Parker Out!
97 (56.7%)
Give him more time
74 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 27, 2019, 12:25:33 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2019, 12:11:19 AM
Replacing Scott Parker will not increase our chances of staying in top 6, it may even be detrimental. I am just pleased we are currently in joint fourth.

Will not is a strong statement.

Parker is drastically underperforming with the squad at his disposal.

Yes you are right, I shall amend 'will not' to 'probably not', but I am of the opinion that the squad and it's potential is overestimated. Which may explain why many supporters have limited patience with the manager.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 26, 2019, 06:26:28 PM
Its not Parkers fault that Bryan and Mawson are half asleep most of the time,and he doesn't at moment have anyone better to put in.

You're talking about two players who, when we signed them, were the best LB in the championship and a CB recently in the England squad. The equivalent now would be players like  Kieran Gibbs and James Tarkowski. Realisticalky, we couldn't even get them to join us - so how on earth would we get "anyone better"?

Woolly Mammoth

Then we have to make the defenders we have at our disposal play as a unit in a system that does not encourage opponents to press high and push up on our last man, and that also includes the goalkeeper.
I would imagine that when the players see the replays, they will bury their heads in their hands. The defence is creating problems that do not exist, not so much as shooting yourself in the foot, more like blowing it off completely.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Must be a different Mawson that was in England squads,he's not even EFL level ability wise.

RaySmith

Mawson has often looked good this season  in a traditional cb role, but his giving the ball away when pressed by opponents, like yesterday, undermine him, and the team, who did brilliantly to come back three times from being behind, and save the point.

It's not just him , but Ream, who got away with one yesterday, when the attacker missed with his shot, and Rodak. I also wonder about the communication between the three of them.

AS Woolly said, our defenders will bury their heads in shame when they see the  replays, but even City make mistakes playing out from the back. But it's really costing us, and subverts our  undoubted creative and attacking quality.

Obviously everyone at the club must be aware that this needs to be addressed.

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2019, 12:41:42 AM
Replacing Scott Parker will not increase our chances of staying in top 6, it may even be detrimental. I am just pleased we are currently in joint fourth.

Yes you are right, I shall amend 'will not' to 'probably not', but I am of the opinion that the squad and it's potential is overestimated. Which may explain why many supporters have limited patience with the manager.

I can only agree with this sentiment. The team was hyped up in the media as the 'best' championship team, the one 'guaranteed promotion', the 'strongest' and we all know how right the various journos have been over the years. If people wish to believe this, and they have a right to do so, then that is what it is, but there are some on here that failed to engage in the hype and those are perhaps the ones that are jaded as to how good we really are and how much any manager would be able to do.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

clarkey

Hughton is terrible choice. Ask any Brighton fan. Keep Scotty, he plays the right way just not very well at the moment. He is learning.

Get the defence sorted and we will be fine, even really good. Face it this is much better than last season and although frustrating we are not going down.It is a fun league and frankly I do not want promotion I would far rather we had a good season with some good wins and all the madness of the Championship. It's fun, Leeds game was great !

Who wants a boring 1-0 winning team all the time ? That is tedious and certainly not the Fulham way. Go support another club, that is simply not the FFC way.

toshes mate

Quote from: Logicalman on December 27, 2019, 12:46:51 PM

I can only agree with this sentiment. The team was hyped up in the media as the 'best' championship team, the one 'guaranteed promotion', the 'strongest' and we all know how right the various journos have been over the years. If people wish to believe this, and they have a right to do so, then that is what it is, but there are some on here that failed to engage in the hype and those are perhaps the ones that are jaded as to how good we really are and how much any manager would be able to do.
But there are players 'in the squad' who have had mere fleeting opportunity, those who have been cursed for their 'mistakes' or 'inadequacies', while others have been persisted with in spite of their 'mistakes' or 'inadequacies'. That turns selection into something of a puzzle for players to fathom out for themselves and does not breed best of bunch.  With Jokanovic there always seemed to be method in madness that was sometimes spelled out by him, notably the conundrum of where to play that mature for his years youngster RS, when the DoF hadn't replaced a sold on decent left back for example.  There has been none of that simple reflection on where and how the problems are being derived and understood from Parker and I put that down, after this long into his tenure, as his inability to fathom where and what the problems are.  Parker is far too muddled in my view and that is or may be damaging player confidence and understanding.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: toshes mate on December 28, 2019, 08:55:24 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on December 27, 2019, 12:46:51 PM

But there are players 'in the squad' who have had mere fleeting opportunity, those who have been cursed for their 'mistakes' or 'inadequacies', while others have been persisted with in spite of their 'mistakes' or 'inadequacies'. That turns selection into something of a puzzle for players to fathom out for themselves and does not breed best of bunch.  With Jokanovic there always seemed to be method in madness that was sometimes spelled out by him, notably the conundrum of where to play that mature for his years youngster RS, when the DoF hadn't replaced a sold on decent left back for example.  There has been none of that simple reflection on where and how the problems are being derived and understood from Parker and I put that down, after this long into his tenure, as his inability to fathom where and what the problems are.  Parker is far too muddled in my view and that is or may be damaging player confidence and understanding.

But Tosh comparisons with JOka are more weighted in his favour. 'The run' had some key players playing the football of their lives and this was not the coached version but the natural ability they had that forged unlikely partnerships. We also had very few selection problems through injury or suspensions. I remember Button and Ream being regular MotM contenders and of course Ream went on to win the big prize so we invited pressure on our defence even then. As soon as JOka had to face selection problems and the pressure of the Prem he ended up in a similar mire to the one Parker finds himself in.
Sess in full flow right now would be a joy but then the back four would be leaker than it is now.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: clarkey on December 28, 2019, 05:18:17 AM
Hughton is terrible choice. Ask any Brighton fan. Keep Scotty, he plays the right way just not very well at the moment. He is learning.

Get the defence sorted and we will be fine, even really good. Face it this is much better than last season and although frustrating we are not going down.It is a fun league and frankly I do not want promotion I would far rather we had a good season with some good wins and all the madness of the Championship. It's fun, Leeds game was great !

Who wants a boring 1-0 winning team all the time ? That is tedious and certainly not the Fulham way. Go support another club, that is simply not the FFC way.

Hughton, in every world, will be better than Parker.

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 28, 2019, 09:23:57 AM
But Tosh comparisons with JOka are more weighted in his favour. 'The run' had some key players playing the football of their lives and this was not the coached version but the natural ability they had that forged unlikely partnerships.

Nearly spat out my cornflakes when I read this!

Does it apply to Hodgson as well - was it just luck and "unlikely partnerships" that made the likes of Etuhu and Zamora better than Cannavaro and Del Piero?
And I suppose the difference between Hodgson and say, Magath or Sanchez, was that Magath and Sanchez just didn't have that luck.

Since coaching makes no difference according to you, perhaps we should just stick the tea lady in charge and wait for her to get lucky with "key players playing the football of their lives" and "unlikely partnerships"

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on December 28, 2019, 10:24:51 AM
But Tosh comparisons with JOka are more weighted in his favour. 'The run' had some key players playing the football of their lives and this was not the coached version but the natural ability they had that forged unlikely partnerships.

Does it apply to Hodgson as well - was it just luck and "unlikely partnerships" that made the likes of Etuhu and Zamora better than Cannavaro and Del Piero?
And I suppose the difference between Hodgson and say, Magath or Sanchez, was that Magath and Sanchez just didn't have that luck.

Since coaching makes no difference according to you, perhaps we should just stick the tea lady in charge and wait for her to get lucky with "key players playing the football of their lives" and "unlikely partnerships"

Wow.

grandad

Seems to me that the majority of Parker Outers are the same who have called for every manager we have had to be sacked. All they come up with is Big Sam, Moyes, Pulis, Hughton, & a host of other journey man managers.
The end of the season is the time to re- assess, not now.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 28, 2019, 09:27:33 AM

In every word I would disagree with you.  I'm a bit on the fence where Parker is concerned but Hughton? No thanks.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Twig on December 28, 2019, 12:45:23 PM

In every word I would disagree with you.  I'm a bit on the fence where Parker is concerned but Hughton? No thanks.

In what department is Parker a better manager than Hughton?

Twig

I have tried to stay out of this argument because I dislike the stridency and absolutism in many of the posts. There seems to be little room for more balanced views.
I share some of the frustrations both about Parker's slow, possession based style and his seeming reluctance to change things (Leeds excepted). However he is just the sort of young British manager that many of us want to see given more opportunities and he will need some time. I wish we had an experienced DoF who could guide him but we have the hapless Khan.
I am also in the camp that says this is not quite the squad some hyped it up to be. It is certainly unbalanced, we have strength in depth in some areas and a woeful lack in others.
My inclination is to give him this transfer period and then to the end of the season and then assess.

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 28, 2019, 12:47:19 PM

Whilst I sometimes find Parker's preferred style a bit frustrating (there are also times when it is delightful), there have been very few occasions when I have watched a Hughton side and thought; I wish we played like that.

ScalleysDad

Jeeeeezuz! Tosh mentioned JOka that's all. Try a smaller spoonful and read the flipping post properly. The anti Parker venom is getting a bit boring now.

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on December 28, 2019, 02:58:44 PM

Jeeeeezuz! Tosh mentioned JOka that's all. Try a smaller spoonful and read the flipping post properly. The anti Parker venom is getting a bit boring now.

Happy for you to explain how you can tell the difference between (a) a manager getting the best out of a group of players and (b) "not the coached version but the natural ability they had that forged unlikely partnerships"

And I'm genuinely intrigued to hear which of (a) or (b) you'd apply to Hodgson, for example (and again, how you can tell)

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Twig on December 28, 2019, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on December 28, 2019, 12:47:19 PM

Whilst I sometimes find Parker's preferred style a bit frustrating (there are also times when it is delightful), there have been very few occasions when I have watched a Hughton side and thought; I wish we played like that.

I do agree. But my point still stands. I have no doubt we'd be a better side under Hughton.