watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Appoint Scott Parker

Started by valdeingruo, May 10, 2019, 02:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Is this Scott Parker celebrating in the nightclub tonight??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgeEsvLhGqs
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Texas White

ChrisB22

Quote from: Frackleheath on May 10, 2019, 02:38:14 PM
Now let's get on with the rebuild job - sooner rather than later!! Sooner than we usually do, so the SP has a chance to get the team together BEFORE the season is upon us!!
Totally agree

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

RaySmith

Scott has a clear idea of the problems with the club, and what needs to be done, and has done well since he's been in charge.
He also seems to be able to communicate well with the players, and has their respect, and with the fans.
He is honest and gives his all as a manager, as he did as a player, and thus seems a good fit with Fulham's ethos.
He is also young, but has a lot of experience in the game at all levels,

An outsider would need time to find out the capabilities of the players, and what needs to be done.

I Ronic

Scot, if you're reading this. You'll know we're all behind you. A couple of us are a little worried about your lack of experience and whether the powers that be won't meddle too much with your plans to build a successful, promotion chasing team. I think what worries us the most though. Is how you're going to get to grips with the appalling lack of grammar, semantics and syntax that seem to be rife within the club we all love. Good luck mate. I've got a copy of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" on the bookshelf if you need it.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on May 11, 2019, 04:46:07 AM
Scott has a clear idea of the problems with the club, and what needs to be done, and has done well since he's been in charge.
He also seems to be able to communicate well with the players, and has their respect, and with the fans.
He is honest and gives his all as a manager, as he did as a player, and thus seems a good fit with Fulham's ethos.
He is also young, but has a lot of experience in the game at all levels,

An outsider would need time to find out the capabilities of the players, and what needs to be done.

Good level headed post, and could not agree more.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: I Ronic on May 11, 2019, 08:36:52 AM
Scot, if you're reading this. You'll know we're all behind you. A couple of us are a little worried about your lack of experience and whether the powers that be won't meddle too much with your plans to build a successful, promotion chasing team. I think what worries us the most though. Is how you're going to get to grips with the appalling lack of grammar, semantics and syntax that seem to be rife within the club we all love. Good luck mate. I've got a copy of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" on the bookshelf if you need it.

Good morning I Ronic, thank you for your kind words, and I share your concerns.
However, may I reassure you that players Semantics and Syntax will not be joining us after all, as I recently discovered that Semantics has unfortunately just failed his medical, as we eventually discovered after a full scan and research that he has a Wooden leg, which initially did not flag up on TKs stats.
As for Syntax, he refuses to join when he realised we play at least once a week, and the temperatures drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, as he does not posses a pair of gloves thick enough, which is another item that did not appear on TKs stats.
As for experience, I have forgotten more about football than the powers to be will ever learn.
Whether I will get a say in who joins, well your guess is as good as mine, as who can forecaste what will  happen next in the land of the cuckoo.
So it's onwards and upwards, although I will check in my bathroom mirror three times a day after meals, if there are any switch blade knives sticking in my back.
This is a new era for the club, but only if nobody starts interfering, but that's another story.
I believe the Dugouts may be switched to the other side of the pitch in front of the Johnny Haynes stand, if construction commences on the Riverside. So we will all be joining the owners in having the sun in our eyes.
See you at Wembley some time soon.
Yours in Sport
Scott 🆘

Never forget your Roots.

I Ronic

Shouldn't that be  "If nobody stats interfering" ?

Steven Ageroad

Given time Scott Parker could become our own "Eddie Howe".

Cottage Industry

Cottage Industry
Congratulations Scott on achieving the Head Coach role at Fulham FFC. It is well deserved. In particular I have always liked the way you present yourself, because imo you typify how you wish to present Fulham FFC both on and off the pitch. The recent results have proved your point, with a vast improvement in attitude on the the field of play, together with a great response from the players to your training methods.
You have appointed worthy lieutenants whom appear to sing from the same song sheet and this augers well for the future.

You will of course have your ups and downs,but a great deal more ups than downs. I have every confidence that you will succeed and have the Fulham Faithful singing their hearts out on the banks of our lovely river Thames. Thank you for providing us all with hope for the future, and a legacy that we can all be proud of again.

keithh

Congratulations to Scott; looking forward to early considered decisions & top half finish. I'll stop taking the pills for the moment but will keep them in the medicine cabinet just in case.

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Cottage Industry on May 11, 2019, 03:28:50 PM
Cottage Industry
Congratulations Scott on achieving the Head Coach role at Fulham FFC. It is well deserved. In particular I have always liked the way you present yourself, because imo you typify how you wish to present Fulham FFC both on and off the pitch. The recent results have proved your point, with a vast improvement in attitude on the the field of play, together with a great response from the players to your training methods.
You have appointed worthy lieutenants whom appear to sing from the same song sheet and this augers well for the future.

You will of course have your ups and downs,but a great deal more ups than downs. I have every confidence that you will succeed and have the Fulham Faithful singing their hearts out on the banks of our lovely river Thames. Thank you for providing us all with hope for the future, and a legacy that we can all be proud of again.

Spot on.

sunburywhite

Frank Lampard has got Derby into the playoffs in his first season as a manager so why not Scotty?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

I Ronic

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 11, 2019, 06:58:54 PM
Frank Lampard has got Derby into the playoffs in his first season as a manager so why not Scotty?

I'd be gutted if Scotty got Derby into the playoffs next season. Unless that's pushing.them out of second on the final game of next season!

Nick Bateman

Quote from: I Ronic on May 11, 2019, 07:53:27 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on May 11, 2019, 06:58:54 PM

I'd be gutted if Scotty got Derby into the playoffs next season. Unless that's pushing.them out of second on the final game of next season!

Now that was Ironic.....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Logicalman

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on May 10, 2019, 02:26:23 PM
I'm happy for Scott that he gets the opportunity to manage at a club he's familiar with. He has earned this position by right.

I do however have mixed feelings about this because Tony Khan will probably still remain in his current role. Who knows if anything will change in terms of transfers??

Apologies if this comes across negative!

I echo these thoughts and concerns. On the positive side, I do wonder, however, whether TK will appreciate they now have a head coach who has Fulham in his heart and engage him more in player scouting and choice, which would be better for all, especially the club and fans.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 10:44:39 PM
Quote from: ealex40 on May 10, 2019, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on May 10, 2019, 08:07:01 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 02:57:51 PM
"Fulham Appoints Scott Parker As Head Coach"

Memo to club - here in the UK the name of a football team is treated as a plural so can we drop the yanky "s" on "appoints" please. May as well change "Head Coach" to "Tony Khan's PA" whilst you're at it.

"Fulham appoints" is simply bad grammar; even over here in the colonies. Your sense of superiority is neither accurate nor needed.

If Fulham, (the club), did the appointing then it is singular and not plural, so 'appoints' is correct.

What if it was Fulham (the team)?
Given "Fulham" can mean one club, 11 players, tens of thousands of fans or even a place, I suspect there are reasonable arguments both for treating it as plural, and for treating it as singular.
Two things about which we can have a much higher degree of certainty are:
1. In the UK (these days) it's conventional in contexts like this, to treat it as plural and say "appoint"   
2. In the US (which I'm guessing is where you are) it's conventional to treat it as singular and say "appoints"
Unless we're talking about some other Fulham who play their home matches in the US, we should be doing it the UK way.   

I always believed that Appoints is as per the third person, and as such, when a person, not being involved in the story itself, tells that story, they are in the third person, and so Appoints is the correct term to use.
Thus, the headline would be correct if it was the provided by a person not being either the club or Khan himself, therefore, if this is a club Press release it needs to be Appoint (as they are a character in the story) or if it was a statement by the OP, a news outlet or another club, then Appoints would be the correct term to use.

As an aside, please stop yank-baiting, this has nothing to do with UK or US language per se, but simply a misuse of the context.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Arthur

Quote from: Logicalman on May 12, 2019, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 10:44:39 PM
Quote from: ealex40 on May 10, 2019, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on May 10, 2019, 08:07:01 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 02:57:51 PM
"Fulham Appoints Scott Parker As Head Coach"

Memo to club - here in the UK the name of a football team is treated as a plural so can we drop the yanky "s" on "appoints" please. May as well change "Head Coach" to "Tony Khan's PA" whilst you're at it.

"Fulham appoints" is simply bad grammar; even over here in the colonies. Your sense of superiority is neither accurate nor needed.

If Fulham, (the club), did the appointing then it is singular and not plural, so 'appoints' is correct.

What if it was Fulham (the team)?
Given "Fulham" can mean one club, 11 players, tens of thousands of fans or even a place, I suspect there are reasonable arguments both for treating it as plural, and for treating it as singular.
Two things about which we can have a much higher degree of certainty are:
1. In the UK (these days) it's conventional in contexts like this, to treat it as plural and say "appoint"   
2. In the US (which I'm guessing is where you are) it's conventional to treat it as singular and say "appoints"
Unless we're talking about some other Fulham who play their home matches in the US, we should be doing it the UK way.   

I always believed that Appoints is as per the third person, and as such, when a person, not being involved in the story itself, tells that story, they are in the third person, and so Appoints is the correct term to use.
Thus, the headline would be correct if it was the provided by a person not being either the club or Khan himself, therefore, if this is a club Press release it needs to be Appoint (as they are a character in the story) or if it was a statement by the OP, a news outlet or another club, then Appoints would be the correct term to use.

As an aside, please stop yank-baiting, this has nothing to do with UK or US language per se, but simply a misuse of the context.

'John appoints a new doorman' is the correct form of the verb irrespective of who says it.

John, himself, would, of course, most likely say, 'I am appointing a new doorman'. But if he were to use the present simple tense, it would be, 'I appoint an new doorman'. There are, however, no circumstances in which 'John appoint a new doorman' is correct. (At least, not without a comma: 'John, appoint a new doorman'; this being a command, not a statement.)

The words 'club', 'team' and 'group' (of players) are all singular and, strictly speaking, should take the third-person singular form of any verb. So widespread and prolific, however, is the association of these words with 'players' that the use of the third-person plural has become acceptable in all but the most formal of announcements.

I agree with I Ronic when he says that that the appointment of Scott Parker now ought to give him enough time to sort out the grammar, syntax and punctuation within the Club before new players begin arriving. God forbid, we get the headline on the offal: 'Fulham sells Mitrovic'.

The Old Count

Quote from: Statto on May 12, 2019, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on May 12, 2019, 01:07:45 PM

The US and UK versions of English have diverged substantially, so I didn't think it unreasonable or "yank-baiting" to ask that UK spelling and conventions are used in press releases like this one. Evidently I was wrong and, in fact, poking a hornets' nest of posters who, despite being citizens of a leading global superpower, still have a massive inferiority complex vis-a-vis the British. To avoid offending anyone, going forward I'll use US English. I'll use words like "cleats" and "roster" instead of "boots" or "squad", and I'll also refer to our black players as "colored", which I understand is still a socially acceptable term in the US. I apologise - sorry I mean apologize - for upsetting people. 

That's put a wrench in the works!