more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We need to talk about Sergio Rico

Started by andyk, January 20, 2019, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2019, 08:51:31 PM
Bettinelli doesn't come for crosses. In 5-6 years playing for Fulham, I don't think he has ever claimed a cross where it involved coming more than 18 inches off his line and/or competing with another player.

In any case one mistake from Rico doesn't suddenly make him a Championship 'keeper

I agree with you. For once.

andyk

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2019, 08:51:31 PM
Bettinelli doesn't come for crosses. In 5-6 years playing for Fulham, I don't think he has ever claimed a cross where it involved coming more than 18 inches off his line and/or competing with another player.

In any case one mistake from Rico doesn't suddenly make him a Championship 'keeper

It's not his first mistake.   He's let loads of goals in that other keepers in the Prem would have saved.

Fact is that he can save the ball if it is hit straight at him, which shows that he is good positionally.

But he's not agile, and can't react quickly to the ball if it is a few inches to his left or right.   His reluctance to come off his line is his other failing.
Teams have spotted it and they are lumping the ball towards the six yard box from distance. Unless he sorts that out, we will continue to concede goals, we shouldn't concede.

The Rational Fan

Sergio Rico is making mistakes, but he is still the best player in the "back six" this season by miles and miles. At his best he is Champions League keeper and at his worst he is a lower table EPL First Xi keeper, but even at his worst he not a Championship Keeper.

kiwian

I froze the moment when they scored that last goal, player was inside the 6yd  box and Rico was stuck on his line, his error, end of. As the last line of defence he should have come for it.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

The Rational Fan

Can I ask who is the best keeper of Betts and Fabri? I think statistics indicate Fabri, he's definately better on crosses and more experienced. I wonder if we may need to consider giving the other goalkeepers games against Chelsea, Liverpool and Mancester City in March.

RaySmith

I thought Fabri unfairly got a hard time, and was dropped after a couple of games.

But Rico has weaknesses too -not sure if he' better than Betts. But we shouldn't keep changing the keeper, like we did earlier in the season.

The Rational Fan

Can someone please explain why Betts and Fabri aren't getting some games in the "Premier League 2 (PL2)" like Cisse did?

I believe Fulham are allowed to play an overaged goalkeeper and few of overage outfield players. Does anyone know the PL2 Rules?

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 21, 2019, 06:57:53 AM
Can someone please explain why Betts and Fabri aren't getting some games in the "Premier League 2 (PL2)" like Cisse did?

I believe Fulham are allowed to play an overaged goalkeeper and few of overage outfield players. Does anyone know the PL2 Rules?
Modern football pretty much says that you dont play First Team footballers in the reserves. Cisse was out of that squad and playing in 23's. Now hes back.

I dont agree with it but the last time we really played guys in the reserrves was in Roys time.
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

We need to talk about Sergio Rico....

Ok, he's the best keeper we have. There you are I've talked about him.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2019, 07:34:23 AM

Modern football pretty much says that you dont play First Team footballers in the reserves. Cisse was out of that squad and playing in 23's. Now hes back.

I dont agree with it but the last time we really played guys in the reserrves was in Roys time.

I would love to define "First Team footballer", because Fabri seems to almost equally "out of the First Team squad".

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 21, 2019, 07:57:11 AM
Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2019, 07:34:23 AM

I would love to define "First Team footballer", because Fabri seems to almost equally "out of the First Team squad".
Depends what you define as first team squad?   Its more than the matchday 18 and more like 25.

I have a real concern that with the plans in place for MP the gap between the groups will becaome larger and the chance for U23's to move up will reduce.

FFC1987

I think Rico is easily our best keeper but also should of come for that cross upon review. BUT, Bryan, is easily the biggest offender for why that goal went in. Watching a full back look at said player 4 times in his run and at no point deciding to get in front of him and you know, defend, is criminal. Lost a lot of respect for Bryan on that. That's not a technical issue, that's a lazy one.

JimmyBullardsBarber

I don't think the three GK's are Championship quality, tbh. I find it difficult to accept we couldn't find a better option on the cheap. ffs, how did we get here with this lot? i see more promise at center half than at keeper.

KJS

Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2019, 07:45:04 AM
We need to talk about Sergio Rico....

Ok, he's the best keeper we have. There you are I've talked about him.

Totally agree no contest about him being the best we have at the club  :54: 049:gif

KJS

Quote from: JimmyBullardsBarber on January 21, 2019, 06:19:59 PM
I don't think the three GK's are Championship quality, tbh. I find it difficult to accept we couldn't find a better option on the cheap. ffs, how did we get here with this lot? i see more promise at center half than at keeper.

You must be a  :hook:

Matt10

Think he just needs to work on his confidence in getting out to catch crosses. Had a couple should-be catches that were punches instead. Both goals definitely needs to command the area. He hasn't whiffed on a cross yet when he's aggressive, so might as well go for it to prevent our defense to have to make a decision.

Woolly Mammoth

At the moment Rico wears the Jersey so it's his to lose. There are mistakes currently being made this season all over the pitch not just in goal.
So although I have a soft spot for Betts and I like him, he will have to be patient.
Although to be honest I feel that we may need in the longer term step up a gear and look for a quality custodian if neither Rico or Betts turn out not to be the answer.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

sarnian

Quote from: kiwian on January 21, 2019, 04:32:39 AM
I froze the moment when they scored that last goal, player was inside the 6yd  box and Rico was stuck on his line, his error, end of. As the last line of defence he should have come for it.

Absolute rubbish. Have you ever played in goal?.  A great cross across the goal. If Rico had come out to collect the ball and someone at the near side of goal had got his head to the ball and scored you would have crucified him for not staying on his line. How often do you see centres attacked by forwards who all miss the ball and it creeps inside the far post with no one touching it. Keepers cannot win, they are dammed if they come out and dammed if they dont

David I

Whilst Rico may have come for the ball. Joe Bryan was wrong side and Winks breezed past him for the header. Combination of errors - not just Rico.

nose returns

I have said for ages rico's ability at crossing is very suspect but usually get shouted down by the clique that generally appear between monday to friday (or any day that isn't the one after match day) that see nothing wrong at the club, its players or management and find excuses for virtually any errors.

Rico is worse than betts in my opinion, betts does claim the ball in the air and is more commanding of the box. Shot stopping about equal and distribution rico obviously superior except he was poor yesterday but aeveryone in entitled to an off day.

But to claim rico is better than betts is, especially for an english type game where crossing is so prevelant needs glasses, betts was and remains superior. But in truth there isn't much between them but time for betts to have another go.

The real crime yesterday was ream's error and bryan's lamentable marking of winks, all he had to do was atay with him. If seri would have made that error i would have written volumes on the subject but bryan's lack of effort, because he did see him was pathetic and was proof positive we need full backs!

I feel sorry for ant fulham keeper that has to play behind our defence... having said that rico really should have done far better in dealing with both goals, even if he still let them in he made no effort to intercept the ball and looked like a statue.