Main Menu

The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

Quote from: PokerMatt on November 11, 2015, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on November 11, 2015, 08:49:37 AM
Oscar Garcia now being tipped too.

I'd be happy with him. He did well at both Watford and Brighton right? Got them both into the play-offs anyway.

What was his ill-health about?
Don't think they got to the playoffs under Garcia, but I could be wrong. Wasn't their last playoffs the losing semi v palace under poyet?
I did see Brighton a bit under Garcia and they seemed very organised and good going forward too. I'd be happy with him, though the heart condition is a worry.
Agree Matt, the heart and blood pressure worries he has are a big concern I would have thought
Every day is a Fulham day

f321ffc

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Wimbledon_White

I think he would have been a decent option for us.

Chutney

Quote from: westcliff white on November 11, 2015, 10:39:40 AM

I'd be happy with him. He did well at both Watford and Brighton right? Got them both into the play-offs anyway.

Don't think they got to the playoffs under Garcia, but I could be wrong. Wasn't their last playoffs the losing semi v palace under poyet?
I did see Brighton a bit under Garcia and they seemed very organised and good going forward too. I'd be happy with him, though the heart condition is a worry.
Agree Matt, the heart and blood pressure worries he has are a big concern I would have thought
And there's the whole thing with him not being good enough.
C O Y W

PokerMatt

I stand corrected, Brighton did get to the playoffs with him. He had a good squad, as we do now. I think we could do a lot worse.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

FPT

Garcia took them to a successive play off spot the next season, finished 6th on 72 points (55GF, 40GA), they lost both legs in the semi to Derby - who went and somehow lost to QPR given the Rams dominated 89 minutes.

Quote Garcia on his style, "My philosophy is to keep the ball, to try to have the ball, to pass the ball as many times as possible and to find the correct moment to score. We are trying to get the ball back as soon as possible, and higher up the pitch. Normally we try to do it in five seconds. It is tough, but it is one of the things we are working a lot on in the training sessions, a lot of the drills we are doing is for this, transition as soon as possible. The best teams in the world, this is one of the things they control."

A former student of La Masia, played under (and coached with) Johan Cruyff, expect to see Barcelona-like possession based football were he to take over.

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: FPT on November 11, 2015, 12:39:13 PM

Garcia took them to a successive play off spot the next season, finished 6th on 72 points (55GF, 40GA), they lost both legs in the semi to Derby - who went and somehow lost to QPR given the Rams dominated 89 minutes.

Quote Garcia on his style, "My philosophy is to keep the ball, to try to have the ball, to pass the ball as many times as possible and to find the correct moment to score. We are trying to get the ball back as soon as possible, and higher up the pitch. Normally we try to do it in five seconds. It is tough, but it is one of the things we are working a lot on in the training sessions, a lot of the drills we are doing is for this, transition as soon as possible. The best teams in the world, this is one of the things they control."

A former student of La Masia, played under (and coached with) Johan Cruyff, expect to see Barcelona-like possession based football were he to take over.

This all sounds good to me. I like the idea of Garcia. Comes across very well and hasn't not been decent wherever he's managed.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Berserker

Oh that's a shame
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

PokerMatt

Yep looked it up to correct myself as I thought I might be wrong.

But yes, the football was good at Brighton then, if it took a while to get going.

The other thing is he was head coach there so is used to such a set up.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

FPT

I did see! I think our squad now is better than that Brighton squad, though they had wingers to bring more out of the 433 (though with the loan window and January, there's time). 

Garcia is one I'd be happy to let build something at the football club for years. He comes across as one that'll give kids the opportunity to play too, gave Jake Forster-Caskey, Solly March, Rohan Ince their first proper full seasons appearance wise. I think that style and coaching would benefit a lot of our youngsters too, as well as the likes of Tom Cairney.

FFChris

If we are looking for a decent coach what about our very own Sean O'Driscoll.  We could do a lot worse!

Chutney

Jocelyn Gourvennec was at heathrow and travelling in to London, very good manager, would be a brilliant appointment if its us he's here to see. Lets hope he isnt seeing QPR.
C O Y W

Roberty

The reports includes that wonderful word UNDERSTANDS

They often use this word when they are reporting things that they or others made up
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Lighthouse

Quote from: Chutney on November 11, 2015, 03:11:06 PM
Jocelyn Gourvennec was at heathrow and travelling in to London, very good manager, would be a brilliant appointment if its us he's here to see. Lets hope he isnt seeing QPR.

But again no experience in our league and the Championship. Interesting to see which way the club goes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Ichabod Magoo

Lambert must have been sitting in the parking lot waiting for Bowyer to leave.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 11, 2015, 04:02:20 PM

But again no experience in our league and the Championship. Interesting to see which way the club goes.

I think I am cutting a lonely figure in staking the position loudly and clearly that the last thing I want is Chump or League experience.  I want originality, new ways of doing things, surprise and ambush, superb man-management, a person who lives, eats and breathes the game of strategy, not more of the boring same old same.
Well, a couple did pick up the flag when I mentioned this yesterday.
Nogood 'Alexander the Great, not Alexander Haig, isit" Boyo

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on November 11, 2015, 05:17:47 PM

I think I am cutting a lonely figure in staking the position loudly and clearly that the last thing I want is Chump or League experience.  I want originality, new ways of doing things, surprise and ambush, superb man-management, a person who lives, eats and breathes the game of strategy, not more of the boring same old same.

I don't disagree.  Also a bad record with a previous team shouldn't necessarily cause somebody to be overlooked.  If someone has managed teams with not much talent but got them to perform over their heads, that should be a selling point in his behalf.  If his teams only won 35% of their games when the talent level would indicate winning half that amount, that would be someone they should be very interested in.  The non-obvious choice may be the best choice.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Slaphead in Qatar

nogood ' if you're using the name Alexander to illustrate originality and new ideas, Alexander Macqueen would have been a better example, isit' Boyo

Woolly Mammoth

I think I am cutting a lonely figure in staking the position loudly and clearly that the last thing I want is Chump or League experience.  I want originality, new ways of doing things, surprise and ambush, superb man-management, a person who lives, eats and breathes the game of strategy, not more of the boring same old same.

I think I am cutting a lonely figure in staking the position loudly and clearly that the last thing I want is Chump or League experience.  I want originality, new ways of doing things, surprise and ambush, superb man-management, a person who lives, eats and breathes the game of strategy, not more of the boring same old same.

I do not think the Geezer your looking for exists, I would imagine not in the real world, anyway.  
It's not Rocket Science despite punters and self styled experts would lead us all to believe, that way no commoners can enter the inner circle or the gravy train, a lot of it has been in the past jobs for the boys.
Maybe just maybe the solution is nearer home than we think, not exactly under our noses, but close.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Carvalhal has done a great job with Sheff Wed and he came in with no champ experience, same with Karanka and Middlesborough. Feel its something too many people get caught up on.
Having said that my dream appointment would be Oscar Garcia, Feel he has the right blend of style, charachter and also champ experience
STH H3