Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: David I on January 16, 2018, 09:06:04 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2018, 08:45:25 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 16, 2018, 07:32:04 AM
The Moose.....Cardiff have won chase  for Grabban,Reading want Martin,and Leeds could be set with another bid for Marriott... Thats 3 down then by the look of it,if they happen.

There's a surprise, where are our recruitment dudes, still in America ?
Busy "doing business early" and "doing everything they can to get us promotion"? Oh wait......
[/b][/size]

So true!
Its the hope that kills you!

Twig

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 16, 2018, 12:42:05 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2018, 12:25:18 AM
Quote from: Twig on January 16, 2018, 12:01:26 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2018, 10:55:47 PM
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is no mug, we cannot afford to turn our noses up at his kind of talent, despite what went on at Wolves and Leeds.

Can't say I know much about him, but in Aug 2016 he joined Wolves and only got 5 games (I think) before they sent him back to M U. In Aug 2017 he joins Leeds and has had limited game time and now they, allegedly, want rid. So if he's no mug what's the problem? Do you know any more?

There is no problem that cannot be overcome, as he would not have been on Manchester United's books since he was six.
He has played a couple of times in their first team, and represented England at u/20, u/19, u/17, and u/16 level. He was in and around the Wolves first team regularly until Paul Lambert came along, who it appears did not fancy him. So he was phased out.
As for Leeds it obviously did not work out for one reason or another.
He is a 6ft plus defender and an orthodox left back, with a decent future if he plays his cards right. 

I haven't seen a lot of him the last 2 years and only remember him from his United games when Van Gaal was the manager. No idea why it didn't work out at Wolves and Leeds; perhaps he's not good enough or perhaps their tactics didn't suit his style or perhaps the managers didn't like what they saw in training. As Woolly said, he is a 6ft defender that can play as LB and CB, fast, likes to attack and good with the ball on his feet - sounds like a Jokanovic-made full-back.

Regardless of Borthwick-Jackson, these are the kind of players that we should always be interested in buying. Young enough with a lot to prove and, if everything goes well, that they can make us some money in the transfer market after a few years. Also, having grown in the environment of a big club, they will be comfortable with the ball on their feet and playing possession football, which suits our current style just fine.

Ok but just to be clear, this is not a potential purchase it's another loan. So his longer term investment potential is irrelevant, he would need to be capable of slotting in and making a difference with immediate effect.

Hoppus

Not even a silly rumor considering Fulham on Twitter :|

Holders

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 16, 2018, 11:21:01 AM
Quote from: Holders on January 16, 2018, 10:54:51 AM
Quote from: JoelH5 on January 15, 2018, 11:02:04 PM
So we're now three players down. Madl, Graham and Soares.

Maybe he's living up to his promise and these are the deals that AM said we'd do early.

Probably want to make sure they can find homes for these players who aren't getting a look in before bringing in more and then finding out we have an over-bloated squad of unhappy players. Seems sensible to me. These players aren't getting a look in and nobody can say we are weakening our matchday squad by clearing out appendages.

Indeed, I wasn't being entirely serious. Of course it's sensible to move on those who aren't getting a look in - for their sakes as well as anything. More to the point, apart from Madl, who did a job, one wonders why the others were recruited if they weren't going to feature.  Not sure I'd call them "appendages" though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 16, 2018, 11:13:29 AM
I just hope we have enough admin staff to cope with the paperwork on the late surge of signings on the 30th/31st January!

Yes Gladys the Tea Lady has been asignrd to assist and help out, she has already been instructed to order a Lorry load of Paper Clips......err sorry 2 Lorry Loads.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

grandad

Seems sensible to me to get rid of players who will not feature in our 1st team squad. The club can then look into possible players who can go straight into the 18. It frees up a fair amount of salaries.
The Khans are in daily contact with the Club so what is the constant sniping at them for not being in the UK 24/7. Are all the other foreign based owners of a multitude of clubs over here 24/7 ? MAF certainly wasn´t.
Where there's a will there's a wife

mrmicawbers

With regard to Grandads post.Seem to recall that Mo was only allowed to spend a certain amount of time in UK without suffering tax implications. He did seem to make a lot of our home matches to be fair.Not sure where he went when not in uk.

KJS

3 Players who haven't featured are being shipped out, I think the club has done the right thing as it frees up space for other loans to come in if necessary.

No championship club has done much real business so far in the window so I don't see what the panic is, let them do their job  :54:

Roberty

Our recruitment team need to get their finger out - we seem to have missed out on another striker  :005:

Derby County have agreed a fee of £1.5m with Norwich City for striker Cameron Jerome, according to Sky sources.

The player will undergo a medical in Derby on Tuesday afternoon.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Texas White

Quote from: Roberty on January 16, 2018, 01:11:16 PM
Our recruitment team need to get their finger out - we seem to have missed out on another striker  :005:

Derby County have agreed a fee of £1.5m with Norwich City for striker Cameron Jerome, according to Sky sources.

+1

Marcel_Gecov

This certainly suggests Martin is leaving. I'm not hugely worried about this - 1 goal this season.

Riversider

Quote from: KJS on January 16, 2018, 12:43:02 PM
3 Players who haven't featured are being shipped out, I think the club has done the right thing as it frees up space for other loans to come in if necessary.

No championship club has done much real business so far in the window so I don't see what the panic is, let them do their job  :54:

Not strictly true is it, Sheffield United have already signed 4 new players.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Hoppus on January 16, 2018, 11:46:05 AM
Not even a silly rumor considering Fulham on Twitter :|

Seems that the journos have learned that Fulham rumors don't earn you clicks until the last week of the window. Everyone has learned that it's a load of poo.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Marcel_Gecov

We havent even had a rumour to upset Burnley ala Jota in the summer. That being said they don't have any players worth buying.

David I

If true, that is an absolute bargain for his championship experience and goals.... much prefer him over Martin.

mkras99

John Harriott

@JHFootballAgent
55m55 minutes ago
More
Dwight Gayle will sign for Fulham this transfer window. The figure is believed to be in the region of £13million. Dwight is keen for a move back down south. #NUFC #FFC

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: David I on January 16, 2018, 02:21:16 PM

If true, that is an absolute bargain for his championship experience and goals.... much prefer him over Martin.

Goals

DevonFFC

Gayle coming in explains us clearing out dead wood to make room for a large wage earner coming I

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: mkras99 on January 16, 2018, 02:33:35 PM
John Harriott

@JHFootballAgent
55m55 minutes ago
More
Dwight Gayle will sign for Fulham this transfer window. The figure is believed to be in the region of £13million. Dwight is keen for a move back down south. #NUFC #FFC
+1 
MINCE...MINCE....Did you hear!!!  :)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 16, 2018, 02:56:09 PM
Quote from: mkras99 on January 16, 2018, 02:33:35 PM
John Harriott

@JHFootballAgent
55m55 minutes ago
More
+1 
MINCE...MINCE....Did you hear!!!  :)

He's fainted
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.