Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: FFCAli on October 06, 2019, 06:55:06 PM
Quote from: filham on October 06, 2019, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: MJG on October 06, 2019, 05:48:03 PM
Quote from: Riversider on October 06, 2019, 04:39:35 PM
Can somebody answer a question for me, looking at a picture of the new stand in the brochure they sent out with the season ticket applications,  it struck me that there doesn't appear to be any pitch facing hospitality boxes going across the width of the stand, is that correct ?
Surely it's my mistake as that must be where all the big money is at any football ground.
its telling that there isn't and I'm led to believe that comes from Khan in his belief that the real money is made within and on the other side of the stand and he wanted seats instead of boxes facing the pitch.
He must think the toffs would rather sit and view the river than watch football.

He could well be right.  At Wimbledon and Queen's the hosts are surprised if a guest expresses a desire to watch the tennis.

You're right.
in mid 1980's I worked with as company who specialized in corporate hospitality
We had a hospitality tent or facilities at all of the major sports events
It was amazing how many corporate guests stayed in the 'facility' sipping champagne and
showing no interest in what was going on.
I well remember when Charlie Passarell was playing Pancho Gonzalez in what was then the longest
match ever played and our clients guests guzzled the shampoo and ate the food with no interest in the game.
Our clients paid a fortune to be there and the business that was done underneath the TV sets in the tents
was amazing.
That was then .....................
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Fernhurst

Agreed would be good to see. Was at the opening game against Benfica,(??) still have the ticket somewhere

I was also privileged attend both first and last games in The Riverside.

Would love to see the construction pics from the late 60's.
If spared my ambition is to be at opening of The Khan Family Stand.
1500.gif Wonder how much it will cost  1500.gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

deadcowboys

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 08, 2019, 12:28:35 PM
Agreed would be good to see. Was at the opening game against Benfica,(??) still have the ticket somewhere

I was also privileged attend both first and last games in The Riverside.

Would love to see the construction pics from the late 60's.
If spared my ambition is to be at opening of The Khan Family Stand.
1500.gif Wonder how much it will cost  1500.gif

All your pension & more I suspect!

Fernhurst

All your pension & more I suspect!

I am started to save now Now Cowboy!!
Possibly my only visit to The New Riverside assuming there  are tickets to be had!!
The prawn munchers and their clients from the city will love the new place.

No place for the coal man who used to attend straight off his round covered in coal dust, complete with leather skull cap and apron down his back.

Those were the days......if I can see it once I'll be happy.

deadcowboys

I'm sure there will be a place for such a coal man Fernhurst, however, I do wonder where he would leave the horse & cart with current parking restrictions. Maybe the man who used to meander up & down Stevenage road selling bags of monkey nuts would hold onto the horse for him.

mrmicawbers

I would like to think when the new stand opensthey would offer an upgrade for season ticket holders to take in the experience.Would allow the seats the season ticket holders are relinquishing to be sold off.This is assuming we are back in the top flight.We have done this previously.

LBNo11

To compliment this thread I have put together a few vintage photos of the Riverside/Thamesbank before, and during the building of the Riverside stand now being demolished. The first photo is of the Riverside/Thamesbank terrace taken from the Putney end taken shortly after world war II. You can see the terrace being cleaned up after 5 years of nature taking over...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

BestOfBrede

deadcowboys

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 08, 2019, 05:47:33 PM
It's been a while, can you confirm you can see this please?

Reminds me a bit of Loftus Road.

f321ffc

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 08, 2019, 06:28:40 PM
I can see it LBNo11
Saw us play at Halifax many years ago, it was much worse than this.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Fernhurst

Blimey Fulham, surely we could afford more than three men to demolish & rebuilt?

Thank you for the pic Les.

LBNo11

This 2nd photo is of the Riverside/Thamesbank terrace taken from the Stevenage Road stand with the overgrown Hammersmith terrace on the right:- 

LBNo11

...the third photo is of the Riverside/Thamesbank terrace, taken from teh Putney end, shortly after the clean up..:-

LBNo11

...this 4th photo is facing the Riverside, taken from the Stevenage Road stand, with the Hammersmith end tearrace on the right, shortly after the clean up

More to follow...

bobby01

Impressed in the before after pictures,, good work by three fellas.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Jim©

Thanks LB, love these sort of images. As said, those 3 fellas earned their corn. Probably players too (as was the way) doing an 8 hr shift after training.

filham

Thanks for those old pictures, brought back early memories of when you could change ends at half time.

Carborundum

Loving these photos, thanks for sharing.

Funny how perspectives change as I mellow with age.  As a young man I stood on a weed infested Putney End thinking the weeds were, well, a bit of an eyesore.  These days I marvel at the speed with which nature can take over absolutely anything.  This summer we pressure washed the front drive and re-sanded the gaps. Yep, those weeds are back already.  It's probably fair to say that my mellow reaction to this isn't unanimously shared.

Probably not the right forum to canvas views on an embryonic campaign to replace the rose as our national flower with Network Rail Buddleia.

Dodgin

That third rail back on the corner of the Putney end had my fingerprints.

Friendsoffulham

From Robert Wood on Twitter @robertW1948

1971/72 programmes gave updates on the New Stand and an explanation that the £250,000 cost wouldn't stop our spending on players