more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for Millwall?

Started by Facts Not Fiction, August 20, 2019, 08:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

A quote from Scotty via FFCTV - Parker's Millwall Preview;

"All good yeah,  Dennis, Dennis Odoi probably the only one still struggling a bit at the moment.  Trying to get over a bit of a knee issue." 

1163848159363260417[/tweet]?s=20]?s=20[/url]

Guessing that means Steven for tomorrow. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2019, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2019, 11:41:01 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on August 20, 2019, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2019, 11:27:30 AM
Quote from: filham on August 20, 2019, 10:23:46 AM
Same again surely. Yes it would be nice to rest Mawson, Cairney and Mitro for Saturday but that would risk dropping 3 points.
Start with the best team then consider resting players by substitutions at half time if we have a two goal lead.

Well, if we play Mawson every game he'll be injured for several weeks before we play WBA. MLM and Ream are available they can be our CBs, if MLM doesn't play now he'll be playing when Mawson is injuried anyway.

Why?

Injury risk increases with decreased recovery time; my impression is Mawson has a high risk of getting injuried again and a week break between games is ideal. If we have a full strength backline best to rest Mawson to maximise his games per season. I am no expert on injuries, but Mawson looks very fragile.

But IIRC correctly you said recently that you never thought getting another CB in was should be a priority this summer. Surely if Mawson is such a liability (in your opinion) we should have prioritised a backup CB over additional midfielders for the u23s

Good Point, but i like MLM (and Odoi) as a right sided centre back, frankly at MLM played well as a CB nearly every game against teams Everton and below (he was terrible against ManUtd and may struggle against Leeds and WBA sometimes), but he is just behind Ream in quality defenders.

I Ronic

Quote from: love4ffc on August 20, 2019, 06:56:07 PM
A quote from Scotty via FFCTV - Parker's Millwall Preview;

"All good yeah,  Dennis, Dennis Odoi probably the only one still struggling a bit at the moment.  Trying to get over a bit of a knee issue." 

1163848159363260417[/tweet]?s=20]?s=20[/url]

Guessing that means Steven for tomorrow.

Found the rest of SP's interview really interesting. His take on possession football and how he's getting that across to players was enlighting.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2019, 06:23:54 AM
Same again surely. Yes it would be nice to rest Mawson, Cairney and Mitro for Saturday but that would risk dropping 3 points.
Start with the best team then consider resting players by substitutions at half time if we have a two goal lead.

Well, if we play Mawson every game he'll be injured for several weeks before we play WBA. MLM and Ream are available they can be our CBs, if MLM doesn't play now he'll be playing when Mawson is injuried anyway.

Why?

Injury risk increases with decreased recovery time; my impression is Mawson has a high risk of getting injuried again and a week break between games is ideal. If we have a full strength backline best to rest Mawson to maximise his games per season. I am no expert on injuries, but Mawson looks very fragile.

But IIRC correctly you said recently that you never thought getting another CB in was should be a priority this summer. Surely if Mawson is such a liability (in your opinion) we should have prioritised a backup CB over additional midfielders for the u23s

Good Point, but i like MLM (and Odoi) as a right sided centre back, frankly at MLM played well as a CB nearly every game against teams Everton and below (he was terrible against ManUtd and may struggle against Leeds and WBA sometimes), but he is just behind Ream in quality defenders.

Shame MLM cannot tackle a boiled egg, as defenders are required to do.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Why?

So in your estimation we leave Mawson out because you want to rap him up in cotton wool.
What happens if we drop points v Millwall because of issues in defence as Mawson is not there. We need to beat Millwall first then worry about Forest. We need Alfie Mawson to handle Matt Smith, and even double up on Smith with somebody standing in front of Smith at set pieces.
I am sure I remember you mentioning before that we didn't even need another CB, I think you will find out during the season that we will need all hands on deck. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

copthornemike

In view of Millwall's aerial threat would be tempted to start with Cyrus for his physical attributes as much as anything else- otherwise don't change a winning team.

twang

I'd actually go with KMac for this specific game to get a more physical presence to help the central defenders out against Matt Smith and co. Arter takes the box to box role. Other than that it's as you were.

Bettinelli
Sessegnon - Mawson - Ream - Bryan
Arter - McDonald - Cairney
Knockaert - Mitrovic - Cavaleiro

Bench: Rodak, Christie, Le Marchand, Reed, Johansen, Reid & Kamara

ByTheRiver

Quote from: copthornemike on August 21, 2019, 01:29:51 PM
In view of Millwall's aerial threat would be tempted to start with Cyrus for his physical attributes as much as anything else- otherwise don't change a winning team.

Whilst I do see your point and additional aerial ability in the box could be useful, what about his other attributes as in, you know, actually playing football?

I fear the latter outweighs the former, unfortunately...

ByTheRiver

Quote from: twang on August 21, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
I'd actually go with KMac for this specific game to get a more physical presence to help the central defenders out against Matt Smith and co. Arter takes the box to box role. Other than that it's as you were.

Bettinelli

We have only allowed one shot on target in the last 185 mins of football. This is due, in part (a fairly large part), to Arter sitting in front of the back four and screening them like nobody's business. I would much rather he was left where he is.

Facts Not Fiction

Bettinelli

McDonald will be completely overrun IMO. Its a shame, but atm, he has no natural place in our system. Arter has been night and day compared to McDonald vs Barnsley.

twang

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 21, 2019, 01:53:54 PM

Bettinelli

We have only allowed one shot on target in the last 185 mins of football. This is due, in part (a fairly large part), to Arter sitting in front of the back four and screening them like nobody's business. I would much rather he was left where he is.

That's fair and I agree that Arter has been brilliant in his two games for us. But I believe that Millwall will present a different kind of threat than the majority of teams will and therefore another skillset could be be required.

Jim©

If anything, Millwall will be more like Barnsley than either team we've faced since. They'll press high against our dodgy play out from the back tactics (well they're not dodgy as everyone is doing it) and fly into Arter I'd imagine. Ride the first 20 minute storm and we'll be comfortable I reckon.

Finnans Right Peg

Would start with reed.  Over stef jo just for more pace in the midfield think stef jo could be over run in this game

Statto

Only change I'd have possibly suggested (Odoi for Sessegnon) looks off the cards given Odoi isn't 100%. I reckon  it will be the same line-up as it was on Friday.

Tabby

Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2019, 06:14:51 PM
Only change I'd have possibly suggested (Odoi for Sessegnon) looks off the cards given Odoi isn't 100%. I reckon  it will be the same line-up as it was on Friday.

You were right. Same starters and same bench as Friday.

davew

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on August 21, 2019, 02:33:49 PM

Bettinelli

McDonald will be completely overrun IMO. Its a shame, but atm, he has no natural place in our system. Arter has been night and day compared to McDonald vs Barnsley.
Arter did not play well in the last match but he should be in the starting 11 tonight.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

I Ronic

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 21, 2019, 08:13:00 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2019, 06:23:54 AM

Why?

Shame MLM cannot tackle a boiled egg, as defenders are required to do.

I've been through all my old copies of "Roy of the Rovers" and never once did he have to tackle a boiled egg!