watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goodbye Floyd...

Started by Maidstone Lee, September 02, 2019, 04:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

A pleasure to watch.  One of those wide players who find the right balance between the attacking and defensive parts of the job. 

One finish absolutely sticks in my mind.  When the ball broke to him at home to Aston Villa on the halfway line following a Villa mix up and with their goalkeeper stranded out of position.  Very very easy to miss, but he didn't.  John Terry's face as the ball sailed past him was priceless.  Thanks Floyd.

grandad

Did we get any money for him ? Also did we get any loan fees for the players out on loan?
Where there's a will there's a wife

Tabby

Quote from: Statto on September 03, 2019, 10:12:15 AM
Quote from: Tabby on September 03, 2019, 09:32:01 AM
Also probably the worst finisher of our wingers in recent years after Aluko.

Not just a better finisher than Aluko but also a better finisher than Kebano, Kamara and Ojo. So basically all the wingers we had in the Jokanovic Championship era except Sessegnon. IMO the best finishers we had in that era were Mitrovic, Sessegnon, Cairney, Ayite and (hate to admit it) Martin. No one outside those five would have scored the Villa half-way-line goal.

You should go back and watch the promotion season. He got the Villa half-way-line goal but he also missed a lot of clear cut chances. There is a reason he only scored 4 goals all season.

Ojo was similarly bad at least, but Kebano and Kamara have more of an eye for goal imo. Ayite is probably the best overall player out of those three though.

the nutflush

Quote from: bencher on September 02, 2019, 06:39:34 PM
I'll always remember getting a ping on my phone on a Friday in the summer of 2016 when his signing was announced. I'd never heard of him before, but his signing marked the start of a real upturn in our fortunes, and we went from having the likes of Mark Fotheringham and Adil Chihi to him, Aluko and others that joined that summer and turned us into an attacking force that was a pleasure to watch. A player that worked hard and with a smile on his face, and who was genuinely hard not to like.
For me, the goal v Norwich away will live long in the memory (especially with GJ's epic commentary).
Best of luck Floyd, you will be missed.

Fotheringhan and Chihi. Those were the days.... nobody ever wants to see again. Good luck Floyd. Always had a soft spot for him. Maybe it's because our cat is named Floyd. Maybe it's because he was a good honest contributor.

MJG

Extra space available in Physio room now.
Just the views of a long term fan

KeenCottager

Correct choice to get rid now > not going to get too many chances, frequently injured and now off the wage bill - hopefully with a small fee

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Tabby on September 03, 2019, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 03, 2019, 10:12:15 AM
Quote from: Tabby on September 03, 2019, 09:32:01 AM
Also probably the worst finisher of our wingers in recent years after Aluko.

Not just a better finisher than Aluko but also a better finisher than Kebano, Kamara and Ojo. So basically all the wingers we had in the Jokanovic Championship era except Sessegnon. IMO the best finishers we had in that era were Mitrovic, Sessegnon, Cairney, Ayite and (hate to admit it) Martin. No one outside those five would have scored the Villa half-way-line goal.

You should go back and watch the promotion season. He got the Villa half-way-line goal but he also missed a lot of clear cut chances. There is a reason he only scored 4 goals all season.

Ojo was similarly bad at least, but Kebano and Kamara have more of an eye for goal imo. Ayite is probably the best overall player out of those three though.
But surely there is also a reason that Joka chose him to play in 29 games.  Your implicit criticism of him seems harsh to me.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Tabby

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 03, 2019, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: Tabby on September 03, 2019, 12:38:08 PM

But surely there is also a reason that Joka chose him to play in 29 games.  Your implicit criticism of him seems harsh to me.

I don't see why you'd see it as harsh criticism. Aluko was brilliant for the season he was here and he couldn't finish a sandwich.

aaronmcguigan

Just checked Genclerberligis squad and Floyds teammates. He's moved on to play alongside his third Sessegnon. Stephane plays for genclerberligi

toshes mate

I appreciate SP is trying to stamp his team's hall mark upon the squad but, if he agreed to let Ayite go, then that, IMHO, is a mistake. 

Really good player with bags of often unappreciated talent who I wish all the very best to.

Sting of the North

Quote from: toshes mate on September 04, 2019, 10:31:59 AM
I appreciate SP is trying to stamp his team's hall mark upon the squad but, if he agreed to let Ayite go, then that, IMHO, is a mistake. 

Really good player with bags of often unappreciated talent who I wish all the very best to.

:plus one:

This sums it up really. Although we do not know how much Floyd was pushing for a move (due to seemingly not being very high on the priority list), so even if SP would have wanted to keep him everyone may have agreed in the end that this was the best solution.

ALG01

He was obviously a nice lad and I loved him for that and his attitude but IMO he was not good enough. he had his moments but not good enough often enough and I could not see him fitting-in in the long term.

snarks

I don't think it's a mistake given who we have, but I am sorry to see him leave.

hovewhite

Quote from: snarks on September 04, 2019, 12:55:35 PM
I don't think it's a mistake given who we have, but I am sorry to see him leave.
think most of us are.

Whitesideup

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 03, 2019, 12:36:02 AM
Quote from: Whitesideup on September 03, 2019, 12:08:19 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 02, 2019, 11:25:59 PM
In League games for Fulham:

Player |Minutes Per Goal |Minutes Per Assist
Ayite294412
Kebano257386
Kamara200667

*Kamara played the most minutes in the Premier League
For me, meaningless stats.

How many good runs when he didn't get the pass he wanted? How much good defensive work?

Sure stats can be misleading and don't tell the whole story, I wouldn't disagree that Ayite had a better off-the-ball work rate and this is probably why Slavisa preferred to select him.

I'm not even too sure what these are supposed to show.

The numbers show that on average Ayite has required to play a larger amount of minutes in order to score a goal when compared to both Kebano and Kamara, and a larger amount of minutes in order to provide an assist when compared to Kebano (the opposite is true with Kamara).
Can't let this go without a reasoned reply. Yes, of course, but your explanation is just stating the obvious. My point is that stats often don't reflect the whole picture. That's enough.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on September 04, 2019, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 03, 2019, 12:36:02 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on September 02, 2019, 11:25:59 PM
In League games for Fulham:

Player |Minutes Per Goal |Minutes Per Assist
Ayite294412
Kebano257386
Kamara200667

*Kamara played the most minutes in the Premier League
For me, meaningless stats.

How many good runs when he didn't get the pass he wanted? How much good defensive work?

Sure stats can be misleading and don't tell the whole story, I wouldn't disagree that Ayite had a better off-the-ball work rate and this is probably why Slavisa preferred to select him.

I'm not even too sure what these are supposed to show.

The numbers show that on average Ayite has required to play a larger amount of minutes in order to score a goal when compared to both Kebano and Kamara, and a larger amount of minutes in order to provide an assist when compared to Kebano (the opposite is true with Kamara).
Can't let this go without a reasoned reply. Yes, of course, but your explanation is just stating the obvious. My point is that stats often don't reflect the whole picture. That's enough.
Agreed. Using the same analysis, I suspect Pavel Pogrebnyak is one of best strikers we've ever had.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Whitesideup on September 04, 2019, 10:30:16 PM

I should point out that my previous post already asserted acknowledgement that stats don't tell the whole story.

Quote from: Statto on September 04, 2019, 10:38:26 PM
Using the same analysis, I suspect Pavel Pogrebnyak is one of best strikers we've ever had.

The difference between using stats for Ayite and Pogrebnyak is that Ayite played over 4,000 league minutes for Fulham whereas Pogrebnyak played just 949. You therefore get a must better reflection of Ayite's ability from his stats as it's derived from a much larger sample of time. If Pogrebnyak played over 4,000 minutes for us in the Premiership I'm sure his stats would instead be relatively unremarkable.

Furthermore the comparison between Ayite / Kamara / Kebano involves respective spells at the club which have largely overlapped with each other, it's therefore quite a straight-forward comparison.

toshes mate

There is much current debate, scientific and expert analysis about common abuses of data in statistical analysis especially since even the best computer modelling and programming cannot yield meaningful output without the very best, consistent and reliable material being used.  The whole concept of probability studies is being questioned because data and algorithms designed for one use (and one use alone) are often being misinterpreted and used inappropriately. 

There are examples of abuse cited across the entire range of human professions and occupations.  The entire field of communications is now being filled to the brim with built in biases from these abuses which were intended to help us and are now serving to hinder us and, in many cases, box us into corners.  Computers cannot lie unless the programmer or modeller is either a poor technician or a fraud to start with.  Data cannot lie unless it was set up to be biased from the moment it was collected or it was never telling the truth from the outset i.e. it was garbage or trash from the start.  If the program or model isn't fit for the purpose intended then no matter what quality data you pass through it the output will be garbage or trash.

Just as an example the mind of an average five year old couldn't be simulated or emulated by all the computer power we have in the world today, and until we solve some big scientific puzzles our computers are not going to become more powerful in the computational sense any time soon.

All stats should come with a big health warning because they can be lethal.

flyingfish

My daughter was a team mascot for a match last season and while she said the whole squad were really nice and made a gua of her, she singled out Floyd as being particularly nice to her, and we have a lovely photo of the two of them together.

Jims Dentist

Very best wishes Floyd.
I  always prefered you wide left,but you were a good club man and did your best wherever.
Injuries permitting you should grace the turkish league.