https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pod interview with Tony Khan

Started by Jonnoj, June 24, 2019, 08:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 26, 2019, 01:21:17 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 01:11:41 PM
Look, I heard the whole thing and but for his surname the man would be gone.
He didn't explain rico and fabri? If his stats based points based approach was any good those guys wouldn't have even been considered
Mawsom, signed injured and remained injured
Bryan, immediately injured suggesting he was signed injured
seri and anguissa, less said about that total waste of money
schurrle? a very poor addition, skillful but know for not beeing a proper team player
Christie was already sub standard and we did not get a proper right back

All of that was enough to get him the sack anywhere else. He was the reason we went down, him alone, it was obvious in August and certain in september that his incompetence sabotaged and took the pleasure out of last season. We never slightly looked like we would make a fight of it. A more enlightened and experienced transfer policy at half the price would have seen us survive. The bloke spent an hour in such a terrible state of denial, with clearly no idea about what to do for success this season. I remain in a stste of heightened pessimism for the season. i do not think we will be anywhere in contention for anything except a bottom half finish, most likely bottom six or eight. He gives me zero confidence.

Not really the point here, but I thought Rico looked ok. Don't know how anyone can reallt judge Fabri one way or another. The question is of course why both? Further, he did address the right back position with TFM, who should have been good enough for a bottom half PL team. Also, Mawson didn't remain injured as far as we know, but got injured again. Think that Seri would have been decent in a better team, but didn't really seem up for the fight. Anguissa looked pretty good once he got a proper chance to get used to the team. Just to temper the hyperbole a little bit. I don't think TK had such a bad window as some try to make it out. He didn't have a very good one either unfortunately, which we would have needed.

And of course he was not the sole reason. Many players massively under performed. All managers (well maybe not SP given the circumstances), but both Slav and Ranieri did almost nothing right. I agree that TK (or maybe really SK) should bear the most blame, but it takes many people to make such a bad season.

I am copntent to agree to disagree on certain points. It is just that it seemed to me, no matter what he said in the interview the late arrival of players was a big factor and the wrong players to boot. The money could and should have been better spent and slavis should have been the front runner in selecton. TK clearly said they did not agree. IMO TK was the fundamental impediment to success that would have been striaght forward if we had a oproper experienced person in charge... that opinion is not changed from hearing what he said.

Re rico. I thought he was awful. A good shot stopper but his angles were poor and his inability to catch the ball ridiculousmin the english game..but I was pleased for him when he had a couple of more impressive displays near the end of the season.

ALG01

Quote from: wormbridge on June 26, 2019, 02:16:29 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 26, 2019, 02:01:34 PM
Thought the interview was fascinating and informative. Tony Khan came over very well and was as frustrated as the fans at our failure last season which he takes the responsibility for as far as his role went. We have been very good at blaming people when things don't work out while others are treated as saintly. We all share the frustration but to then go on to say would Tony Khan have the job if his Dad wasn't a Millionaire is like saying would his Dad be an owner if he wasn't a millionaire. Makes no sense. Before Tony Khan we blamed Mackintosh. We seem to need a pantomime villain.  Fact is we failed last season because the recruitment was poor, the tactics were poor, the players were poor and some of the fans were quick to turn on the team and each other.

Life doesn't always work out and it is always somebody's fault. But it doesn't mean it was their fault  alone. It seems the modern way of seeing things in politics or sport or Films. We have to have a Black and White answer and not everything is Black and White except the strip Fulham play in. Even that varies.

well said!

I have tought our approach to purchasing has been worse than third rate since the Khan's arrived. Based on misguided principles. TK who says it is his responsibility fouled up in each of thelast three seasons but more by luck and slav's brilliance we got over te line, but watching £100M flushed away was a negligent crime. Regardingg MackIntosh, he should have left the club years ago. In any other business the CEO would have been released for overseeing such incompetence and allowing it without taking action.

We continue to sign injured players who remain injured and buy players that are inappropriate. Our defence, or lack thereof last season was a disgrace. On this board in the close season we all, more or less agreed what we did nweed in terms of new blood, but that is not what we got. I am astonished anyone thionks I am picking on TK because we were relegated. I never thought he was any good and have always said so, Mr multiple signings and his, whatever it takes father, really need to get high paid professionals to run the team affairs properly.

AnOldBrownie

Can someone tell me the exact starting date of TK as director of football?

I think we all agree that he's inexperienced.

I think we can also agree that he shouldn't buy injured players...which he's done too often in the past.

He's made mistakes...yes.   

He also signed Mitrovic (as he stated in the interview)
He also extended Sess and his brothers contract
He also offered Slav an extension of his contract prior to the team getting promoted (can someone confirm this please)
He signed Ryan Babel who NO ONE on this forum would have picked (it was also obvious that in addition to having a horrible defense...Fulham needed someone besides Mitro and Schurrle scoring goals) and Ryan was arguably one of the best...if not the best player on Fulham's side for the last 10 games.

Now...I'm about to bring up someone that I KNOW I'm going to get a lot of slack for... but Tony Khan brought in Timothy Fosu Mensah on loan as a young, aggressive FB (I think he was 20 when he came to Fulham) who would have started more games at RB for Crystal Palace except he was unseated by the player that just got 50 million from Manchester United to be their starting RB.

And it has been posted several places on the internet...and myself before those post...Timothy Fosu Mensah was one of the few available right backs with EPL experience that was just as fast as Ryan Fredericks.   And he'd played some really good games against the likes of Manchester City and Tottenham (before he'd turned 20)

Yes...last minute acquisition...but Tony Khan did his best to try and find a Ryan Fredericks replacement knowing full well that Cyrus Christie wasn't good enough.

He also brought in Chambers.

That's Mawson, Chambers and Timbo...who...based on their stats and some of the eyeball test...were good additions to a promoted championship side.

It failed miserably. 

He knows it failed miserably. 

The true test will be how long it takes for TK to learn from his mistakes and for Fulham to come back up.   

I'll take the Khans as a pair before I give up on the two of them for an owner I don't know and a DOF that has more experience.

That might not be the case in 3 years, but for right now I'm ok with Tony Khan learning on the job.

wheelerdeeler

By all accounts Tony Khan took over transfers fully in the summer of 2016. So every signing from Floyd Ayite onwards is "his".

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 26, 2019, 06:25:46 PM
By all accounts Tony Khan took over transfers fully in the summer of 2016. So every signing from Floyd Ayite onwards is "his".

Thanks

Lot's of ins and outs.  Hits and misses.

Learning on the job...helped get the team promoted.   He had to ok any of the new additions that helped get the team promoted...

I'm done slagging him off until I see how he handles adversity.

The Rock

So, Tony Khan costs the club nothing and you get what you pay for, thanks for clearing this up.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 26, 2019, 06:25:46 PM

Here's our spending versus points tally in every season since then, compared to our peers (the other six clubs closest to our final league position)

Is Tony Khan the antichrist? No
Is he a horrible person? No (albeit he comes across as arrogant, egotistical and naive IMO)
Are we worse than every other football club in the entire football league every season? No

Do we consistently perform poorly compared to most of our peer clubs? Yes

Also probably worth noting that of the clubs below us in these tables, Norwich and Middlesbrough both changed their head of recruitment at the end of the season in question

The Enclosurite

Never been a massive fan of Tony Khan but I enjoyed the interview and the one thing that I have taken from it is that we really do need him in his position as he has a lot more influence over Shahid Khan than any other Director of Football would have.  It sounds like, if he wants something he gets it and that can only be a good thing.

He's certainly bought some time with me in this interview. Roll on August, we can all begin judging him again then.   049:gif COYW
¡COYW!

The Rock

He's just is in over his head. I run a business, it's not small and I made it. He runs the jags, our recruitment, and 5 other businesses. He can't do it. He should do better or hire me. Or you. I know more than he does about this club. I more just wish anyone of us could teach him.

The best in the biz leave their ego at the door Tony Khan.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 12:38:58 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 25, 2019, 03:40:31 PM

I believe Tony Khan has the ability to source money from Fulham's owner better than other DoF. The ability to source money is Best Prediictor of DoF success. Even if Shahid Khan wasn't the owner, I have little doubt about Tony Khan's ability to source money probable from his family.

So let me try a question. assume TK's dad was broke, i.e. has no vast cash reserve... would TK be a good DoF based on his track record?

Maybe, if Fulham's owner was broke, we would have to employ the cheapest DoF in world football, which is Tony Khan. More seriously of course, Tony Khan is DoF because of his access to his dads money so what. Privellege goes to rich sons that is not a secret, I doubt David Cameron and Boris Johnson would have been Prime Ministers, if their rich parents sent them to the poshiest school in the world (i.e Eton College).

..FOF..

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 26, 2019, 06:15:54 PM

This one info here I heard from the podcast means EVERYTHING Tony said should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yes, it is true that he signed him because all players signature for commitment have to finally go through him.

Although, Joka did tell the famous story of how he have;

* to get on Snapchat to touch base with Mitro

* worked hard in convincing the board before the signing and

* worked hard with Mitro after the signing to make sure his attitude is kept in check

Full story here >> https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=63694.0

Usually stories can change after someone left an organisation or this world.... nobody refute this story while Joka was still around in Fulham:)

wheelerdeeler

I don't think Tony Khan said anything that contradicts that? He basically said things to the effect of he was involved in the Mitrovic deal in the sense that he was the one who sanctioned the deal and convinced Shahid Khan to give Mitrovic whatever his wages were which were the biggest we'd ever offered in the Championship. He specifically mentioned "prior relationships" in regard to the Mitrovic deal which is pretty clearly the Jokanovic side of the deal.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on June 27, 2019, 01:59:49 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 26, 2019, 06:15:54 PM

This one info here I heard from the podcast means EVERYTHING Tony said should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yes, it is true that he signed him because all players signature for commitment have to finally go through him.

Although, Joka did tell the famous story of how he have;

* to get on Snapchat to touch base with Mitro

* worked hard in convincing the board before the signing and

* worked hard with Mitro after the signing to make sure his attitude is kept in check

Full story here >> https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=63694.0

Usually stories can change after someone left an organisation or this world.... nobody refute this story while Joka was still around in Fulham:)

The only point of disagreement between Slavisa's story and Tony Khan's story is who convinced the board. And, no one seems to dispute that Tony Khan was the first member of the board to be convinced to loan Mitrovoic and so surely both of them were trying to convince all the board members to loan Mitrovoic.

If Slavisa convinced Mitrovoic and Tony Khan, then Tony Khan convinced the rest of the board, then they are both telling the truth.

colinwhite

Tony khan is the owners son ,who is taking responsibility for his fathers money and investment . Get used to it . At least he seems to love the club and has the intention to fix things. It could be so much worse ,so get behind the club and Tony khan because he is going nowhere .All the negativity and moaning is just a waste of time,which  has been extremely boring for quite some time.

Twig

Quote from: colinwhite on June 27, 2019, 05:51:27 AM
Tony khan is the owners son ,who is taking responsibility for his fathers money and investment . Get used to it . At least he seems to love the club and has the intention to fix things. It could be so much worse ,so get behind the club and Tony khan because he is going nowhere .All the negativity and moaning is just a waste of time,which  has been extremely boring for quite some time.

I have to admit that I have found non comments from sycophants like you to be utterly boring.

Statto

At least he seems to love the club

What is this view based on?
I'm sure he loves himself, and wants to succeed in his job
But what evidence is there of an altruistic love for the club?
In other words, what has he ever done that serves the club's interests but not his own?

Dr Quinzel

Found it in me to listen. I feel worse than before. Arrogant and naïve don't make a good mixture.

Just washed over the multiple jobs aspect as though it hasn't already affected us. I wish the interviewers had been allowed free reign, or had been able to make logical retorts on many of his points where he evidenced his naivety, but appreciate they'd never have got the interview if they had done so.

I imagine a lot of people will think even less of him now, and the fanboys will continue to live with their blinkers on.

Dr Quinzel

Doesn't love the club when there's college footballers to watch in Mobile, or the NFL draft party to be at in Tennessee, or a bloody wrestling event to attend in the States (NERD ALERT).

'Get used to it'. This is how fans end up with their clubs being run improperly. Hate this pathetic way of thinking.

toshes mate

I get the feeling from reading through the comments that a lot of you guys have not actually listened to the interview.  You heard it for sure, but listened to it, that is a completely different story.

Nero

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on June 27, 2019, 08:50:56 AM
Found it in me to listen. I feel worse than before. Arrogant and naïve don't make a good mixture.

Just washed over the multiple jobs aspect as though it hasn't already affected us. I wish the interviewers had been allowed free reign, or had been able to make logical retorts on many of his points where he evidenced his naivety, but appreciate they'd never have got the interview if they had done so.

I imagine a lot of people will think even less of him now, and the fanboys will continue to live with their blinkers on.

But most of these jobs are the same analytics once the base programs are built its just feeding in info and looking at the result many a business person will sit on the broad of Directors of many companies and not have to be fully hands on. I doubt TK inputs all the data himself he will just look at the results at the end