watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f bloke

Although certain wide players can play inverted, really don't think you can play inverted full blacks. FBs are important in providing width, the ability to go on the outside. This is especially important if you are playing with inverted wingers. Other than for a game or two, neither Odoi or S Sess can play that position effectively. Odoi also seemed to have real radar problems when playing LB for us.  Also neither MLM nor Ream are nearly athletic enough to play that position. FBs need to be just about the most athletic players on the park. It is easier to convert from FB to CB than vice versa eg Odoi.

Odoi may have played LB in the past but that could just him doing a job because there were no other alternatives, just like the position we would be in if we lost Bryan.

At RB, we have CC, Odoi, S Sess and Fossey. Neither the U 23 s or the u 18s had a regular LB last season. They generally had to make do with players playing out of position. We are woefully short of LBs at the club

MickyAdamsFamily

This comes from the Spanish site eldesmarque.com:
"La situación de Chema dentro del equipo es más complicada. El técnico de Silla no cuenta demasiado con el central, por lo que lo más seguro es que termine saliendo de Orriols a lo largo de este verano. En principio, el caudetano ha recibido una oferta del Fulham, por lo que es probable que termine saliendo al club inglés."
Essentially, they're saying it's probable that Chema, who plays in the center of Defense for Levante, is probable to finally leave that team and accept the offer from Fulham to play in England.
He's a Spanish 6' 2-1/2" tall Centre Back.
Anyone seen him play for Levante enough to have an opinion?

Tabby

Only thing I know about Chema is that we were linked with that transfer back in the start of the window.

bobby01

Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 01:31:58 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 22, 2019, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 22, 2019, 01:09:26 PM
I believe it's still only 2 loan players in PL at any one time.

This is how we got caught out last season. We lost 7 1st team players who were on loan and had to start the season with a whole new team.

If we are looking to promotion, we should limit loans to non starting team members imo.

COYW!

In simple terms, you don't get the quality of Cavaleiro and Knockaert without them though. I think as long as both have reasonable buy clauses at end of loan spell, it's not only fine, but essential for teams wanting to get promoted.

Loan with an option to buy is the best of both worlds IMO.

Try before you buy... keep them if you want to

Even better than a permanent signing

The only downside is that, I suspect, we've had to pay significant loan fees, and/or we'd perhaps have got them slightly cheaper than the option exercise price had we bought them outright now

:plus one: getting fed up agreeing with you  statto.  :005:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Statto

Quote from: f bloke on July 22, 2019, 03:14:02 PM
Although certain wide players can play inverted, really don't think you can play inverted full blacks. FBs are important in providing width, the ability to go on the outside. This is especially important if you are playing with inverted wingers. Other than for a game or two, neither Odoi or S Sess can play that position effectively. Odoi also seemed to have real radar problems when playing LB for us.  Also neither MLM nor Ream are nearly athletic enough to play that position. FBs need to be just about the most athletic players on the park. It is easier to convert from FB to CB than vice versa eg Odoi.

Odoi may have played LB in the past but that could just him doing a job because there were no other alternatives, just like the position we would be in if we lost Bryan.

At RB, we have CC, Odoi, S Sess and Fossey. Neither the U 23 s or the u 18s had a regular LB last season. They generally had to make do with players playing out of position. We are woefully short of LBs at the club

Just to clarify/elaborate, transfermarkt says Odoi played well over 100 games at LB, so it wasnt just him doing a job there for Lokeren. Also, do we know he's right footed? Ive a feeling he may be one of those players who's equally good with both feet (and his head... and his back)

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on July 22, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
This comes from the Spanish site eldesmarque.com:
"La situación de Chema dentro del equipo es más complicada. El técnico de Silla no cuenta demasiado con el central, por lo que lo más seguro es que termine saliendo de Orriols a lo largo de este verano. En principio, el caudetano ha recibido una oferta del Fulham, por lo que es probable que termine saliendo al club inglés."
Essentially, they're saying it's probable that Chema, who plays in the center of Defense for Levante, is probable to finally leave that team and accept the offer from Fulham to play in England.
He's a Spanish 6' 2-1/2" tall Centre Back.
Anyone seen him play for Levante enough to have an opinion?

He's a left footed CB. Not needed really. Doesn't solve the RCB issue.

junior white

Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 22, 2019, 02:12:49 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 02:09:25 PM
Quote from: Jimmy Hill on July 22, 2019, 02:02:36 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 22, 2019, 01:46:16 PM
I'm not hearing any talk of left back cover. Surely this is our weakest position as we only have Bryan and er Bryan.

I always think you should give youth a chance at the start of a season to be cover. You always have ream and MLM odoi that can play there. Then if they are not cutting it get someone in Jan. There is alaways getting and experienced pro on a free if we were really desperate too. I think that having too big a squad causes more problems than its worth plus you can spend the money on mitros wages.

Odoi can play there too. He was primarily a left back when we bought him.
to be fair , you could say every position is adequately covered though if we are going to invludebplayers who could do a job if required

Well Odoi has played more games in his career at LB than anywhere else, according to transfermarkt. So he's basically an LB who also does a job for us at CB and RB when required
We're bought odoi to cover both fullback positions, his CB covering has been a bonus

MickyAdamsFamily

Yes, but have you seen him play?
Also, the dominant foot is less of an issue with a centre back than it is with a full back. Generally the right back should be right footed and the left back left footed, the better to send in a cross and to keep their man from beating them to the outside, but centre backs are not so universally aligned. There are centre backs who prefer to play with their dominant foot towards the centre of the pitch (ie: right centre backs who are left footed, and left centre backs who are right footed), as it gives them more confidence defending the middle of the pitch and clearing the ball out wide. It's more a matter of personal preference and team need, I believe.

f bloke

Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 03:41:15 PM

Just to clarify/elaborate, transfermarkt says Odoi played well over 100 games at LB, so it wasnt just him doing a job there for Lokeren. Also, do we know he's right footed? Ive a feeling he may be one of those players who's equally good with both feet (and his head... and his back)

———————————————-

He is right footed. When he has played LB for us before he unbalanced the side in that he didn't provide the width to go outside and frequently slowed the game down to shift on to his stronger foot.  You really do need be nearly as good with your weaker foot to play as an inverted FB and neither him or S Sess are. In my opinion,  he is barely adequate as a RB, not adequate at all as a LB.

S.F.Sorrow

I read somewhere that his favourite position is actually LB. But if I remember correctly he likes to cut inwards from LB which may require a slight change of tactics.

Nero

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 22, 2019, 04:25:50 PM

I read somewhere that his favourite position is actually LB. But if I remember correctly he likes to cut inwards from LB which may require a slight change of tactics.

Tatic change Denis get the ball pass a glorious 25 yard pass forward for Ivan to run onto, job done

Captain Fulhamerica

Is it just me, or is this concern over whether a player is an RCB or LCB new? I can't recall the distinction being an issue in the past. I personally don't mind having two right footed or left footed CBs. A good CB should make that adjustment pretty quickly.

MickyAdamsFamily

We Are Premier League

Quote from: f bloke on July 22, 2019, 04:24:38 PM

———————————————-

He is right footed. When he has played LB for us before he unbalanced the side in that he didn't provide the width to go outside and frequently slowed the game down to shift on to his stronger foot.  You really do need be nearly as good with your weaker foot to play as an inverted FB and neither him or S Sess are. In my opinion,  he is barely adequate as a RB, not adequate at all as a LB.

From what have read and seen to date, SP appears to have his mind set on playing inverted wingers (i expect to see Cav on the left and Knock on the right) so we will need Fullbacks that can overlap and cross the ball. I would prefer a new RB over a backup LB, Bryan is as good as we will get and IF somethign happens to him, we have a few not great but ok backups that can cover him until Jan 1st. On the other side, I'm not convinced the Cyrus can cross the ball and it feels a bit risky to expect Sess to step in as the first choice RB. 

Tabby

We're in for Elbasan Rashani of Odd according to the daily mail. Would be yet another winger.

hovewhite

Quote from: Tabby on July 22, 2019, 07:17:08 PM
We're in for Elbasan Rashani of Odd according to the daily mail. Would be yet another winger.
wingers mitro and TC and score more goals than the other team!going to be brilliant!!

f321ffc

From the Twitter sphere

Trevoh Chalobah and Chelsea are nearing an agreement over a new long-term deal for the 20-year-old.

He will be sent out on loan immediately - Fulham and West Brom interested.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

FFC1987

Quote from: f321ffc on July 22, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
From the Twitter sphere

Trevoh Chalobah and Chelsea are nearing an agreement over a new long-term deal for the 20-year-old.

He will be sent out on loan immediately - Fulham and West Brom interested.

STH'ers I know at Ipswich weren't impressed to be honest. Said wasn't championship standard and didn't see enough to think he'd be on in next few seasons. Not sure about this one.

FulhamKC

FWIW, Ream played left FB for the US this summer at the Gold Cup.