watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official 2015 Silly Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 03, 2015, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

I agree with MJG on this. You build a team for promotion, then you need to add Premier League quality to stay up. Hopefully we continue to sign players with that certain 'personality' that suits/matches the football club rather than mercenaries of beforehand. I'm holding out for Tottenham not selling Mousa Dembele this year so we can buy him for sub £10m next summer!

In all seriousness, we'd need to buy a Premier League quality spine at the least. We then start building from within once we're a 'recognised' Premier League team where the academy line becomes a conveyor belt of talent through - profit - another talent through - profit etc and if we can have a kid stay here for 10 years then happy days, if not, the chances are we got some very good money or they weren't good enough. Then we pretty much profit in the transfer market every year so we can do more things like the Riverside Stand expansion.

Anyway, weird tangent. Some could go up and develop into strong Premier League players, others could struggle - that's how it is, some simply can't make that jump into the Premier League. Tom Ince has got loads of time, but in his two opportunities up there, he's failed to impress and he here is, in the Championship again. I could go on talking forever (as I usually do on here) but I can't be bothered.

Jonnoj

Quote from: MJG on July 13, 2015, 11:58:44 AM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 13, 2015, 11:47:31 AM
Quote from: MJG on July 13, 2015, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: alexbishop on July 13, 2015, 10:37:19 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 13, 2015, 12:19:07 AM
Quote from: Bronaldinho on July 12, 2015, 11:45:52 PM
To be honest, £4m for Lees sounds like an incredible amount of money and I for one hope we spend that on a better target..
doesnt sound like we are casting our net further afield in this window. other than a loose link with the player from the dutch league then it all seems to be from the championship. i want to know why we arent looking at the greek leagues. the finacial melt down there must surely have a knock on effect to their football. there must be some great bargins to be had where clubs will be looking for a bit of capitol to get them through these tough times.

Yes, I would have thought given Rigg's contacts we would be a little more creative in the market (there is still time though). Yes, Championship experience is important - but will only get us so far - if we get promoted they need to be able to compete in the Prem. Nothing stopping us from pulling some of the best talent out of League 1 - players approaching their peak who have potential to perform well in the league.
I'll keep banging this pov,  but it's get promoted then you still need to buy 5/6 starters for the prem. The jump in quality is so big now as we have seen.
Players like Pringle and Cairney may well get us up,  but not quite be good enough for PL. What you do then is sell them back to championship clubs who also want promotion. And you then replace them with the quality needed... Who won't join a lower lge team.
The hope in the meantime is that the 3/4 youngsters you have around the matchday squad progress to a point where they are good enough for the PL.
It's a sad state of affairs,  but as we saw in the Tigana year,  get 100 pts and he still spent 30m in August to improve the squad. And that was back in 2001.

Guessing the McDonald and Dunk talks have fallen through mate? Gone very quiet, would love Dunk
Yep,  goal posts moved at last minute on one. Need to either go back with big bids, wait till end of window and go back or move on.

Goalposts moved at last minute on which one? (And thanks for the info btw!)

Arthur

Guessing the McDonald and Dunk talks have fallen through mate? Gone very quiet, would love Dunk
Yep,  goal posts moved at last minute on one. Need to either go back with big bids, wait till end of window and go back or move on.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand how we can have been in talks with either player when the clubs to whom they are contracted have yet to accept a bid from us. Perhaps someone can explain how we were supposedly close to signing McDonald a week-or-so ago.

In my view, I don't think the Club thought that our bids on either player would be accepted. I also think we have decided how high we are prepared to bid, how long we should wait between bids and whom we should pursue in the meantime. Expect us to return with a further bid for Dunk and, indeed, for McDonald if Wolves continue to drag their heels about giving him the contract for which he is asking.

Even our next bid, however, may not be sufficient. Brighton will know what figure they are prepared to sell at, but if they suspect we are prepared to bid higher than that, they will turn down that figure when we offer it. This is why we have yet to improve upon our last bid - so as not to appear to be too keen. To avoid paying substantially more than Brighton are actually willing to accept, we have to appear to have reached our upper limit around the same figure. It's a game of cat and mouse and there's no guarantee that we will succeed, but whomever we buy this window, it seems we are determined that they should represent value for money.

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: Jonnoj on July 13, 2015, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 13, 2015, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: alexbishop on July 13, 2015, 10:37:19 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 13, 2015, 12:19:07 AM
Quote from: Bronaldinho on July 12, 2015, 11:45:52 PM
To be honest, £4m for Lees sounds like an incredible amount of money and I for one hope we spend that on a better target..
doesnt sound like we are casting our net further afield in this window. other than a loose link with the player from the dutch league then it all seems to be from the championship. i want to know why we arent looking at the greek leagues. the finacial melt down there must surely have a knock on effect to their football. there must be some great bargins to be had where clubs will be looking for a bit of capitol to get them through these tough times.

Yes, I would have thought given Rigg's contacts we would be a little more creative in the market (there is still time though). Yes, Championship experience is important - but will only get us so far - if we get promoted they need to be able to compete in the Prem. Nothing stopping us from pulling some of the best talent out of League 1 - players approaching their peak who have potential to perform well in the league.
I'll keep banging this pov,  but it's get promoted then you still need to buy 5/6 starters for the prem. The jump in quality is so big now as we have seen.
Players like Pringle and Cairney may well get us up,  but not quite be good enough for PL. What you do then is sell them back to championship clubs who also want promotion. And you then replace them with the quality needed... Who won't join a lower lge team.
The hope in the meantime is that the 3/4 youngsters you have around the matchday squad progress to a point where they are good enough for the PL.
It's a sad state of affairs,  but as we saw in the Tigana year,  get 100 pts and he still spent 30m in August to improve the squad. And that was back in 2001.

Yep,  goal posts moved at last minute on one. Need to either go back with big bids, wait till end of window and go back or move on.

Goalposts moved at last minute on which one? (And thanks for the info btw!)
Goalposts moved on McDonald and big bid needed for Dunk.

fulhamben

the tinker man is the new leicester boss. could be an inspired move by them
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

@jolslover

STH H3

MJG

Quote from: Arthur on July 13, 2015, 04:43:24 PM
Yep,  goal posts moved at last minute on one. Need to either go back with big bids, wait till end of window and go back or move on.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand how we can have been in talks with either player when the clubs to whom they are contracted have yet to accept a bid from us. Perhaps someone can explain how we were supposedly close to signing McDonald a week-or-so ago.

In my view, I don't think the Club thought that our bids on either player would be accepted. I also think we have decided how high we are prepared to bid, how long we should wait between bids and whom we should pursue in the meantime. Expect us to return with a further bid for Dunk and, indeed, for McDonald if Wolves continue to drag their heels about giving him the contract for which he is asking.

Even our next bid, however, may not be sufficient. Brighton will know what figure they are prepared to sell at, but if they suspect we are prepared to bid higher than that, they will turn down that figure when we offer it. This is why we have yet to improve upon our last bid - so as not to appear to be too keen. To avoid paying substantially more than Brighton are actually willing to accept, we have to appear to have reached our upper limit around the same figure. It's a game of cat and mouse and there's no guarantee that we will succeed, but whomever we buy this window, it seems we are determined that they should represent value for money.
You read an awful lot into two lines.... Never mentioned talks with players. We had a deal for one and then selling club wanted more on it. As I said we either go back now, later or move on.

PaulJ123

I really don't think we need Macdonald (not saying he wouldnt be an improvement). Dunk is exactly what we need though.

spikey norman

Last week in Brighton's local paper The Argus  Chris Hughton was quoted as saying that Dunk will not be sold to a rival Championship team

Wearethewhites

Quote from: spikey norman on July 13, 2015, 06:00:26 PM
Last week in Brighton's local paper The Argus  Chris Hughton was quoted as saying that Dunk will not be sold to a rival Championship team

I remember Chris Coleman saying that Saha will not be sold to United.

FPT

Don't they do catalogues every now and then?

fulhamben

brighton are hardly our rival
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: MJG on July 13, 2015, 05:29:21 PM

You read an awful lot into two lines.... Never mentioned talks with players. We had a deal for one and then selling club wanted more on it. As I said we either go back now, later or move on.

Think Tyrone Mings going for a reported £8m hasn't helped.Brighton must be thinking Dunk not far off and Brentford seem to want silly money for Tarkowski too

Joly poly

A LB is more important as we dont really have one. Kavanagh is not good enough yet and voser is not a left back.

Fulham Tup North

I doubt Chris Houghton will have much of a say in it, if we offer the right money.  Rarely nowadays, that Managers control who comes and goes at a club.  That seems to be done behind the scene's by the men in suits.  If Houghton doesn't like it, then they will simply work with another Manager.
Owners dictate most things these days.
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

westcliff white

Brightions Chief Exec also said they will not sell to a championship rival, but he added a caveat of unless an offer that cant be refused is made
Every day is a Fulham day

ffc73

LB. Bennett from Villa. He was not one of the 22 players used by Sherwood last Saturday. Any more on the rumour that he may be coming to us?

Arthur

You read an awful lot into two lines.... Never mentioned talks with players.

I certainly tried to read only what was in front of my eyes. Maybe the ol' mince pies are letting me down, but I see Hillingdon asking you whether talks have fallen through.

MJG

Quote from: Arthur on July 14, 2015, 02:57:55 AM

You read an awful lot into two lines.... Never mentioned talks with players.

I certainly tried to read only what was in front of my eyes. Maybe the ol' mince pies are letting me down, but I see Hillingdon asking you whether talks have fallen through.
Talks,  did not specify players did I?

Craven Mad

Roberto Martinez has just said he intends to let Luke Garbutt (England U21 LB) head out on loan. He'd prefer a Premier League club, but the primary objective is to get him the most playing time.

We should definitely be looking at him! Could be the solution to our LB problem...