watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that."

While you can ignore the reference to sarcasm, this is what he said today.  "I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters just like you, just to see what would happen.  I was asking a sarcastic and a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside. But it does kill it and it would kill it on the hands, and it would make things much better."

Seems clear to me.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 24, 2020, 04:44:31 PM
Trump is bonkers - clean round the bend.
Well you may think that, I may think that but I bet that a majority of Americans will vote to give him another term in office.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 24, 2020, 09:00:15 PM
"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that."
You couldn't be more specific than the entire quote? On further reflection I can see how this may be taken literally rather than figuratively, as his usage of "something like" and "almost a" leaves the statement open to interpretation (I did acknowledge in a previous post that it is not well articulated).

While you can ignore the reference to sarcasm, this is what he said today.  "I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters just like you, just to see what would happen.  I was asking a sarcastic and a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside. But it does kill it and it would kill it on the hands, and it would make things much better."
I agree that his backtracking is absurd and foolish. He's dug himself in to a hole there.

rebel

Seems clear to me.

There are citizens in the US who will take it as gospel (I love the US, but it is a strange place); the President is a deluded fool, a danger to himself and others. The night he won the 'Presidency', he was the most shocked person on the planet. He won because the people of the US wanted something different. They got it.

Holders

Quote from: filham on April 24, 2020, 09:23:24 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 24, 2020, 04:44:31 PM
Trump is bonkers - clean round the bend.
Well you may think that, I may think that but I bet that a majority of Americans will vote to give him another term in office.

QED
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Russianrob

Slightly off track.Trump is no Saint but he did put a stop to the most evil people on earth- the Clintons.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Russianrob on April 25, 2020, 10:20:16 AM
Slightly off track.Trump is no Saint but he did put a stop to the most evil people on earth- the Clintons.

Nice one ☝️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

The most evil people on earth? If they are your definition of "most evil" then you have strange values.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on April 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM

The most evil people on earth? If they are your definition of "most evil" then you have strange values.

That statement may sound extreme, but If you could tap Mrs Clinton's telephone line you would be more understanding of what was meant, ask Monica Samille Lewinsky who did a good job in the White House whilst she was in attendance, ask Bill I am sure he would confirm.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

Statto

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on April 24, 2020, 09:55:23 PM
I agree that his backtracking is absurd and foolish. He's dug himself in to a hole there.

Fair comment, I was also disappointed with that, but he was fighting an impossible battle. As far as I can tell the Americans in a similar position to the UK after Br***t, and this crisis has just become a vehicle for the aggrieved half of the country (which, as it did over here, includes most of the media) to unleash 4 yrs of pent up bitterness. The reaction in our own press seems absurd (even this morning, the BBC has churned out more articles misrepresenting what he said) but over there it's off the scale. I watched one of his press conferences for a while and the tone taken by the journalists is unlike anything that would ever confront a UK PM, or even a shadow minister. Crazy situation considering the US is now leading the world in terms of testing numbers, ventilator availability etc.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

St Eve

Excellent

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Statto on April 25, 2020, 01:06:25 PM

Fair comment, I was also disappointed with that, but he was fighting an impossible battle. As far as I can tell the Americans in a similar position to the UK after Br***t, and this crisis has just become a vehicle for the aggrieved half of the country (which, as it did over here, includes most of the media) to unleash 4 yrs of pent up bitterness. The reaction in our own press seems absurd (even this morning, the BBC has churned out more articles misrepresenting what he said) but over there it's off the scale. I watched one of his press conferences for a while and the tone taken by the journalists is unlike anything that would ever confront a UK PM, or even a shadow minister. Crazy situation considering the US is now leading the world in terms of testing numbers, ventilator availability etc.

The BBC even decided to publish a fact check based on this misrepresentation:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52399464

I don't know who their target audience is or whether it's in any way funded by UK TV License payers, but was this really necessary?

Statto

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on April 25, 2020, 01:48:05 PM

I don't know who their target audience is or whether it's in any way funded by UK TV License payers, but was this really necessary?

Yep, the fact-checking is one of my pet hates actually. One of those ways the BBC subtly, and probably unintentionally, deviates from neutrality. It sounds innocent but imagine you and I were among a crowd talking in a pub, and every time you finished a sentence, I said "I can confirm what Mike just said is true." Even if I was agreeing with you, the fact the I had to comment would totally undermine your credibility. And of course with Trump, they'll look for every opportunity to disagree. So for example when he said the US was testing more than anyone in the world, the BBC did a fact-check and said, yes they are testing the most overall, but not per capita. Which is fine, but then when Sir Jeremy Farrar said around the same time that the UK may be the worst affected country in Europe by Covid-19, did the BBC coverage include a fact-check and say maybe overall, but not per capita? Of course not.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Statto on April 25, 2020, 02:26:13 PM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on April 25, 2020, 01:48:05 PM

Yep, the fact-checking is one of my pet hates actually. One of those ways the BBC subtly, and probably unintentionally, deviates from neutrality. It sounds innocent but imagine you and I were among a crowd talking in a pub, and every time you finished a sentence, I said "I can confirm what Mike just said is true." Even if I was agreeing with you, the fact the I had to comment would totally undermine your credibility. And of course with Trump, they'll look for every opportunity to disagree. So for example when he said the US was testing more than anyone in the world, the BBC did a fact-check and said, yes they are testing the most overall, but not per capita. Which is fine, but then when Sir Jeremy Farrar said around the same time that the UK may be the worst affected country in Europe by Covid-19, did the BBC coverage include a fact-check and say maybe overall, but not per capita? Of course not.

The only reason I even browsed to the article in the first place was because I thought they were going to do a fact check as to whether he really said what the rest of the media had purported him to.  :doh:

FFC1987

At first I thought what Trump said wasn't 'that' bad due to common sense and having faith in people in general, but then I realised, we have to remind people not to drink bleach on bottles and young well educated people snort tide pods for lols so maybe, as a man in a very prestigious, influential position, should think a little more responsibly before he talks.....or just leave to to the actual experts.

mrmicawbers

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 11:25:22 AM
Quote from: Twig on April 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM

That statement may sound extreme, but If you could tap Mrs Clinton's telephone line you would be more understanding of what was meant, ask Monica Samille Lewinsky who did a good job in the White House whilst she was in attendance, ask Bill I am sure he would confirm.

Still a very extreme opinion imo.

davew

Wtf, lost track reading some of these posts, by all means Donald start testing your cure or cures on yourself and your supporters and then come back and let us know how you got on, you have suggested 2 in the last week! Your days are numbered as being the most incompetent President of the USA, you will be remembered for that, especially by those of us are that are more intelligent than you and will hopefully still be around to report true news, not fake news! That man really pi$$es me off, sorry mods, admin and anybody else offended by my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)