Started by Facts Not Fiction, August 20, 2019, 08:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

Rodak

Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan

Johansen Arter Cairney

Knockaert Mitrovic Cavaleiro

Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Le Marchand, McDonald, Reed, Reid, Ayite

Millwall will no doubt try and score via set pieces, so Odoi in for Sessegnon as more aerial cover.

The Rational Fan

Maybe we should rest Mawson to protect his body, last time he played three times in a week his knee broke during the third game tieing his shoe laces. Save Mawson for Forest, Cardiff and WBA.

Jim©

Slightly concerned that Sess' confidence would be damaged by being dropped (presumably) as soon as Denis is fit? I think the rest of the team more or less picks itself.
I was expecting Stefan to continue on a bit of a downward trend, but I thought he was excellent v Hudds and fully deserves to keep his place.
Betts I do get nervy with and I'd quite like to see Rodak. However confidence is pretty key with GKs so he's done little wrong thus far.
Where do we find space for Reid, Reed, Onomah, AK, KMac, Neeskens, Floyd? Good issues to have...

Roberty

It's the beginning of the season, so fatigue can't be an issue and the team needs to find a natural rhythm to take it onwards and upwards so I doubt there will be any changes for either Milwall or Forest. Quite possibly Odoi is going to have to wait just as Kalas did after his injury

We have a midweek cup fixture next week when players can be rested and the back-ups given some game time
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Statto

Bettinelli

Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan

Johansen Arter Cairney

Agree with the OP regarding Sessegnon/Odoi and also we don't want to overexpose Sessegnon. After winning MotM last match there'll be pressure on him to repeat that if he plays, and it just isn't realistic. Needs to be brought in gradually like his brother was.

Haven't seen enough to Rodak to compare him to Bettinelli but there's no way Parker will drop Bettinelli tonight anyway.

General

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2019, 09:49:00 AM
Bettinelli

Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan

Johansen Arter Cairney

Agree with the OP regarding Sessegnon/Odoi and also we don't want to overexpose Sessegnon. After winning MotM last match there'll be pressure on him to repeat that if he plays, and it just isn't realistic. Needs to be brought in gradually like his brother was.

Haven't seen enough to Rodak to compare him to Bettinelli but there's no way Parker will drop Bettinelli tonight anyway.

I'm not putting pressure on Steve sessegnon to be motm again.. don't get that argument as being a legitimate reason to not play him if he's good and fit. Mawson shouldn't be rested either - this is  a game against a physical team. Matt Smith needs someone physical to control him.

snarks

Blimey Statto had to double check the date of the game after your post, I was panicking that I'd planned going a day late, but it says tomorrow on the offal

filham

Same again surely. Yes it would be nice to rest Mawson, Cairney and Mitro for Saturday but that would risk dropping 3 points.
Start with the best team then consider resting players by substitutions at half time if we have a two goal lead.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on August 20, 2019, 10:23:46 AM
Same again surely. Yes it would be nice to rest Mawson, Cairney and Mitro for Saturday but that would risk dropping 3 points.
Start with the best team then consider resting players by substitutions at half time if we have a two goal lead.

Well, if we play Mawson every game he'll be injured for several weeks before we play WBA. MLM and Ream are available they can be our CBs, if MLM doesn't play now he'll be playing when Mawson is injuried anyway.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2019, 11:27:30 AM

Well, if we play Mawson every game he'll be injured for several weeks before we play WBA. MLM and Ream are available they can be our CBs, if MLM doesn't play now he'll be playing when Mawson is injuried anyway.

Why?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 20, 2019, 11:33:35 AM

Why?

Injury risk increases with decreased recovery time; my impression is Mawson has a high risk of getting injuried again and a week break between games is ideal. If we have a full strength backline best to rest Mawson to maximise his games per season. I am no expert on injuries, but Mawson looks very fragile.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2019, 11:41:01 AM

Why?

Injury risk increases with decreased recovery time; my impression is Mawson has a high risk of getting injuried again and a week break between games is ideal. If we have a full strength backline best to rest Mawson to maximise his games per season. I am no expert on injuries, but Mawson looks very fragile.

Thankfully the club does employ people who are experts, and thus if they feel that there is no increased risk of injury for him I am fine with that. In general I do not want to see changes, especially not with the very crucial CB pairing. I also agree with above posters that fatigue should be a non-issue at this point of the season. Rest some first teamers for the cup game.

GJB

People have been crying out for a new RB and then as soon as one arrives (Sessegnon) showing he's capable to fit in our team with a MOTM performance, he's then called to be rested?

There's no pressure for him to be MOTM every game just because he's started in that fashion - we just need solid performances from him, which are more likely when his confidence is up. I agree with a previous poster that dropping him after last week's performance will knock his confidence and confuse him as to what he has to achieve to warrant him keeping his place within our team in the future.

Also, for two seasons now Odoi has barely played at RB so I'm not sure about returning him back into that position - I'd rather give Steve the opportunity to show his worth and for Parker to tell him it's his position to lose.

Don't change a winning team - go with the in-form players IMO.

bog

Odoi for Sess? No thanks.

092.gif 

Chutney

Quote from: Jim© on August 20, 2019, 09:28:06 AM
Slightly concerned that Sess' confidence would be damaged by being dropped (presumably) as soon as Denis is fit? I think the rest of the team more or less picks itself.
I was expecting Stefan to continue on a bit of a downward trend, but I thought he was excellent v Hudds and fully deserves to keep his place.
Betts I do get nervy with and I'd quite like to see Rodak. However confidence is pretty key with GKs so he's done little wrong thus far.
Where do we find space for Reid, Reed, Onomah, AK, KMac, Neeskens, Floyd? Good issues to have...

I'd say its more for them to earn a space than for us to find them one, like you say its a good problem to have!
C O Y W

Chutney

MLM is nowhere near the required standard at this level, Mawson has to play.
C O Y W

JimOG

Whilst it's a demanding division - for all- our best players will play 3 games in the next 5 weeks or so. Rest them after Forest - play an experimental side v Southampton then Cardiff before a decent fixture break - not that onerous?

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2019, 11:41:01 AM

Why?

But IIRC correctly you said recently that you never thought getting another CB in was should be a priority this summer. Surely if Mawson is such a liability (in your opinion) we should have prioritised a backup CB over additional midfielders for the u23s

ByTheRiver

MLM will get absolutely bullied against Matt Smith, the barrage of balls into box and physical jostling. It would be like nothing he has ever experienced.

I hear the calls to not play Mawson too much, but this is probably the worst game to do it. I'd sooner rest him in one of the more 'difficult' games against Forest/WBa etc. At least they will be playing a similar sport to what he is used to.

I could honestly see us losing the game with MLM in place of Mawson and the knock on effect on confidence and morale from that would be huge.

Same team to start for me.

bill taylors apprentice

No changes necessary!
Steve Sess is a big boy now and will have to handle many different situations as the season continues.
Steff Jo will be in the thick of it and maybe need a rest at some point in the second half
Mawson must play when fit, we can deal with any injuries if and when!