https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official 2015 Silly Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 03, 2015, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: BestOfBrede on August 18, 2015, 07:06:00 PM
Quote from: grandad on August 18, 2015, 05:38:21 PM
Bristol City have signed Andre Gray for £9 mil. How are they able to pay this sort of money while we only can raise petty cash & still not get Dunk and or Gayle in.
Because we are penny pinching and NOT serious about promotion?
That's ALL their money if the City boards are to be believed. Gambling everything on one player is a risk.. As we did last year. And remember they are allowed a loss of 13m

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FulhamStu

If Brentford sell Gray, they will have someone else lined up !

BestOfBrede

Maybe, but we appear (so far) to have spent all ours on the midfield.
We are extremely weak in defence and I can't see us being amongst the top scorers!

We are still very narrow too, even though we added to midfield.

I don't know, but it all seems uncoordinated (no idea/no plan) to me?

I really, really hope I'm wrong and being pessimistic for no reason - but I can't help it.
I see no real improvement and am worried about another terribly stressful season.

Come on Fulham - give me back those days or real excitement and expectation that I've missed for a good few seasons now!

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: BestOfBrede on August 18, 2015, 07:28:16 PM
Maybe, but we appear (so far) to have spent all ours on the midfield.
We are extremely weak in defence and I can't see us being amongst the top scorers!

We are still very narrow too, even though we added to midfield.

I don't know, but it all seems uncoordinated (no idea/no plan) to me?

I really, really hope I'm wrong and being pessimistic for no reason - but I can't help it.
I see no real improvement and am worried about another terribly stressful season.

Come on Fulham - give me back those days or real excitement and expectation that I've missed for a good few seasons now!

I think we have a plan. I'd love kit to come out and say that he wants to play narrow as if not why does it still seem to be the plan. I think we are trying to be dynamic and keep switching. Lvc, cairney, pringle and Ross can all pull out wide and if they alternate it would be very hard to mark them. Add kaka to that list if playing and we could have players popping up all over the place. I know from my limited experience of 5aside that sometimes you have a player under your thumb or you can put a good marker to shadow one player all game. With constant swapping of quality players this would be impossible. Not to mention the engine room of Ohara who in another thread I have mentioned will need special attention.

McBride78

bottom line...stop bleeding goals and we will finish mid table and avoid a relegation fight.  The midfield is good enough for a promotion fight.  The strike force is mid table.  The defense is bottom table.  Our stated goal is promotion, therefore we must address the defense and striker situation or it is all lip service.  I suspect we will address both to some degree, just not sure that we shore them up enough to push to the top of the table.  It is realistic that this will still be a two year build back to promotion.  Good news is the 4 year contracts that we seem to be signing. 

I think we need to sign two CBs (ream + 1) this window and would be nice to get the striker sorted out.  Go back for a LB in the next window (perm. not a loan) if we are mid table or higher.  I would love to get promoted this year, but unless we spend 10-15 million more I don't see it in the cards. That is assuming Kit can get it done.

os5889 mkII

James Collins could become the latest player to leave West Ham this summer, with Norwich interested.

Collins has just a year left on his contract and it is understood the Hammers are ready to listen to offers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfers-james-collins-6275525

If am honest would take quicker than you can say Kostantinos Mitroglou!! With Kit's Wales links wonder if he'd make an enquiry?
@OsmithFFC

twang

Quote from: os5889 mkII on August 18, 2015, 11:02:44 PM
James Collins could become the latest player to leave West Ham this summer, with Norwich interested.

Collins has just a year left on his contract and it is understood the Hammers are ready to listen to offers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfers-james-collins-6275525

If am honest would take quicker than you can say Kostantinos Mitroglou!! With Kit's Wales links wonder if he'd make an enquiry?

Exactly the kind of player we should be looking to sign. I would much rather have Collins than Dunk.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: twang on August 18, 2015, 11:08:20 PM

Exactly the kind of player we should be looking to sign. I would much rather have Collins than Dunk.

You want to sign a 31yo CB over a 23yo budding star CB for a team that a) isn't ready for promotion this season and b) needs to sell players to make budget/buy more players. Mmmkay.

twang

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 18, 2015, 11:11:12 PM

You want to sign a 31yo CB over a 23yo budding star CB for a team that a) isn't ready for promotion this season and b) needs to sell players to make budget/buy more players. Mmmkay.

Yes I would rather have an experienced leader and no-nonsense defender with a few years left in him, than a young-ish Championship defender that some on here make out to be some kind of huge talent and/or saviour. There's nothing wrong with Dunk, but there wouldn't be with Burn either if he played for any other Championship team (as seen during his time with a struggling Birmingham team).

And as for not ready for promotion, what do you even mean by that? We have three years of parachute payments, after that we'll be less and less ready for every year that passes. And let's not kid ourselves that Kit is putting out a lineup full of youngsters each week that just needs a year or two to be ready, because he doesn't.

FPT

"We have three years of parachute payments, after that we'll be less and less ready for every year that passes."

What I would say to that Twang, if I could just pop in for a moment, is with that being the case, wouldn't you want younger players that can give you, a) more years of service, b) grow as part of a more dominant team. If James Collins was to come in, and we didn't get promoted, that's another year he is closer to his quality diminishing and his worth coming to an end. Whereas a Lewis Dunk would be another year better off and we'd be another year closer to being the team we want to be. And if we weren't to go up with Lewis Dunk and the younger players in our squad, we can sell one to stay afloat and help the money flow - we now have multiple assets when in our last season of the Premier League we had very few.

VamosFFC

Does anyone think we have a signing or two that will completely surprise us? It seems almost every transfer window (or at least the summer window) we always sign a player completey off everyone's radar. I'm hoping we do.

Also, I know Kit wants championship experienced players, but maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: twang on August 18, 2015, 11:45:24 PM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 18, 2015, 11:11:12 PM

Yes I would rather have an experienced leader and no-nonsense defender with a few years left in him, than a young-ish Championship defender that some on here make out to be some kind of huge talent and/or saviour. There's nothing wrong with Dunk, but there wouldn't be with Burn either if he played for any other Championship team (as seen during his time with a struggling Birmingham team).

And as for not ready for promotion, what do you even mean by that? We have three years of parachute payments, after that we'll be less and less ready for every year that passes. And let's not kid ourselves that Kit is putting out a lineup full of youngsters each week that just needs a year or two to be ready, because he doesn't.

I mean the current roster is nowhere near promotion-caliber for this season, and even if the club splashes cash on Dunk and someone like Gayle and maybe even a winger, we still have Kit, who's nowhere near promotion-caliber for this season.

Understanding the financial noose will start to tighten beyond that, that's part of why you a) build a financially sustainable model/roster and b) why you pay for players like Dunk who likely have significant re-sale value. The fact that parachute payments will be decreasing and then vanishing as we go forward (if we don't get back up) is *exactly* why you spend the money now to get as many assets with significant re-sale value as possible before we don't have the money anymore.

Swiss72

Apparently we have gone back for Tarkowski. At least according to TalkSport. 5m offer.

So either the Dunk saga is turning sour and we want an option/bargaining chip. Or we are in for both (we can always dream).

twang

The problem with both your arguments (which I agree with in the bigger picture, but not in this case) are that you don't buy a centre half in the Championship for £5m to make a profit. The only way you're going to make a profit of such a deal is if you get promoted and the player proves to be a Premier League quality player. Otherwise you end up with a Matt Mills, which is way more costly than buying an experienced Premier League defender for a way cheaper transfer fee and higher wages but on shorter terms. And that's the thing, both of you just assume that 1 year older = a better player with higher market value, when that's far from the reality for most players.

The way to make a profit is to buy cheap and sell expensive (Roberts, Smalling). Not to buy at top rate in the market you're in (McCormack, Dunk).

And as for Kit, I'm definitely not sold on him either, but that doesn't mean we should just give up and not even have a go.

westcliff white

Maybe Ream's work permit is the issue and hence why we have gone in for Tarkowski if the reports are true. Lets face it we do not know with any certainty if we have bid (or bid again) for Dunk or Tarkowski, its all speculation from media and social media.

Makes for some fun though hehe
Every day is a Fulham day

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: westcliff white on August 19, 2015, 08:43:57 AM
Maybe Ream's work permit is the issue and hence why we have gone in for Tarkowski if the reports are true. Lets face it we do not know with any certainty if we have bid (or bid again) for Dunk or Tarkowski, its all speculation from media and social media.

don't think work permit will be an issue. he is american and he has worked here for a few years already. my theory is we are closing in on a second player, club wants to annouce both transfers at the same time.

os5889 mkII

It's to be expected when you involve any government department, Ream's probably been sat with a ticket in the queue outside Borough tube station for 36 hours.
@OsmithFFC

westcliff white

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on August 19, 2015, 09:11:38 AM

don't think work permit will be an issue. he is american and he has worked here for a few years already. my theory is we are closing in on a second player, club wants to annouce both transfers at the same time.
That was mine util i read that the rules had changed, i would assume all ok, but you never know.

I would also agree we want a second CB and that is why the rumours about Dunk and Tarkowski are still coming around
Every day is a Fulham day

Nero

Quote from: os5889 mkII on August 19, 2015, 09:11:44 AM

It's to be expected when you involve any government department, Ream's probably been sat with a ticket in the queue outside Borough tube station for 36 hours.

That and we have probably put a wrong date on a form and hes joining us in 2016

Holders

Quote from: Nero on August 19, 2015, 09:38:23 AM
Quote from: os5889 mkII on August 19, 2015, 09:11:44 AM

That and we have probably put a wrong date on a form and hes joining us in 2016

Ah, like Jason Koumas then
Non sumus statione ferriviaria