News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I REALLY don't understand how anyone can say a bad word about Sidwell.

Started by Whiteroom, May 09, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I like him. He lacks the intelligence of someone like Murphy but works very hard and has scored some spectacular goals. He would be a massive boost in the Championship if the club can pull their collective head out of their arses and give him a 2 year contract. It's insulting that they sign players like Karagounis and Diarra but won't offer much younger and fitter players 2 years.

JoeBartramFFC

Maybe because his positioning is awful and his lack of quality is masked by his supposed 'passion'. A box to box midfielder who only goes to the opposition box. I'm sorry but he's simply never been good enough in my opinion.

EJL

I find it pretty grating how quite a few lob around 'armchair fan' whenever someone says anything remotely negative about Sidwell. He's the symptom of a deep-rooted problem in our tragically average midfield, and whilst he'll deserve his Player of the Season award, he really shouldn't have been near our starting XI at the beginning of the campaign.

Scrumpy

Quote from: EJL on May 10, 2014, 12:33:14 AM
I find it pretty grating how quite a few lob around 'armchair fan' whenever someone says anything remotely negative about Sidwell. He's the symptom of a deep-rooted problem in our tragically average midfield, and whilst he'll deserve his Player of the Season award, he really shouldn't have been near our starting XI at the beginning of the campaign.

I agree with your 'armchair' quote. I usually see things in the highlights that I never spotted at the match itself so certainly don't think that absent fans are less qualified. But back to Sidders....

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Scrumpy

Quote from: JoeBartramFFC on May 09, 2014, 11:41:02 PM
Maybe because his positioning is awful and his lack of quality is masked by his supposed 'passion'. A box to box midfielder who only goes to the opposition box. I'm sorry but he's simply never been good enough in my opinion.

Does the fact that you're in a tiny minority make you wonder if you may be wrong?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

fulhamben

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 10, 2014, 12:54:10 AM

Does the fact that you're in a tiny minority make you wonder if you may be wrong?
nope cos the league and performances this year don't lie. Cm is the most important position and all 5 of ours have been found wanting. Sidwell the best of the 5 yes, but we are still talking about a cm that can't pass, can't take on a player and only looks good because the alternatives are so bad. By all means give him player of the season, which isn't hard when the other 37 raised the bar sooo low. I for one am hoping for a brand cm partnership, as I couldn't take another season of watching the sidwell and Parker show. Now don't get me wrong, as a midfield destroyer, and one touch player he is OK, but give him more than one touch and you know your in trouble. Any how I don't think his style is what we need at all next season, and I'm hoping that we get the players to control a game as opposed to breaking one up
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Cravenawin

What rubbish. We had Ruiz (crap) Taarabt (crap) Parker (ok for first ten games, then crap) Karagounis ( like him) and Sidwell. One of the best midfielders out of that lot.

fulhamben

Quote from: Cravenawin on May 10, 2014, 01:30:22 AM

What rubbish
so you wasn't happy when we thought we was going to sign defour then?

fulhamben

Quote from: Cravenawin on May 10, 2014, 01:30:22 AM

What rubbish. We had Ruiz (crap) Taarabt (crap) Parker (ok for first ten games, then crap) Karagounis ( like him) and Sidwell. One of the best midfielders out of that lot.
but there you go, best of a bad bunch. How many games did we have 50% or more possession?

Denver Fulham

We're mad because it's embarrassing that a midfielder who couldn't sniff a match for us two seasons ago was our best player this season thanks to horrible roster management and player regression.

JDH101

I love the special one ninja and the special one ninja loves us. We'd be lucky to have him be our captain next year. End of.

edit - for some reason the word that starts with G and rhymes with minger auto changes itself to special one.

JoeBartramFFC

Not at all, it's my opinion. His careless positioning has been one of the fundamental flaws of our side for the past 18 months ever since Diarra first got injured in 2012. He's a tryer, and a top bloke, but he should be a squad player which is of course what he was designated as by Jol in his first season. To lose Dembele, Murphy, Etuhu, Baird and essentially Diarra to end up with Sidwell was awful squad management and as i said, the only reason Sidwell gets praise is because he gets 'stuck in'. It's a constant problem we have as fans that we rate this over genuine ability and intelligence on the field. If a player is diving in to make a last-ditch tackle, the majority of the time it's because they are out of position in the first place. Never good enough and a real epitome as to why we are now no longer a top flight side.

epsomraver

Quote from: JoeBartramFFC on May 10, 2014, 11:49:06 AM

Not at all, it's my opinion. His careless positioning has been one of the fundamental flaws of our side for the past 18 months ever since Diarra first got injured in 2012. He's a tryer, and a top bloke, but he should be a squad player which is of course what he was designated as by Jol in his first season. To lose Dembele, Murphy, Etuhu, Baird and essentially Diarra to end up with Sidwell was awful squad management and as i said, the only reason Sidwell gets praise is because he gets 'stuck in'. It's a constant problem we have as fans that we rate this over genuine ability and intelligence on the field. If a player is diving in to make a last-ditch tackle, the majority of the time it's because they are out of position in the first place. Never good enough and a real epitome as to why we are now no longer a top flight side.
fp.gif Nothing to do with the 7 goals he has scored being always out of position

God The Mechanic

You can score goals and still have poor positional discipline in a defensive sense.

JoeBartramFFC

Quote from: epsomraver on May 10, 2014, 11:58:12 AM
Quote from: JoeBartramFFC on May 10, 2014, 11:49:06 AM

fp.gif Nothing to do with the 7 goals he has scored being always out of position

We've conceded more than those seven goals due to the space left between the midfield and defence........

Denver Fulham

When Sidwell was 27 or so, he wasn't regularly starting for Aston Villa. At 29, he wasn't regularly starting for us. At 31, he's the team's "best" player this season? That's not because Steve suddenly got better as he moved past his prime age. It's because we're horrible. Seven goals or not, good effort or not, he was a central figure in a side that has conceded 83 goals in 37 league matches because of his lack of defensive positioning, discipline and passing ability. There's only so much you can ignore just because someone cares.

Dodger53

Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on May 09, 2014, 06:43:19 PM
Because he can't pass and has no positional awareness and both Bryan Ruiz and Damien Duff had more assists than him even though they played in 1/3 of the games.
Absoloutly right - Best of a very poor bunch and some seem to have short memories because he was not in many peoples starting eleven until the rest came down to his level. Still a part time player in games he should have been driving from the midfield. Championship squad player maybe but would blow it if we got near the top of the league because he is one of many old boys whos ambition now is Championship football for a year or two.

Dodger53

:plus one:
Quote from: Denver Fulham on May 10, 2014, 03:50:28 PM
When Sidwell was 27 or so, he wasn't regularly starting for Aston Villa. At 29, he wasn't regularly starting for us. At 31, he's the team's "best" player this season? That's not because Steve suddenly got better as he moved past his prime age. It's because we're horrible. Seven goals or not, good effort or not, he was a central figure in a side that has conceded 83 goals in 37 league matches because of his lack of defensive positioning, discipline and passing ability. There's only so much you can ignore just because someone cares.

Barrie

itombomb

That he is probably our player of the season is an indictment of everyone else.

He's given it his all, but his all isn't in any way good enough.