watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maarten Stekelenburg

Started by JackyFulham90, May 30, 2014, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

Am so surprised at how poor he has been this season, I was really excited when we signed him, he looked really good against Sunderland but a combination of our poor defence & his injuries have made him look very average this season.

Surely he is one if our biggest earners & will be moved on this summer, for me he is our biggest disappointment this season as I expected so much more. Clearly when injury free a quality keeper will be a good pick up for a Premiership team.

PeterFFC

I was also disappointed with him. But when you say a good pick for a Premiership team, why? Last season he was at a Premiership club and he was very poor and got dropped. On this evidence I don't feel why a Premier League team would want him.

Craven Mad

I think one of his problems is that he's never had such a poor 4 in front of him. He's never needed to command a back line and organise the defence. So he's wholly lacking that skill, and it's left him vulnerable, isolated, and caught out many times. Felix has said he was dropped because Stockers has a bigger voice.

I still rate Stek, but I think he's been made to look better than he actually is by good defenders.

One big flaw though, which is wholly inescapable, is his proneness to injury. A keeper should be the ever-present player, he can't be relied on.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

But the sign of a good keeper is being able to shout at the defense. Part of a good defense is having confidence in your keeper. Something we didnt have.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

gerrys

Not only Premiership,  was dropped at Roma too.

Macedo

Think the injury at Sunderland knocked him back a bit
confidence wise..
Might see a different keeper with the summer behind him.

kevinhudson

Give Dave Stockdale the No 1 shirt next season. Stek will want out for his international career. Maybe we should resign Schwarzer as No 2 and GK coach?

rusty shackleford

He'll probably end up at Arsenal not Fabianski is gone

FPT

I was excited - he let me down.

To be fair, the defence was never organised this season.

Also, he's pretty injury prone, and never quite settled to English football, whether it be the language or the goalkeeping style.

I'd like to see him go, couple of million and he's probably on £50k a week, we don't need him, could probably buy an old German to sit on the bench and just deputise, much like Hodgson did with Pascal Zuberbuhler.

westcliff white

Stek is a good keeper, his confidence was shattered last season in our team. He made several outstanding saves, even in the first game against Sunderland before getting injured and in many games after that, however his voice commands were not to good and that is a sign of confidence in those in front of you and of your own form. When he was at Roma he had issues with the coach,very similar to that of EVDS when he joined us, bought by one coach, change of coach and the new coach didnt like him.

Stockdale did well when he came in but he has his limitations too, not overly good on crosses, his voice work is not too much better than Steks. Its horses for courses between the two of them.

If your going to get rid of one then it would be Stek base don salary and fee he would command, somewhere around 2/3 million i would guess. Also interestingly I read somewhere we were looking at lindegaard on loan, not sure if that is an old story tho.
Every day is a Fulham day

Still believe

Think his problems at Roma had a lot to do with attitude (he refused to learn Italian, which aggravated players & fans).  Shame as he shows flashes of being a goalkeeper, just not a team player... I think our best bet may be try and get a Netherlands team to sign him up, maybe he'd be happier at home. 

Burt

He certainly hasn't lived up to expectations...

Still, one man's misfotune is another's opportunity, and Stockdale has seized his with both (gloved) hands. He has improved as the season has progressed, which is no mean achievement given he had the world's worst defence in front of him.

HatterDon

I wasn't surprised at all. He had lost his job in Italy and there was very little competition for his signing. I would have been shocked if he'd turned out to be better than Stockdale, and it was pretty obvious from the beginning that he wasn't. For some reason that I've not figured out, players in England who play regularly are not rated as highly on this site as players in Spain, Italy, and Germany who can't command a starting position in those leagues.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RaySmith

I did wonder why he was a bit of a bargain buy - and why we managed to get him in the first place if he was so good.

Don't know it was confidence or not, but he was too inconsistent for the Prem, while Stockdale stepped in and did brilliantly, and seemed to have really developed as a top keeper.

bog

Like wise very disappointed. He played in the World Cup final of 2010!!!! At times was lacking in basic technique. Made Mike Townsend look good. (That name for the older supporters!)

blingo

Don't know why but the Dutch don't seem to be able to cut it with us. Jol, Stek, Ruiz, Collins John. Perhaps we should steer clear of them?

BedsFFC

Quote from: blingo on May 30, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
Don't know why but the Dutch don't seem to be able to cut it with us. Jol, Stek, Ruiz, Collins John. Perhaps we should steer clear of them?

Do you mean Orange isn't the new black then?

Craven Mad

Quote from: blingo on May 30, 2014, 03:52:41 PM

3 Syllables: Van Der Sar

blingo

bog

6 syllables Elliot Macedo.

092.gif