The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 28, 2018, 10:05:09 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 28, 2018, 09:01:27 AM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on January 28, 2018, 08:56:38 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 28, 2018, 05:39:10 AM
Nick Powell or Luke Freeman would be decent replacements if it came to it.

What about both ? Our midfield is a bit stale at the moment.

Yes I agree, we have to have more options, that is imperative if we want to achieve promotion. It will be a result to get both on board if we are serious about attempting to make a top six spot, although I wouldn't rule out second place either, and to achieve that we will need players of their ability and experience to make it happen.

Are either good enough for the prem? There's no need to fill the team up with championship players only to have to sell them in 6 months. Bit more forward planning would be great.

Not talking about them being good enough for the prem, we are not in the Premier.
I am talking about players who are good enough to get us there first, that's what matters. Both those players are as good as what we have, if not better. If we ever get promoted, then we will know if there good enough. If not then we have a few million after Khan has trousered as much as he can to purchase Premier players.
Let's just get there first which will be a hard enough task anyway. Then worry about how we stay and survive and consolidate, and those extra millions will no doubt reinforce our ability to attract the better players.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bracken White

Certainly do not want to lose Cairney & despite yesterday's assurances anything can happen in the last few days of the window. That said, Nick Powell looked a real class act, and was a top prospect for Man U some years back & would not look out of place in our midfield. Do hope a striker & CH are lined up, to heighten our promo prospects.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

One Martin Thomas

Yes I agree, we have to have more options, that is imperative if we want to achieve promotion. It will be a result to get both on board if we are serious about attempting to make a top six spot, although I wouldn't rule out second place either, and to achieve that we will need players of their ability and experience to make it happen.

Are either good enough for the prem? There's no need to fill the team up with championship players only to have to sell them in 6 months. Bit more forward planning would be great.

I think at 23 and 25 both these targets have the time and ability to improve as Cairney did. Id rather we looked closer to home than Belgium, France and Portugal etc.....

Count Flapula

Would rather keep Cairney and not sign another two midfielders and then review where we are in the summer.

Main reason being signing two midfielders would just further block the path of Edun / O Riley to getting valuable first team minutes when both are said to be improving and close to battling for this. I honestly believe both have big futures and would hate to see another Roberts / Dembele / Hyndman situation - I also believe the way we are playing at present means that even if we get an injury in midfield that i'd be confident one of these could step in and keep the team ticking. It's a risk but so is signing any player for a big fee. We have to keep in mind they are going to be big players so need game time.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on January 28, 2018, 10:51:07 AM

I think at 23 and 25 both these targets have the time and ability to improve as Cairney did. Id rather we looked closer to home than Belgium, France and Portugal etc.....

Too much of a risk... perhaps in the summer but not now.

MrFFC

Keep Cairney bring in a good quality Championship proven Cb & it's a good window for me
Come on you Whites!! :)

Deeping_white

Kaveh Solhekol‏ Verified account
@SkyKaveh

West Ham made £15m bid for Tom Cairney last week. Fulham told them they were wasting their time. Said they wouldn't even consider £40m bid

12:52 PM - 28 Jan 2018

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2018, 01:04:11 PM
@SkyKaveh

West Ham made £15m bid for Tom Cairney last week. Fulham told them they were wasting their time. Said they wouldn't even consider £40m bid

They wouldn't consider 40 million solely because 40 million hasn't been offered. If it had been, we'd be discussing Tom's replacement right now, as well as composing songs for our new CB, celebrating making Norwood permanent as well as Targett. Nevermind the medical bills to pay for the arm that was ripped off when we snatched up the offer.

Unless I'm mistaken, that'd be a record signing for a Championship player....at 28 years old....with recent knee issues.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Deeping_white

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on January 28, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
@SkyKaveh

They wouldn't consider 40 million solely because 40 million hasn't been offered. If it had been, we'd be discussing Tom's replacement right now, as well as composing songs for our new CB, celebrating making Norwood permanent as well as Targett. Nevermind the medical bills to pay for the arm that was ripped off when we snatched up the offer.

Unless I'm mistaken, that'd be a record signing for a Championship player....at 28 years old....with recent knee issues.

I think you're missing the point somewhat - we're deliberately pricing him out of a move because he's invaluable to us, nobody in their right mind would pay £40m and if they do then fair play because it's a stupidly large amount of money.

Holders

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2018, 04:31:53 PM
@SkyKaveh

I think you're missing the point somewhat - we're deliberately pricing him out of a move because he's invaluable to us, nobody in their right mind would pay £40m and if they do then fair play because it's a stupidly large amount of money.

Maybe I read it differently but I thought that was the point that Toodles was making. If we were offered anything like £40k of course we'd take it and right to do so.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MJG

Nick Powell is forever going to be that promising youngster who is the next big thing, but before you know it he will be 29 having gone from championship to L1 and back again every few years and in the end nothing more than bog standard midfielder.
Just the views of a long term fan

@jolslover

Quote from: MJG on January 28, 2018, 04:38:49 PM
Nick Powell is forever going to be that promising youngster who is the next big thing, but before you know it he will be 29 having gone from championship to L1 and back again every few years and in the end nothing more than big standard midfielder.

Agree
STH H3

Asotosyios

From Sky Sports transfer centre:

CAIRNEY KEEN ON HAMMERS BUT STAYING PUT

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney wants to move to West Ham but accepts he will not be sold this month, Sky Sports understands. West Ham were told Fulham would not even sell Cairney for £40m when they offered £15m last week. Cairney is aware of West Ham's interest and would like to play in the Premier League but Fulham have told him he will not be moving, and the player and his representatives have accepted the decision.Fulham are in a strong position because Cairney signed a contract extension last summer.

Tabby

Wonder which way the odds on Cairney leaving are going now.

The dildo brothers have a history of making bids on players they don't sign and leaking it to the media to placate their fanbase. Seems this is just the newest iteration.

Riverside

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 28, 2018, 05:07:52 PM
From Sky Sports transfer centre:

CAIRNEY KEEN ON HAMMERS BUT STAYING PUT

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney wants to move to West Ham but accepts he will not be sold this month, Sky Sports understands. West Ham were told Fulham would not even sell Cairney for £40m when they offered £15m last week. Cairney is aware of West Ham's interest and would like to play in the Premier League but Fulham have told him he will not be moving, and the player and his representatives have accepted the decision.Fulham are in a strong position because Cairney signed a contract extension last summer.

There is a way he can play in the Premier League without leaving ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJS

mrmicawbers

Ryan Woods at Brentford.According to a QPR site Bizarrely.

grandad

Quote from: Holders on January 28, 2018, 04:37:17 PM
@SkyKaveh

Maybe I read it differently but I thought that was the point that Toodles was making. If we were offered anything like £40k of course we'd take it and right to do so.

The Club said "Not even £40 mil." If Wet Spam offered £50 mil or more I would still tell them to blow some more bubbles from their rear end.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: grandad on January 28, 2018, 07:47:56 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 28, 2018, 04:37:17 PM
@SkyKaveh

The Club said "Not even £40 mil." If Wet Spam offered £50 mil or more I would still tell them to blow some more bubbles from their rear end.
I think if anyone offered £20m, £25m or anywhere near to that figure then Fulham would take it.
Hope I'm wrong, but money talks 😲
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on January 28, 2018, 04:38:49 PM
Nick Powell is forever going to be that promising youngster who is the next big thing, but before you know it he will be 29 having gone from championship to L1 and back again every few years and in the end nothing more than bog standard midfielder.

Disagree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.