sadly)

No one will care (or even detect it) if I switch my allegiance to another club

I don't have a season ticket to give up and would probably enjoy watching my new club more of real TV vs the Internet with the feed from Kazakhstan.

I told myself I'd sleep on the decision and today I woke up still a Fulham fan, in the winter of my discontent like everyone else of this board. Life can suck at times.

My two cents.

We have no one at the helm like Roy who will right this ship the remainder of the season. Team morale and leadership ( read Danny Murphy, McBride et al) are gone and the veterans on the club do not possess the leadership skills to unite their team mates in a common purpose like staying up. It's each professional to himself, I'm sure there's a  scramble to line up next years employment with their agents.

Coaching and management right now are whistling through the graveyard, not one of them possess the type of experience, resourcefulness and objectivity that Roy had when he arrived to save us. Relegation this time is inevitable. Magical thinking replaced common sense a while back in the front office and with Jol. This club has always been a little closer to the sows ear than the silk purse and no one in a leadership position recognized that simple fact. MAF may have said we were the Man U of the South but these clowns actually thought they could convert their fantasy league dreams into some sort of reality at Craven Cottage.

The present owner is a jerk. He is proof that success in the auto parts industry is not a guarantee of success in owning a professional sports team. This is the same guy who is touting his teams QB pick prior to the 2014 NFL draft which is something good owners don't do. His GM's got to be cringing. My guess is that Kahn is going to ditch the Jacksonville market (small by NFL standards) and move the team to London which is a market the NFL covets. However Fulham FC plays into this, be assured that it would be a sideshow not he main event.

Question to the Fulham faithful, could Kahn easily sell off Craven Cottage and build a new stadium elsewhere in the London area? Maybe a "multi-use" stadium? I dread this possibility.

I'm curious why you've chosen to personally attack Mr. Khan. Do you know him?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Berserker

Yes seems a tad unfair. I think he will re-organise in the summer, inc the management
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Bill2

Once a fan always a fan, through thick or thin. To be able to swap allegiance I believe does say something about individuals.

Denver Fulham

So you consider switching allegiances at the first sign of trouble at the club, and you're calling the owner a jerk? OK then.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 05, 2014, 03:22:52 PM
So you consider switching allegiances at the first sign of trouble at the club, and you're calling the owner a jerk? OK then.

:plus one:

aconnecticutyankee

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 05, 2014, 03:22:52 PM

Does Sanchez count?

aconnecticutyankee

Quote from: Berserker on February 05, 2014, 03:14:38 PM
Yes seems a tad unfair. I think he will re-organise in the summer, inc the management

If change comes and it's for the good I will sing his praises.

Danitar

Actually think mr khan is great for Jacksonville, as I have said before he went out and bought a massive tv for the stadium. I know that sounds stupid but he wouldn't have spent that kind of money to put in a stadium to then close it down. He has also spent a lot of money on new faculties at the stadium and training ground and has bought new state of the art locker rooms which has been ranked as some of the best in the nfl. Jacksonville will only trade there first round pick if they can get a great deal for it but you can argue about the Oakland raiders for doing that they are commonly trading there first round picks away, take last year for example. I think you should do a bit more research. My opionion on me khan is that I think al fayed sold him this big dream about how easy it is about running a football club and when he has got down to it he probably couldn't believe how hard it is. But to be fair to him he has bought one of the best strikers in Europe at the moment and we convinced him to drop champions league for us. So khan must be doing something right. I respect you for keeping the faith it's never easy (especially at the moment) and the fact you live so far away.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: aconnecticutyankee on February 05, 2014, 03:31:52 PM

Still curious why you took such a personal tone with Mr. Khan. I think it's safe to say you don't know him now.

What is it that he's done so far that warrants your attack? Or is it all down to your playing on the paranoia that has been generated by the possibility of the NFL investing in London.

aconnecticutyankee

Quote from: Danitar on February 05, 2014, 03:33:19 PM
Actually think mr khan is great for Jacksonville, as I have said before he went out and bought a massive tv for the stadium. I know that sounds stupid but he wouldn't have spent that kind of money to put in a stadium to then close it down. He has also spent a lot of money on new faculties at the stadium and training ground and has bought new state of the art locker rooms which has been ranked as some of the best in the nfl. Jacksonville will only trade there first round pick if they can get a great deal for it but you can argue about the Oakland raiders for doing that they are commonly trading there first round picks away, take last year for example. I think you should do a bit more research. My opionion on me khan is that I think al fayed sold him this big dream about how easy it is about running a football club and when he has got down to it he probably couldn't believe how hard it is. But to be fair to him he has bought one of the best strikers in Europe at the moment and we convinced him to drop champions league for us. So khan must be doing something right. I respect you for keeping the faith it's never easy (especially at the moment) and the fact you live so far away.

I remodeled my kitchen right before I sold my house.

Oakland is a troubled franchise since the golden years of Al Davis.

I hope that you are right and Mr Kahn will help Fulham succeed in the long run.

aconnecticutyankee

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 05, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

Still curious why you took such a personal tone with Mr. Khan. I think it's safe to say you don't know him now.

What is it that he's done so far that warrants your attack? Or is it all down to your playing on the paranoia that has been generated by the possibility of the NFL investing in London.

Is there paranoia about the NFL investing in London?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: aconnecticutyankee on February 05, 2014, 03:59:59 PM

Within our fanbase there sure seems to have been plenty, if our little forum is indicative of the overall fanbase. You yourself exemplified that in your original post.

Danitar

Quote from: aconnecticutyankee on February 05, 2014, 03:53:15 PM
Quote from: Danitar on February 05, 2014, 03:33:19 PM

I remodeled my kitchen right before I sold my house.

Oakland is a troubled franchise since the golden years of Al Davis.

I hope that you are right and Mr Kahn will help Fulham succeed in the long run.

I think he will become a great owner. He has put $20 million to revamp the stadium so he's not afraid to spend money. Ok I wouldn't want him to rip the cottage down or take any character out of the stadium. But this shows he has intent to spend.

David Allen Crankshaw

A lot easier to swap a spouse than a football team. A football team is for life.

TonyGilroy

I don't know what more Khan can have done. The present mess is worse than any of us anticipated. The new management team is failing and we haven't yet seen the new players.

The big test will come on relegation. Serious research will be needed to get in the right manager and the squad must then be gutted and rebuilt.

The test of Khan will be how that pans out.

Lighthouse

All together now -

Gloom, gloom, gloom and despondency

Down at the old Cottage ground

LA LA LA LA LA

:drums:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on February 05, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
A lot easier to swap a spouse than a football team. A football team is for life.

True. However, it's more expensive to dump a wife.  :58:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

aconnecticutyankee

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 05, 2014, 04:16:02 PM
Quote from: aconnecticutyankee on February 05, 2014, 03:59:59 PM

Within our fanbase there sure seems to have been plenty, if our little forum is indicative of the overall fanbase. You yourself exemplified that in your original post.

I apologize for calling Mr Kahn a "jerk" on this board, as you pointed out I do not know the man. I did not like his comments in the American press recently regarding the Jags taking a QB with their 1st round draft pick. It could be mis-direction on his part as they may have other motives, but I think owners should leave that to their GM's and HC. If you know American football I don't like Jerry Jones for that reason. It tends to hamstring the management in any sport. BTW I could care less if the NFL has a team in London as long as it's not the Giants. Ok, so Mr Kahn gets a pass. We will compare notes in a year or two.

Robbie

Anyone who has been watching this club knows that our problems began about 18 months ago. Curiously (though not necessarily related) when Hangers took over as captain. The real reason is we lost the spine of the team, became too focused on Berbatov's "brilliance" and seemed to lose team spirit.