watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889 mkII

Rowett was the only manager on this division that thought we could get and improve so can't fault the club if we do appoint.

That said it was the decision our matchday mob came to after 6/7 pints post match in September on the day, how it took someone at the club almost 3 weeks to think of is quite shocking really.
@OsmithFFC

Wearethewhites

Is it just me, or does anyone else not get excited about the prospect of Gary Rowett? Yes he's OK, but not the sort of managerial / coaching statement I was hoping for. Again, we take a risk on a "Will he won't he" type coach, who is still relatively new to the game, and doesn't have any experience of getting a team out of the Championship.   

MJG

Not sure how anyone can say Rowet has less experience than Kit, he managed Burton for around 140 games before going to Birmingham. Granted a lower division, but the day to day job of being a manager he is seasons ahead of Kit

Neil D

Interesting piece in the Guardian today about Leicester's success and how crucial Steve Walsh is to it.  I can see why Pearson needs him - that said Ranieri has also brought in his own guy who worked with him at Juve, Inter and Roma.  So, it's not all down to Pearson's coaches by any means.  Anyway,  it would take big money to unravel this particular conundrum.  So, time to move on.

westcliff white

i think people need to be realistic about who we can get even from the day we sacked kit. Moyes was an ideal candidate but he wants a job in the top division, outside of him those available were all about the same level, none stood out to me.

Someone will say Pearson but he needs his other 2 coaches or wont sign, to me that says he is only comfortable in his zone so how much input did they have and how much did he have? Clarek almost go it but moved the goal posts it seems (was that leaked by us as in the fact his agent started to try and renegotiate?) the rest as I say are all very similar, unless we take a punt on someone form left field, can we afford to do that?

The appointment wont please everyone, and that in itself will please some on this board, but as i say we need to be realistic about what names will want the job or be attracted to the job
Every day is a Fulham day

Asotosyios

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 24, 2015, 01:52:56 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else not get excited about the prospect of Gary Rowett? Yes he's OK, but not the sort of managerial / coaching statement I was hoping for. Again, we take a risk on a "Will he won't he" type coach, who is still relatively new to the game, and doesn't have any experience of getting a team out of the Championship.   

No manager, however experienced he is and even if he has done it before, can be a "safe bet" that will lead us to the Premier League. If you think we need someone with Championship experience, you can check the relevant thread - the names there do not "shout" promotion to me.

Personally, I want the club to appoint someone that suits our style and overall philosophy; someone that will make us play as a team with a plan again even if that doesn't lead to promotion this year.

west kowloon white

What's the word on Holland- seems to me Chelsea play a dull game apart from Hazard's increasingly rare flashes of brilliance and Costa's histrionics?Does he want to bring Jose with him?

grandad

If all these managers can´t do the job without their coaches, why not just go after the best coaches & forget the manager. Riggsy can do the managers job.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Riverside

Quote from: grandad on November 24, 2015, 03:01:07 PM
If all these managers can´t do the job without their coaches, why not just go after the best coaches & forget the manager. Riggsy can do the managers job.

Think that is the plan .
Hence the search for a Head Coach .

St. Andrews White

Rowett would be an incredible coup.

He did very well at Burton, but the job he's done has been nothing short of a miracle.

He's turned them from certainties for relegation under Lee Clark to top-six contenders.

All of this with a squad in which they only paid a transfer fee for one player.

My Birmingham supporting friends say he's the best they've ever had, and whilst he's no son of God, he would be incredible for us.

Thing is...

He won't come.

He's got a chance at promotion with Birmingham, and even if he fails, he can then move on at the end of the season. The idea of him bailing mid-season is a nigh-on impossibility.
If it happens, I'll be absolutely over the moon, but I just can't see it happening.
The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Luffy86

And its all gone quiet..... just wish we had some news on the manager/head coach front!!!!

Ordar

I'd be very happy with Rowett. Would be hard to prise him and his team away from Birmingham, but he's widely seen as one of the best young managers in the English game at the moment.

He's managed almost 200 games at the age of 41 and has won just under 45%. The turnaround at Birmingham has been incredibly after taking over from Clark.

He's possibly not the glamorous name that people were hoping for, but I think we could do far worse. I think its unlikely that it would happen (even if he's currently clear favourite with the bookmakers), but I'd certainly be happy with his appointment.

(Found this article on him from BBC last month http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34458837, worth a read)

Slaphead in Qatar

rowett odds on for the job now with most bookies.

mikestrand

Birmingham City insist they have not been
contacted about the availability of their manager Gary Rowett.
The Championship club have this afternoon issued a brief statement which simply reads: "We have not had an approach from any club for Gary Rowett."
The Blues boss has today been connected with both the vacancy at Championship rivals Fulham and Queens Park Rangers.

Loz

I understood the sacking of Kit to be about ambition, about wanting to move a level up, so I'll be disappointed if instead we're just going to pinch another unproven manager from a team a few places above us in the league.

Ultimately, if we can't convince anyone with Premier League/ Championship promotion experience to join us then there are a lot of worse options than Gary Rowett, but I was hoping for more.
@LawrenceQuilty

Chesh

Quote from: mikestrand on November 24, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
The Championship club have this afternoon issued a brief statement which simply reads: "We have not had an approach from any club for Gary Rowett."
The Blues boss has today been connected with both the vacancy at Championship rivals Fulham and Queens Park Rangers.
Where did you see that then, because it's not on their official website or twitter account (unless I'm missing it)?
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

mikestrand

Quote from: Chesh on November 24, 2015, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: mikestrand on November 24, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
Where did you see that then, because it's not on their official website or twitter account (unless I'm missing it)?
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-havent-been-approached-10495386 [/url]easily missed

Ordar

I'm a bit surprised that Rowett wasn't ahead of Clarke and maybe even Pearson as the club's preferred choice. Of the coaches that we've been directly linked with, I'd say he's the best.

Maybe they didn't think they could get him (maybe they can't).

JDH101

Quote from: Loz on November 24, 2015, 05:06:13 PM
I understood the sacking of Kit to be about ambition, about wanting to move a level up, so I'll be disappointed if instead we're just going to pinch another unproven manager from a team a few places above us in the league.

Ultimately, if we can't convince anyone with Premier League/ Championship promotion experience to join us then there are a lot of worse options than Gary Rowett, but I was hoping for more.

No, the sacking of Kit was because he failed to reach the agreed points target by 20 games. He / we fell so short of it that we didn't even need to give him the full 20 games to know.