more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

IF we gather 3 points on Saturday.

Started by Fernhurst, October 02, 2019, 10:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Is it time to visit the well again?

A possibility of promotion requires careful planning and learning from our last diasterous sojourn in the Premier League do we need to invest in the squad this Christmas?

Got my own ideas where to begin.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

grandad

We do have the Sess money to reinvest & should use it to buy a few PL ready players. This is what Wolves did. We do not want to end up like our last promotion with the loan players returning & left with a bare bones squad. Some of our loanees may be available to purchase provided we do gain promotion as this was a condition of their loan.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Statto

I don't think we'll have the budget to do much at all in January

Even if we go up, I suspect any leftover "Sess money" will be quickly swallowed up by the cost of making Cavaliero, Knockaert, Arter and possibly Reed and/or Reid permanent in the summer

I also both hope and expect that once Hector signs, 6-7 of that starting XI will be in our PL starting XI if we get promoted anyway

Roberty

Quote from: grandad on October 02, 2019, 10:39:19 AM
We do have the Sess money to reinvest & should use it to buy a few PL ready players. This is what Wolves did. We do not want to end up like our last promotion with the loan players returning & left with a bare bones squad. Some of our loanees may be available to purchase provided we do gain promotion as this was a condition of their loan.

I think all of them had a loan to permanent deal when they signed, I'm not sure of the conditions but I would assume we'd probably have to buy them all when we're promoted.

TK seems to have learnt his lesson this time and also avoided developing potential premiere league opponents
young players for them
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on October 02, 2019, 10:45:03 AM
I don't think we'll have the budget to do much at all

I also both hope and expect that once Hector signs, 6-7 of that starting XI will be in our PL starting XI if we get promoted anyway

Statto - we discussed the Ryan Sess fee before and TK said in the promo video that he was not prepared to spend it before it was in his pocket - thus the Hector deal was deferred.

That being the case we maybe have the Ryan Sess fee minus what Chelski are going to get for Hector

What I don't think is that it should be spent for the sake of it but if something tasty comes along I hope TK has the fire-power to do a deal
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

FFC1987

I notice Mounie can't get a game at the moment at Huddersfield. I'd add him as a striker if the price is minimal to be honest. Always thought in a better team, he could do better and his stock is clearly down. I wouldn't be against making any of our loans permanent in thsi window if possible as well. All have been good assets.

Statto

Quote from: Roberty on October 02, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
I don't think we'll have the budget to do much at all

Statto - we discussed the Ryan Sess fee before and TK said in the promo video that he was not prepared to spend it before it was in his pocket - thus the Hector deal was deferred.

That being the case we maybe have the Ryan Sess fee minus what Chelski are going to get for Hector

What I don't think is that it should be spent for the sake of it but if something tasty comes along I hope TK has the fire-power to do a deal

I agree we may have some residual "Sess money" (see my edited post above) but I suspect that's earmarked for signing the loanees we already have

The way the Bobby Reid announcement was worded, I wouldn't be surprised if we've an obligation (not just a right) to make that signing permanent in due course. If so, together with Hector, that would be almost all the Sess money spent, before we even get on to buying Arter, Reed, Cavaleiro and Knockaert

Facts Not Fiction

Even if we go up, I suspect any leftover "Sess money" will be quickly swallowed up by the cost of making Cavaliero, Knockaert, Arter and possibly Reed and/or Reid permanent in the summer

The signings of Arter, Cava, Knockaert and Reed will be financed by the promotion income most likely. If we don't go up, we'll likely see the departure of many players too, so money shouldn't be an issue promotion or no promotion.

fulhamben

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 02, 2019, 10:59:50 AM

The signings of Arter, Cava, Knockaert and Reed will be financed by the promotion income most likely. If we don't go up, we'll likely see the departure of many players too, so money shouldn't be an issue promotion or no promotion.
bobby reid doesnt have an option as far as I'm aware, and when he signed he even said he loves cardiff but wont play for warnock who is in his last year. Granted things can change, but he looks a better option than cav to me at the moment
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Sting of the North

Quote from: fulhamben on October 02, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

bobby reid doesnt have an option as far as I'm aware, and when he signed he even said he loves cardiff but wont play for warnock who is in his last year. Granted things can change, but he looks a better option than cav to me at the moment

As per the official announcement, the deal can be made permanent. Unless they mean in the sense that anything may happen in the future (which I find unlikely for them to include) there is an option. If I recall correctly, Reid also stated that he had wanted to go to Fulham for a while, so doesn't strike me as someone wanting to go back.

fulhamben

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 11:57:48 AM

As per the official announcement, the deal can be made permanent. Unless they mean in the sense that anything may happen in the future (which I find unlikely for them to include) there is an option. If I recall correctly, Reid also stated that he had wanted to go to Fulham for a while, so doesn't strike me as someone wanting to go back.
he might have just been diplomatic at the time. Hopefully he bags a goal soon to really kick off his season
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2019, 10:53:45 AM
I notice Mounie can't get a game at the moment at Huddersfield. I'd add him as a striker if the price is minimal to be honest. Always thought in a better team, he could do better and his stock is clearly down. I wouldn't be against making any of our loans permanent in thsi window if possible as well. All have been good assets.

Guesses are that Harrison Reed wouldn't cost much to convert to permanent and worthwhile regardless of which league we are in.

S.F.Sorrow

The question for me is SHOULD we sign Arter, Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Reed on a permanent if we're promoted? We would be spending a lot of money without strengthening the squad at all. Are they really PL quality players? Their previous clubs didn't seem to think so.

On another note: With regards to budgets and FFP aren't we still 'paying' for Seri and Anguissa? Unless they can be sold at a profit (and they won't) can't those signings still cripple us financially for some time yet? I really hope we don't plan on bringing them back for the PL. That would surely ruin morale? If they're not interested in fighting for us in the Championship they can get lost as far as I'm concerned, no matter how good they are.

Sting of the North

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on October 02, 2019, 12:30:08 PM
The question for me is SHOULD we sign Arter, Cavaleiro, Knockaert, Reed on a permanent if we're promoted? We would be spending a lot of money without strengthening the squad at all. Are they really PL quality players? Their previous clubs didn't seem to think so.

On another note: With regards to budgets and FFP aren't we still 'paying' for Seri and Anguissa? Unless they can be sold at a profit (and they won't) can't those signings still cripple us financially for some time yet? I really hope we don't plan on bringing them back for the PL. That would surely ruin morale? If they're not interested in fighting for us in the Championship they can get lost as far as I'm concerned, no matter how good they are.

I think the more correct statement would be that we would be paying that money in order to not weaken our promotion team. Alternatively, we can of course try to go the route we did last time, with having to acquire 10 + players just to have a squad. I know what I prefer.

filham

The January window is 3 months away Let us wait a couple of months and see how this squad develops, a lot can change in that time. Players on the fringe now could be looking better than anything we can attract to the club when the window opens.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 12:38:14 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on October 02, 2019, 12:30:08 PM

I think the more correct statement would be that we would be paying that money in order to not weaken our promotion team. Alternatively, we can of course try to go the route we did last time, with having to acquire 10 + players just to have a squad. I know what I prefer.

Agreed. I take the point that Brighton and Wolves themselves aren't exactly setting the PL on fire, but nonetheless, for a first season or two back in the PL, I'd rather have Arter, Knockaert and Cavaliero than have to integrate and gamble on high profile new signings like Anguissa, Schurrle and Vietto.

Fernhurst

Good point, I always think back to our first game in The Premier League against Crystal Palace at The Cottage. A 0-2 loss and the seeds of doubt regarding our ability to survive were sown.
We were expected to put in a performance and possibly win and in reality were taken down professionally by a well drilled middle of the table team.

From our current line up, who would have got into that CP team----- Mitro, Tom errrrrrr
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Statto

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 02, 2019, 01:42:02 PM

Good point, I always think back to our first game in The Premier League against Crystal Palace at The Cottage. A 0-2 loss and the seeds of doubt regarding our ability to survive were sown.
We were expected to put in a performance and possibly win and in reality were taken down professionally by a well drilled middle of the table team.

From our current line up, who would have got into that CP team----- Mitro, Tom errrrrrr

We had 7 new players making their debut that day, plus Christie who was making only his second start for the club. I think that was the real problem, rather than the quality of the team.

But to answer your question, from the starting XI that day I'd still say Bettinelli, Odoi (at RB), Mawson, Arter and Knockaert are better than Fabri, Christie, MLM, McDonald and Sessegnon respectively.

I'd also consider Hector, Cavaliero and Reed over Chambers (at CB), Schurrle and Seri, although I accept that Chambers, Schurrle and Seri have more potential.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 11:57:48 AM

Cardiff local press also said the following after an interview with Warnock:

"Reid joined Fulham on an initial season-long loan, which it is understood will eventually become a permanent move. Warnock revealed the deal will see Cardiff make a £1.5million profit on their £8.5m outlay last summer."

Mince n Tatties

Scottie wants to sign Jonjo Shelvey in January.