Started by Friendsoffulham, May 03, 2015, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

Quote from: MJG on June 29, 2015, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 29, 2015, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 29, 2015, 03:30:50 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on June 29, 2015, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: Ordar on June 29, 2015, 03:19:58 PM
Well McDonald is a defensive midfielder to my knowledge and O'Hara is a creative playmaker, so I would assume they wouldnt have any baring on one another.

What it does mean though is we seem to have about a million midfielders on the books currently:

Cairney
Pringle
Parker
Kaca
Tunnicliffe
LVC
Hyndman
Eisfeld
Roberts
Williams

O'Hara

Surely we must be loaning/selling a couple of those

Williams is out long term, Parker is VERY short term, Eisfeld likely doesn't have a future, I hope Tunnicliffe goes, LVC/Hyndman should be competing for a full season between them, Kaca needs to prove himself big time.
Williams is actually ahead of schedule on his fitness, may miss the first few of weeks but working hard.

EDIT: Oh and LVC should not be competing with anyone, he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

It'll still likely take him a good few weeks to get up to match fitness considering the type of injury though.
Of course, but will be back playing in September at this rate.

That's another positive this summer. Not sure I can handle too.much more of this :p

EJL

Doubt O'Hara will have the legs to start for us in a midfield two, even with a full pr season under his belt.

fulhamben

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 29, 2015, 03:40:19 PM
I can only think we'd be allowing O'Hara to train if we're intending to offer him a deal [provided he performs adequately in the training sessions].

As both he and Cairney are left-footed and creative CMs, I imagine the plan is to shift Cairney higher up the pitch to play CAM (a position he prefers), O'Hara and McDonald (or Parker if he doesn't sign) in LCM and RCM respectively, and Pringle and LVC at LAM and RAM respectively.

So we'd look something like:

Betts
RB   RCB   LCB   LB
  McDonald O'Hara
Lasse Cairney Pringle
           Ross

I'd be pretty happy with that as a starting formation. Could then bring on another striker for an attacking midfielder if Plan A ain't working.
id rather play hyndman, and save the money for more important things. the blokes up there with nigel quashie for relegations under his belt.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Craven Mad

I generally agree, but it depends on how close the players behind get to him. If the team plays deep I'd worry about Ross being isolated too far from goal. But, in the formation above, if Cairney acts as a provider while Pringle/LVC push into the channels/box it'd be more like a fluid 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

The nice thing is that we're clearly looking to bring in experienced creative players early, and we have attacking options in spades.

Just need to work out what formation we'll be most effective in and we're set.

Classic94

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 29, 2015, 03:40:19 PM
I can only think we'd be allowing O'Hara to train if we're intending to offer him a deal [provided he performs adequately in the training sessions].

As both he and Cairney are left-footed and creative CMs, I imagine the plan is to shift Cairney higher up the pitch to play CAM (a position he prefers), O'Hara and McDonald (or Parker if he doesn't sign) in LCM and RCM respectively, and Pringle and LVC at LAM and RAM respectively.

So we'd look something like:

Betts
RB   RCB   LCB   LB
 McDonald O'Hara
Lasse Cairney Pringle
          Ross

I'd be pretty happy with that as a starting formation. Could then bring on another striker for an attacking midfielder if Plan A ain't working.

The midfield looks a lot stronger than last year. Clearly, having two deep-lying CM's should make us more resilient, however, I worry that the team lacks pace. We should consider signing some pacey full-backs if we intend on making this formation work.

Alternatively, perhaps Kacaniklic, Roberts, Williams, Plumain, Cole (or a new signing) could add some dynamism out wide? Kaca in particular needs to step it up as some of his performances were frankly pathetic last season. At this stage in his development, he needs to be - and should be, a key player for us.

Craven Mad

Quote from: EJL on June 29, 2015, 03:49:25 PM
Doubt O'Hara will have the legs to start for us in a midfield two, even with a full pre season under his belt.

He's 28 and average 87 minutes in each of his 27 league games last season and Blackpool often used him as a CM in a 4-2-3-1??

I imagine he's training with us so he doesn't lose the fitness he gained in a season for Blackpool where they were chasing shadows most of their matches.

Blackpool were rubbish, but Jamie had a respectable season by all accounts (hence the links to us, Blackburn, QPR and Nottingham Forest, and he's more than good enough to play most games.

He's not my favourite player by any account, but he'd be a good addition to any promotion-chasing squad..

St. Andrews White

Apparently Sidwell having a medical with us - check the facebook group if you want the picture
The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

FFC1987

Quote from: Yonderwhite on June 29, 2015, 04:29:51 PM
Apparently Sidwell having a medical with us - check the facebook group if you want the picture

Can't see anything on the facebook group?

MJG

What a massive backward step that would be.

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on June 29, 2015, 04:54:37 PM
What a massive backward step that would be.

I literally can't see anything apart from some kids met him at Goals who met him and asked why he was there. If anyone can enlighten me that would be great.

TrexFFC

Why would it be a MASSIVE backwards step for us? He scored a lot of goals for us the previous season in the Prem and he adds a ton of experience for us.  He's only 32, he knows the club, he can help the younger guys out and he still probably has some quality left as well.

fulhamben

Quote from: TrexFFC on June 29, 2015, 05:00:18 PM
Why would it be a MASSIVE backwards step for us? He scored a lot of goals for us the previous season in the Prem and he adds a ton of experience for us.  He's only 32, he knows the club, he can help the younger guys out and he still probably has some quality left as well.

FFC1987

Someone sent me through to this group on facebook from twitter, apparently the evidence is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/fulhamfcunofficial/

MJG

Because for every goal it's negated by the fouls he gives away on the edge of our own box, and his passing is not good enough. Also now over a year older than when he left with hardly a game behind him.

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on June 29, 2015, 05:07:12 PM
Because for every goal it's negated by the fouls he gives away on the edge of our own box, and his passing is not good enough. Also now over a year older than when he left with hardly a game behind him.
i still have nightmares of him lining up next to parker

Rhys Lightning 63

Seeing as I live in Stoke (and work for them), I'll pop down to the training ground tomorrow and do some snooping. If I see/hear anything I'll let you know
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Wearethewhites

To be honest though MJG, this is the Championship now, so his level of footballing ability will most likely suit the division. At 32, he's still relatively young, scores goals, has leadership qulaities, and will stick a foot in where we most desperately need it. I'm never one for going back, but this isn't as bad as you make out.  

If true..

Craven Mad

Quote from: Wearethewhites on June 29, 2015, 05:11:47 PM

To be honest though MJG, this is the Championship now, so his level of footballing ability will most likely suit the division. At 32, he's still relatively young, scores goals, has leadership qulaities, and will stick a foot in where we most desperately need it. I'm never one for going back, but this isn't as bad as you make out. 

If true..

Agree with this.

We learnt last year that half of the challenges that'd be reds in the prem aren't even fouls in the Championship.

I'd rather Sid than Scott as our DM next season. But, in truth, there are many players I think we could get who I'd prefer to either of them..

MJG

I said when we got relegated it's either Sidwell or Parker,  not both. And any thought they will both be at the club together in danger of starting in the same team just fills me with dread.

fulhamben

Quote from: Wearethewhites on June 29, 2015, 05:11:47 PM

If true..
32 isnt relatively young for a footballer at all. the decline has started and will only get worse.