watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alternative England

Started by Nick Bateman, June 16, 2014, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Here is an England team I picked from the available players who were not selected for the actual squad.  Any constructive views are welcome, otherwise ignore.

Goalkeeper - David Stockdale (Fulham)

Defense - Micah Richards (Man.City), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Curtis Davis (Hull), Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

Midfield - Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Scott Parker (Fulham), Steve Sidwell (Stoke), Nathan Dyer (Swansea)

Forwards - Jermaine Defoe (Toronto), Andy Carroll (West Ham).

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

FFC1987

I can't imagine this team doing well in international football.....Did we learn nothing from the Sidwell/Parker in CM last season!!!!

MiltonBurrows

Almost as depressing as the actual 2006 squad!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Nick Bateman

Stockdale is far better than Ruddy who has been called up.  Richards is better than the hapless Glenn Johnson.  Sidwell for me is the best central midfielder in England, Parker was captain recently, Defoe has never let England down and Carroll is better than Lambert.  But you are welcome to your views.

FFC1987

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 16, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
Stockdale is far better than Ruddy who has been called up.  Richards is better than the hapless Glenn Johnson.  Sidwell for me is the best central midfielder in England, Parker was captain recently, Defoe has never let England down and Carroll is better than Lambert.  But you are welcome to your views.

Deary me....You really discredit yourself with statements like 'Sidwell for me is the best central midfielder in England'. Never have I heard such nonsense. Carroll isn't better than Lambert either. He potentially will be if he remains fit but right now he just isn't.

MiltonBurrows

Right back for England is a calamity at the moment. If Richards had played more than 3 games in 2 seasons then he'd probably up be competing for the squad, but the lad seems happy just taken his wages at City. Surprised you chose richards over walker? Sidwell and Parker were the CM partnership for us the large part of last season, and look what happened there, neither are international quality anymore. Have you not included injured players who didnt go? Just wondering why you chose andy carroll over jay rodriguez?

Nick Bateman

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on June 16, 2014, 03:53:19 PM
Right back for England is a calamity at the moment. If Richards had played more than 3 games in 2 seasons then he'd probably up be competing for the squad, but the lad seems happy just taken his wages at City. Surprised you chose richards over walker? Sidwell and Parker were the CM partnership for us the large part of last season, and look what happened there, neither are international quality anymore. Have you not included injured players who didnt go? Just wondering why you chose andy carroll over jay rodriguez?

I didn't include the ones Hodgson couldn't select either like Walker, Townsend, Terry and Rodriguez because of injury/unavailability, otherwise I would have.

FPT

Goalkeepers: David Stockdale, John Ruddy, Jack Butland, Jonathan Bond, Alex McCarthy

Defenders: John Stones, Jon Flanagan, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Micah Richards, Kyle Walker, Steven Caulker, Kieran Gibbs

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Scott Parker, Tom Cleverly, Ashley Young, Andros Townsend, Wilfried Zaha, Theo Walcott, Jay Rodriguez.

Strikers: Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe.

Young, but unrealistic:

Liam Moore, Luke Garbutt, Nat Chalobah, Josh McEachran, James Ward-Prowse, Danny Ings, Nathan Redmond, Ravel Morrison, Andre Wisdom, Will Hughes, Tom Carroll, Jonjo Shelvey, Nick Powell, Patrick Bamford, Cauley Woodrow, Diego Poyet.

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 16, 2014, 03:58:17 PM
Quote from: MiltonBurrows on June 16, 2014, 03:53:19 PM

I didn't include the ones Hodgson couldn't select either like Walker, Townsend, Terry and Rodriguez because of injury/unavailability, otherwise I would have.

Fair enough. Delph had a great season at Villa so he would be in there for me over parker. I'd have picked Huddlestone over sidwell as well, i was surprised he didn't get a mention during the build up seeing as Hull would of probably gone down if it wasn't for him.

epsomraver

Donkey Dawson for England 064.gif 064.gif 064.gif 064.gif Once I saw that I switched reading the rest of the garbage

Nick Bateman

Quote from: FPT on June 16, 2014, 04:03:03 PM
Goalkeepers: David Stockdale, John Ruddy, Jack Butland, Jonathan Bond, Alex McCarthy

Defenders: John Stones, Jon Flanagan, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Micah Richards, Kyle Walker, Steven Caulker, Kieran Gibbs

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Scott Parker, Tom Cleverly, Ashley Young, Andros Townsend, Wilfried Zaha, Theo Walcott, Jay Rodriguez.

Young, but unrealistic:

Liam Moore, Luke Garbutt, Nat Chalobah, Josh McEachran, James Ward-Prowse, Danny Ings, Nathan Redmond, Ravel Morrison, Andre Wisdom, Will Hughes, Tom Carroll, Jonjo Shelvey, Nick Powell, Patrick Bamford, Cauley Woodrow, Diego Poyet.

Some very interesting ones you picked FPT.  I like Jonjo Shelvey, Danny Ings, Hughes and Woodrow is looking good.  And yes MiltonBurrows, Fabian Delph was terrific against Chelsea.  You two have given me reason to reconsider, and you know your football!!

FPT

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 16, 2014, 04:09:58 PM
Quote from: FPT on June 16, 2014, 04:03:03 PM

Young, but unrealistic:

Some very interesting ones you picked FPT.  I like Jonjo Shelvey, Danny Ings, Hughes and Woodrow is looking good.  And yes MiltonBurrows, Fabian Delph was terrific against Chelsea.  You two have given me reason to reconsider, and you know your football!!

I didn't pick anyone! Just a list of English players not at the World Cup - Fabian Delph is a good addition though. Could add Tom Huddlestone, Jake Livermore, Curtis Davies and Mark Noble whilst I'm here.

Out of those, I'd go for:

Stockdale
Stones Richards Caulker Gibbs
Carrick Shelvey
Walcott Zaha Rodriguez
Carroll

Bench: Ruddy, Cole, Walker, Huddlestone, Delph, Townsend, Ings

jmh

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 16, 2014, 03:42:55 PM
I can't imagine this team doing well in international football.....Did we learn nothing from the Sidwell/Parker in CM last season!!!!
Agreed.  This team would get crushed in the World Cup.

SimpleTactics

That is one of the worst teams I think I have seen. Would get destroyed.

Nick Bateman

I was picking from the players available NOT SELECTED by Roy Hodgson.  I still think Sidwell is the best midfielder.

bobby01

Nick gets bored, let's go to FoF, they are so easy to wind up. Job done.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

alfie

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 16, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
Stockdale is far better than Ruddy who has been called up.  Richards is better than the hapless Glenn Johnson.  Sidwell for me is the best central midfielder in England, Parker was captain recently, Defoe has never let England down and Carroll is better than Lambert.  But you are welcome to your views.

Deary me....You really discredit yourself with statements like 'Sidwell for me is the best central midfielder in England'. Never have I heard such nonsense. Carroll isn't better than Lambert either. He potentially will be if he remains fit but right now he just isn't.

Some people think that Carroll is better than Lambert you don't, but it is all about opions and as much as a don't like a lot of what he says he is entitled to his own opinion.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Nick Bateman

Quote from: alfie on June 16, 2014, 06:45:29 PM

Some people think that Carroll is better than Lambert you don't, but it is all about opions and as much as a don't like a lot of what he says he is entitled to his own opinion.
:plus one: Well said, Alfie!

Carroll cost the 'puds £35m, Lambert £4m.  I rest my case.

FFC1987

Quote from: alfie on June 16, 2014, 06:45:29 PM

I thought better of you. No coming back from a comment like that.

Pluto

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 16, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Here is an England team I picked from the available players who were not selected for the actual squad.  Any constructive views are welcome, otherwise ignore.

Goalkeeper - David Stockdale (Fulham)

Defense - Micah Richards (Man.City), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Curtis Davis (Hull), Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

Midfield - Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Scott Parker (Fulham), Steve Sidwell (Stoke), Nathan Dyer (Swansea)

Forwards - Jermaine Defoe (Toronto), Andy Carroll (West Ham).

Crikey a Sidwell/Parker central midfield? After this season?! No thanks.

I'd go:

Ruddy
Walker
Caulker
Davies
Cole
Townsend
Carrick
Barry (great season by the way)
Huddlestone
Zaha
Carroll

I feel that team has plenty of pace and would be pretty direct, so would do ok. Didn't include Walcott and Rodriguez as they wouldve been too injured to play any part in the tournament, even if it started now.

Rest of my 30 man squad:
Stockdale
Green

Flanagan
Stones
Gibbs
Lescott
Richards

Cleverley
Young
Delph
Noble