watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyTund

Wait until the roof is actually finished. I think it's part of the reason the design changed

shepperton white

Just a shame the late TT didn't take the chance to buy that plot of land where the flats are - we could have built our own 50 or 60 K all seater.  That would have really pissed off the local nimbies

mrmicawbers

Quote from: shepperton white on December 08, 2020, 11:38:37 AM
Just a shame the late TT didn't take the chance to buy that plot of land where the flats are - we could have built our own 50 or 60 K all seater.  That would have really pissed off the local nimbies
Reckon if we put new stands at Putney and Hammersmith we could maybe get up to the 35,000 plus which would be enough for us.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 06, 2020, 11:19:59 AM
Looking again it looks like the apartment aspect of the stand
In reply to myself lol.If I ha 've counted the stanchions correctly still more of the stand to go up at either end before the apartments go in.

SG

Quote from: Holders on December 08, 2020, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: SouthIslandWhite on December 07, 2020, 05:32:14 PM
These photos are dramatic. I did not realize that the skyline would change this much. Not sure that I like it frankly.  Changes the whole neighbourhood.

Yes, it does but it really sets off the traditional façade from that view. Surprisingly nice, I thought.

I love the old facade - every time I walk past it I look up in admiration at some of the many unique features.
What a ground. Can't wait to get back there

RoyTund

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 08, 2020, 01:24:56 PM
In reply to myself lol.If I ha 've counted the stanchions correctly still more of the stand to go up at either end before the apartments go in.

Correct. I think the Putney side will go up a lot later than the rest as that is the main land site access

fcfulham55

Quote from: RoyTund on December 08, 2020, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 08, 2020, 01:24:56 PM

I was told by a project engineer, that we're in the process of designing the other 3 stands.  Putney, then Johnny Haynes + Hammersmith at the same time..  And with the corner filled in between Hammy end and Johnny Haynes stand adding 2200 seats alone.  There will also be a new roof on all 3 stands, so no support pillars.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

SP

Exciting times indeed if that's correct FCF55.

fcfulham55

Quote from: SP on December 08, 2020, 08:07:29 PM

I'd like to be, don't quote me on this but we should
hear about it more next year.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 08, 2020, 08:08:54 PM

Not going to be easy to do the Johnny Haynes. Listed building so Fulham would have to work with English Heritage. I know in Fayeds original scheme only the facade remained but I think? In later years the whole stand & Cottage are now listed ?
I heard there was some talk about putting a roof level of boxes/seats with a lounge at the back. The concourse is incredibly crowded as it is, it wasn't designed for thousands of people to go down & eat & drink. When it was built I'm guessing most stayed in their spot at halftime

mrmicawbers

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on December 08, 2020, 08:46:58 PM

Not going to be easy to do the Johnny Haynes. Listed building so Fulham would have to work with English Heritage. I know in Fayeds original scheme only the facade remained but I think? In later years the whole stand & Cottage are now listed ?
I heard there was some talk about putting a roof level of boxes/seats with a lounge at the back. The concourse is incredibly crowded as it is, it wasn't designed for thousands of people to go down & eat & drink. When it was built I'm guessing most stayed in their spot at halftime
I would assume you can do what you like with the inside of J H providing the facade not messed with God forbid.Could they maybe do what Rangers have with raising the roof there only better?

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 08, 2020, 09:12:31 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on December 08, 2020, 08:46:58 PM

I would assume you can do what you like with the inside of J H providing the facade not messed with God forbid.Could they maybe do what Rangers have with raising the roof there only better?

Rangers main stand was originally twice the size of the Stevenage Road. With the club deck it now holds 21,000. They have a lot more room to play with & added two art deco wings for access. When they built the new addition it had to be completely different, they couldn't just do something in the old red brick Leitch style. It had to show contrast between the old & new
I've got mixed feelings about it. The JH is currently the best preserved Leitch stand left in Britain, I'm not really comfortable with adding to it. Rangers modernization of the old classic main stand has been universally praised but think it's a little sad tbh. Having said that I think if we are to have a ground that's not completely lopsided & offering modern facilities & convenience's it's inevitable that we'll have to look to do something with the JH.
It's a classic ,iconic football stand but as Simon Inglis once ruefully wrote about the ground in the 80s when the Cottage was being lined up to be demolished for a 4000 seater Putney end. There is no preservation only progress

Kimbleman

They can do anything they like to the Putney and Hammy ends, they can fill the corner in too, but in my opinion to touch anything else with the JH stand and cottage....other than sympathetic restoration where needed would be sacralidge in my mind. I love the idea that many thousands of backsides have sat in the wooden seats over the years, love the way the stairway treads going up to the stand are worn away in the centres, it's querky, it's old and it's what makes me love to drive back into town from Bucks with my eldest brain-washed daughter to see our team play. So I'll go brand new for 70% of it but leave the listed parts well alone.

alfie

I must be the only Fulham supporter that thinks the JH stand is ugly, in saying that I really love its history and what it means to club/supporters, but I think it's an eyesore. Sorry but that's life.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

_Putney_

Quote from: alfie on December 09, 2020, 10:17:21 AM
I must be the only Fulham supporter that thinks the JH stand is ugly, in saying that I really love its history and what it means to club/supporters, but I think it's an eyesore. Sorry but that's life.

Why apologise?

alfie

Quote from: _Putney_ on December 09, 2020, 10:25:53 AM

Why apologise?
I don't know really, just seemed the right thing to do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fcfulham55

Nope I think it looks embarrassing to be in the Premier League with a stand like the JH.   Keep the external facade, perhaps 're use the wooden seats, but the roof and all those pillars don't fit in modern times.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

_Putney_

Why keep the external facade? Doesn't fit with modern times in my opinion.

KJS

Quote from: _Putney_ on December 09, 2020, 12:59:22 PM

I believe its lusted

fcfulham55

Quote from: KJS on December 09, 2020, 01:05:02 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on December 09, 2020, 12:59:22 PM

I believe its lusted

And I think it's Listed.
Sent from my Nokia 3310