watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to Start Building The Team

Started by filham, June 01, 2019, 11:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Well it is the 1st June and the new season starts early in August so if Parker is to have four weeks preparation with his new squad all ins and outs need to be sorted during June. We all know that this is unlikely to happen, more likely that we will be desperately looking for a key player or two on deadline day, but wouldn't it be reassuring to get it sorted early for once.

The priorities which have be been obvious for some time now are:-

1. Decide if Sess is leaving and if so sign replacement.

2. Decide if Mirovic is leaving and if so and sign replacement

3. Sign wide right replacement for Babel.

4. Sign a really good centre back .

The above four actions are essential as a minimum to take place in the next month if Parker is to have a good start to the season

Milo

Think main priorities are:

Right back
Winger

Then we can look at CB and a bonus second winger.

Obviously if Mitrovic leaves that places more priority on a CF.

SuffolkWhite

Add to that another Striker wven if Mitro does stay.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Roberty

Quote from: filham on June 01, 2019, 11:39:07 AM
Well it is the 1st June and the new season starts early in August so if Parker is to have four weeks preparation with his new squad all ins and outs need to be sorted during June. We all know that this is unlikely to happen, more likely that we will be desperately looking for a key player or two on deadline day, but wouldn't it be reassuring to get it sorted early for once.

I seem to remember that Balel played on the left and Sess switched to mostly play on the right
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

filham

Quote from: Roberty on June 01, 2019, 12:29:05 PM

I seem to remember that Balel played on the left and Sess switched to mostly play on the right
Yes Parker was working Babel and Sess. to maximum impact by interchanging them from time to time.
Babel has already left and it seems as if Sess is most likely to be of to Spurs, we will need good new signings for both wide positions without delay.

bill taylors apprentice

I have no confidence we will make the right kind of signings or in plenty of time to settle in before the season starts.

St Eve

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 01, 2019, 02:09:00 PM
I have no confidence we will make the right kind of signings or in plenty of time to settle in before the season starts.
based on what? Oh yes you are spot on

Twig

We may or may not make some decent signings this time. But I certainly have no confidence that we will get our business done quickly enough.

filham

Quote from: Twig on June 01, 2019, 02:33:22 PM
We may or may not make some decent signings this time. But I certainly have no confidence that we will get our business done quickly enough.
Surely  the Khans have learnt by now that a good start to the season is important and to achieve this a coach needs a full squad together well before the first match.

Just possible that a win for Spurs tonight will enable them to put in a sensible offer for Sess. and that will kick start our window.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

As with other clubs it may be a question of selling before we buy. we will need the money in for Mitro and Sess before we can close any deals which we may have in the pipeline and all of this takes time

Andy S

Exactly that. All clubs have to generate cash before they can make a bid very few have a wedge burning a hole. Everything takes time except Football manager

filham

Quote from: Andy S on June 01, 2019, 03:50:11 PM
Exactly that. All clubs have to generate cash before they can make a bid very few have a wedge burning a hole. Everything takes time except Football manager
We do have a parachute payment due, doesn't that enable us to take an initiative in buying a quality player before we sell.

toshes mate

The Club should have been pretty clued up about leavers, stayers and budgets when Parker was being asked about his ideas for rebuilding its reputation and reconnecting with supporters, and so there can be absolutely no excuses for late business transactions this time around. Of course there are always problem areas but the argument about selling before buying doesn't hold up to investigation.  You can always agree to a deal pending a suitable replacement being signed.  Of course that can end up like a long housing chain but it can also run much more smoothly too.

I have much higher expectations of FFC doing business effectively and on time than some others on here appear to have.  There will always be last minute deals in windows but they shouldn't always be the essential incoming requirements of FFC as has been the case in much of the Khan era.

Lyle from Hangeland

I don't disagree. Football is competitive. It's hard signing and integrating players. There are 43 other teams Fulham's got to out bid (PL and Championship teams)... not to mention all the other European 1st division clubs.

WindyCity

WindyCity

The priorities which have be been obvious for some time now are:-

1. Decide if Sess is leaving and if so sign replacement.

2. Decide if Mirovic is leaving and if so and sign replacement

4. Sign a really good centre back .

The above four actions are essential as a minimum to take place in the next month if Parker is to have a good start to the season

Don't get me wrong, I love Mitro.  He almost singlehandedly got FFC promoted.  Terrific in the box, strong, powerful presence, a fighter.  BUT, he is very slow, and almost negates any hopes of FFC having a game in "transition".  Babel will likely be gone.  His goal on a transition break, actually set up by Mitro, is a good example, and was probably one of the few if only transition goals all season.  Had everything been the same, but Mitro and Babel were in the opposite position, that goal would never have been scored, and a shot/attempt likely never made, because of Mitro's lack of speed/pace.  Even if Mitro stays with the club, FFC needs to get some players with pace, strikers or wingers.

R Sess.  Love this kid, he is still so young, great potential.  But he was exposed in the Prem.  Not really a factor, and, yes, CR probably deflated his confidence to a certain degree.  Nonetheless, if you look at the promotion season, many of Sess's goals were garbage picking, tap-ins on rebounds and such, being in right spot to make the score.  Now, nothing wrong with that at all, he has great instincts and knows where to be and anticipate.  It is a positive attribute.  But, if you really analyze him, he just didn't seem to be what you might call a pure goal scorer.  He has great instincts, and has made, both last season and this season, some great passes and assists.  Will never forget him releasing TC for the Wembley thriller.  Will be sad to see him leave FFC, and I wish him well where he lands, but I do think some more coaching and direction will reveal just what his overall potential is/can be.

Goal keeping.  I still think FFC need an upgrade here. 

#1 First priority is backline defense, this team will leak goals even in the Champ if the backline cannot be improved. 

#2 Next priority would be, as mentioned above, some pace/strikers/wingers.  (With or without Mitro.)

#3 And finally, the goal keeping needs an upgrade.

WindyCity

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 01, 2019, 04:52:58 PM

I don't disagree. Football is competitive. It's shard signing and integrating players. There are 43 other teams Fulham's got to out bid (PL and Championship teams)... not to mention all the other European 1st division clubs.

In spite of the competitive nature of this situation, FFC still needs to do a much better job of preparedness, and not rely on last minute signings and acquisitions that leave the club short on training heading into the first game.  This past season really highlighted poor management in this regard.  Need to avoid the last minute fire drill.  I'm sure many clubs, both in the Champ and the Prem, head into the start of a new season ready to go.  FFC should strive to be one of those teams.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WindyCity on June 01, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

I don't disagree. Football is competitive. It's shard signing and integrating players. There are 43 other teams Fulham's got to out bid (PL and Championship teams)... not to mention all the other European 1st division clubs.

In spite of the competitive nature of this situation, FFC still needs to do a much better job of preparedness, and not rely on last minute signings and acquisitions that leave the club short on training heading into the first game.  This past season really highlighted poor management in this regard.  Need to avoid the last minute fire drill.  I'm sure many clubs, both in the Champ and the Prem, head into the start of a new season ready to go.  FFC should strive to be one of those teams.

I'm quite sure FFC strives to be one of those teams. It really is easier said than done though. If it was so easy and was just a matter of want, FFC would be one of the greatest clubs to ever exist.

Twig

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 01, 2019, 05:49:50 PM

I'm quite sure FFC strives to be one of those teams. It really is easier said than done though. If it was so easy and was just a matter of want, FFC would be one of the greatest clubs to ever exist.

So you really think last summer's transfer window was unavoidable? Not ineptitude just more difficult than we all understand?  Sorry, I'm not buying that.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Twig on June 01, 2019, 05:58:33 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 01, 2019, 05:49:50 PM

So you really think last summer's transfer window was unavoidable? Not ineptitude just more difficult than we all understand?  Sorry, I'm not buying that.

You're having some kind of conversation with yourself. That's very clearly not an argument I've made or was selling to you.

I didn't say anything about ineptitude, but you have so let's talk about what it is you want to talk about --- FFC's ineptitude in last summer's transfer market. So you're saying FFC didn't strive or want to be successful in the transfer market last summer, but instead wanted to be inept? Striving to be successful and turning out to be inept at it are two different things. Sure FFC was a complete and total failure in the transfer market last summer... but that says nothing about FFC's desire or want to not be inept or fail. If was just a matter of striving and want, FFC might would have had a decent chance to win the league, but sadly it's not just a matter of striving and want.

It's just asinine to think they aren't striving to be successful, because they failed. Failure isn't evidence of not striving.