Started by robert, February 05, 2015, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:47:34 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:35:06 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2015, 04:39:51 PM
I like the Dutch. Northern Europeans in general tend to be very sensible and laid back. I would like to be Dutch. I used to be love my Country but as time goes by I like it less. Still a wonderful and beautiful place at times.

Who are those women in the windows in Amsterdam.

Oh how embarrassing. I thought everybody knew who they were. They are window cleaners. Indoor window cleaners mostly.

How come my window cleaner doesn't look like that.

Are you sure ?

Don't forget the corner 'cafes'
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

"Azoresian" (if that's a native of the Azores)
It could be Portuguese but I think I made my point.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Tony

Quote from: Holders on February 05, 2015, 03:54:17 PM
The difference between English and Germans is that when the English get drunk they fight and smash the place up, the Germans sing and have a good time.

Besides, the English came from what is now Germany in the first place.

I have been reading a book titled The Blood of the Isles, a DNA analysis of the inhabitants of the UK.
I seems that most of us are descendants of the old ancient britons who settled about 8000 years ago. Over 40% of us are descended from Helena born about 20,000 yeara ago (she must have been busy) and most of us are dscended from a guy called Oisin (he must have had a good time). Where they came from I am not sure.
It is a fascinating subject and it makes me tempted to have my DNA analysed to find out who my great, great, great, ............ grand parents are.

ron

I like the Dutch. Northern Europeans in general tend to be very sensible and laid back. I would like to be Dutch. I used to be love my Country but as time goes by I like it less. Still a wonderful and beautiful place at times.

Oh how embarrassing. I thought everybody knew who they were. They are window cleaners. Indoor window cleaners mostly.

The red lights show up the streaks.....

Neil D

Quote from: Tony on February 05, 2015, 08:03:50 PM

It is a fascinating subject and it makes me tempted to have my DNA analysed to find out who my great, great, great, ............ grand parents are.

I've had my mitochondrial DNA tested.  It came up with the 17 closest geographical matches via the maternal line.  I'm of Italian descent but not one of them identified anywhere in Italy.  The closest matches were in France and Scotland.  Don't have a clue what any of it means.  Just hope UKIP don't get to find out and deport me.

Woolly Mammoth

The difference between English and Germans is that when the English get drunk they fight and smash the place up, the Germans sing and have a good time.

I have been reading a book titled The Blood of the Isles, a DNA analysis of the inhabitants of the UK.
I seems that most of us are descendants of the old ancient britons who settled about 8000 years ago. Over 40% of us are descended from Helena born about 20,000 yeara ago (she must have been busy) and most of us are dscended from a guy called Oisin (he must have had a good time). Where they came from I am not sure.

They all came from their mothers, that I can tell you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Berserker

You know I missed that when I was in Amsterdam. I think it is quite a small area, plus it was very cold
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Neil D on February 05, 2015, 09:04:26 PM

I've had my mitochondrial DNA tested.  It came up with the 17 closest geographical matches via the maternal line.  I'm of Italian descent but not one of them identified anywhere in Italy.  The closest matches were in France and Scotland.  Don't have a clue what any of it means.  Just hope UKIP don't get to find out and deport me.

is Farage not of French descent? Please nobody tell him lest he reports himself

Lighthouse

Quote from: ron on February 05, 2015, 08:30:52 PM

If I streaked in Amsterdam it would need more than a red light to show .......oh I see, sorry forget that.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:45:30 PM
Quote from: Holders on February 05, 2015, 04:22:52 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 04:08:52 PM

They were Anglo Saxons, I was there at the time, but not all came from the Father Land, anyway, you could say that about a lot of countries in the civilised world, although that may depend on what you called civilised.
As for getting drunk, it's just as well we do fight etc, it stood us in good stead in two World Wars and one World Cup.

No, they were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Friesians who came from Angeln (where Denmark meets Germany), Saxony, Denmark and Friesland. That is, the coastal strip from Friesland to Jutland including a large part of what is now North Germany. Just read Bede and look at the similarities in the languages for corroboration.

As for fighting, they must have been pretty good at that to have the Romans on the back foot and to capture this land in the first place.

They were Anglo Saxons, I was there at the time, but not all came from the Father Land, anyway, you could say that about a lot of countries in the civilised world, although that may depend on what you called civilised.
As for getting drunk, it's just as well we do fight etc, it stood us in good stead in two World Wars and one World Cup.

No, they were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Friesians who came from Angeln (where Denmark meets Germany), Saxony, Denmark and Friesland. That is, the coastal strip from Friesland to Jutland including a large part of what is now North Germany. Just read Bede and look at the similarities in the languages for corroboration.

As for fighting, they must have been pretty good at that to have the Romans on the back foot and to capture this land in the first place.

Thank you for the history lesson. I will refer your comments back to the English Warrior Queen Boadicea who may have something to say about.
In the meantime, may I have your observations on the Gun Powder Plot in 1705, and the grisly fate of Guido Fawkes.

Another elementary history lesson, then. Boudicca was British, not English. As you may recall, she fought the Romans and the English did not begin to settle until after the Romans had left.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Berserker

Yes I prefer the Boudicca spelling and pronunciation

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Who knows how the ancient Celts spoke but that does seem to be the preferred spelling these days.

I often wonder if they teach basic history in schools these days!

King_Crud

I'm Australian but have been living in Britain for a number of years and will get my citizenship this year. I'm not sure where I belong?

Holders

Quote from: King_Crud on February 06, 2015, 09:00:29 AM
I'm Australian but have been living in Britain for a number of years and will get my citizenship this year. I'm not sure where I belong?

As a Fulham fan, you should be an honorary Englishman!

King_Crud

Quote from: Holders on February 06, 2015, 09:05:38 AM
Quote from: King_Crud on February 06, 2015, 09:00:29 AM

As a Fulham fan, you should be an honorary Englishman!

I'll mention it on my citizenship application, might get a reduced fee

Egham White

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2015, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: ron on February 05, 2015, 08:30:52 PM

If I streaked in Amsterdam it would need more than a red light to show .......oh I see, sorry forget that.
I think they need help because they always seem to be beckoning to you as you pass !
Everybody hurts sometime

Rupert

Quote from: Holders on February 06, 2015, 07:50:00 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:45:30 PM

Thank you for the history lesson. I will refer your comments back to the English Warrior Queen Boadicea who may have something to say about.
In the meantime, may I have your observations on the Gun Powder Plot in 1705, and the grisly fate of Guido Fawkes.

Another elementary history lesson, then. Boudicca was British, not English. As you may recall, she fought the Romans and the English did not begin to settle until after the Romans had left.

While not deliberately trying to make this a "pick on the hairy elephant" thread, it is worth pointing out that Guido Fawkes, the only man ever to enter Parliament with honourable intentions, did so one hundred years earlier, in 1605.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Martinsback

Quote from: Holders on February 06, 2015, 08:12:40 AM
Who knows how the ancient Celts spoke but that does seem to be the preferred spelling these days.

I suspect that they spoke in a similar way to the Welsh and Gaelic speakers as theirs is the original language of the Celts.

Holders

Quote from: Martinsback on February 06, 2015, 12:28:04 PM

I suspect that they spoke in a similar way to the Welsh and Gaelic speakers as theirs is the original language of the Celts.

Indeed, but as English has changed a lot over the past one or two thousand years then so will the various forms of Celtic. After all, Welsh has been taken to Brittany in the meantime and Breton has evolved differences, as has Cornish etc.

Berserker

Quote from: Martinsback on February 06, 2015, 12:28:04 PM

And Bretons

- Martin Luther King Jr.