watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Coronavirus Thread / New / Old / Merged

Started by I Ronic, March 01, 2020, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

.. and US (or anyplace else) Politics per se has nothing to do with this thread, so let's keep it on point please lads & lasses. We all appreciate that it is the Politicians that make decisions, right or wrong, but discussing the decisions is one thing, discussing the persons performance over the past 3.5 years is something different.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

rebel

Quote from: Logicalman on April 28, 2020, 03:54:27 PM
.. and US (or anyplace else) Politics per se has nothing to do with this thread, so let's keep it on point please lads & lasses. We all appreciate that it is the Politicians that make decisions, right or wrong, but discussing the decisions is one thing, discussing the persons performance over the past 3.5 years is something different.

Unfortunately, Convid 19 is littered with politics; from China 'trying to save face' when things go wrong, to the politicians from various countries who relied on the WHO to investigate; who didn't investigate; there are many failures I could highlight. There were news items about the virus on 1st January, the politicians failed big time.       

Twig

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 26, 2020, 02:41:12 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 PM
Donald Trump will more than likely serve a second term, as he has done more for the American people in 4 years what Obama did in 8 years.

I'm sorry...what?  He has certainly done more things than Obama...more immigrant children in cages, separated from their parents and family, more tax cuts for the rich, a much higher budget deficit (long before emergency measures due to COVID-19), more love letters and calls with dictators from Kim Jong Un to his best buddy Vlad, more business deals for his company and his kids as bribes for Trump's attention and gratitude, etc. 

He's a garbage human being, a sociopath without empathy or care for anyone but himself, a narcissist obsessed with his own vanity, a grown man with the attention span and intellectual curiosity of a toddler, and a giant idiot who has succeeded on the backs of others for his entire life.  For months he reminded us every day at those press conferences, and his approval rating has suffered appropriately.  He'll always have his 40ish% of Republicans who feast on his brand of white, Christian grievance politics and they will stick with him until the end.  But luckily, as things stand, it appears the end will be in November and not in 2024.  His predictably incompetent response to the pandemic has likely sealed his fate, though crazier things have happened.

This will probably get removed but I completely agree. Well said.

HV71

I Ronic

Personally I don't have a problem with a bit of politics creeping into this thread. All countries are reporting their figures differently. So trying to draw any logical conclusions is impossible and as we've  seen some leaders are in denial, make ridiculous suggestions or both.
However to bring it back on track. Here's  a comment by Nick Stripe. He heads the Office for National Statistics. He was commenting on a week back in January 2000, when there was a bad flu season and a higher number of deaths in one week than one of the recent weeks. It's this sentence that I think is probably the one that should start any public announcement. I'd never heard of the guy before but I'm betting he's got a big heart beating in his chest.

"Each one is a person. Each one has a family. We must always remember this,"

ALG01

Quote from: Twig on April 28, 2020, 06:05:42 PM
Quote from: PaulUMD on April 26, 2020, 02:41:12 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2020, 10:24:51 PM
Donald Trump will more than likely serve a second term, as he has done more for the American people in 4 years what Obama did in 8 years.

I'm sorry...what?  He has certainly done more things than Obama...more immigrant children in cages, separated from their parents and family, more tax cuts for the rich, a much higher budget deficit (long before emergency measures due to COVID-19), more love letters and calls with dictators from Kim Jong Un to his best buddy Vlad, more business deals for his company and his kids as bribes for Trump's attention and gratitude, etc. 

He's a garbage human being, a sociopath without empathy or care for anyone but himself, a narcissist obsessed with his own vanity, a grown man with the attention span and intellectual curiosity of a toddler, and a giant idiot who has succeeded on the backs of others for his entire life.  For months he reminded us every day at those press conferences, and his approval rating has suffered appropriately.  He'll always have his 40ish% of Republicans who feast on his brand of white, Christian grievance politics and they will stick with him until the end.  But luckily, as things stand, it appears the end will be in November and not in 2024.  His predictably incompetent response to the pandemic has likely sealed his fate, though crazier things have happened.

This will probably get removed but I completely agree. Well said.

Whilst i share the view about trump I am not sure he will be voted out. national disasters always favour the incumbent no matter how hopeless they are. do not expect that the american voting public will behave rationally!

Holders

As was said above:

"Trump is bonkers - clean round the bend".
"Well you may think that, I may think that but I bet that a majority of Americans will vote to give him another term in office".

The American public were bonkers enough to vote for him the first time around.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on April 24, 2020, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on April 24, 2020, 03:20:58 PM
Quote from: F(f)CUK on April 24, 2020, 02:51:27 PM
Disinfectant...disinfectant...disinfectant  :doh:

Trump yesterday - we're looking at creative solutions, for example light and certain chemicals kill the virus so we're exploring solutions based on that
Media today - Trump tells everyone to drink bleach

Haha yes exactly.

But apparently he "shouldn't have said it" because his "ill-informed followers will harm themself". Perfectly ok for the media to misconstrue his words...

US intelligence yesterday: Covid-19 wasn't man-made but may have mistakenly come from a Chinese research lab
Trump yesterday: I've seen evidence it came from a Chinese lab and there was a mistake
BBC headline today: "Trump seems to undercut US spies"

Truly absurd levels of incompetence and bias, albeit unintended, from the BBC this morning

RaySmith

Not really possible to discuss this subject, or other controversial, relevant subjects, such as the Holocaust - a recently deleted thread - without it being political, because people have fiercely opposing views on these things, usually related to which side of the  political spectrum they inhabit.

There is no 'objective' point of view on these matters.

I am certain that the BBC isn't biased towards the left, and anti-Trump or Brexit, as its opponents think, but  that is their reality.
People on the Left think the BBC is biased against them.

These days Truth  seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

Statto

There is absolutely such a thing as objective truth on most matters. For example, whether two statements are contradictory is a matter of language and logic, not opinion.

I agree, and have always said, the BBC isn't *intentionally* biased. Their Brexit coverage was awful at times, but I won't go into specifics on that. Corbyn wasn't my cup of tea but I fully accept he probably got misrepresented by the BBC at times. So yes it cuts both ways generally.

But it's coverage of Trump is certainly biased, albeit unintentionally, and much of its general coverage of this crisis has been woeful, unhelpful, selective, misguided and/or sensationalist fear-mongering.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: RaySmith on May 01, 2020, 09:09:59 AM
Not really possible to discuss this subject, or other controversial, relevant subjects, such as the Holocaust - a recently deleted thread - without it being political, because people have fiercely opposing views on these things, usually related to which side of the  political spectrum they inhabit.

I am certain that the BBC isn't biased towards the left, and anti-Trump or Brexit, as its opponents think, but  that is their reality.

What about when the BBC interviews supposedly impartial health workers, only for it to emerge that many of them were in fact political activists?

For example in the case of the BBC's recent Panorama broadcast it emerged they had asked an individual to procure health workers (something which the BBC had to back-track on), who within their Twitter profile describes themself as a Communist - 1254858388170653697[/tweet]][/url]

QuoteI was one of those who spoke to Panorama and put them in touch with health workers. They told me that they would not let them down and would tell the truth. They did. You should all watch it #Panorama #coronavirus Shame on anyone who believes the Govt now

QuoteFor the avoidance of any doubt. The BBC +Channel 4 researchers who contacted me (I have kept the messages) never asked my politics or asked for Labour supporters. They only wanted to talk to key workers. They made an honest documentary.  Good on them! #coronavirus #BBCPanorama

Russianrob

The BBC is like crying wolf but in reverse. The majority of what they report is fair and factual.However when it gives false news it is impossible to spot.Bigger liars are The Guardian newspaper however even they tell the truth now and again.This is a highly subjective post as you can tell.Each to their own!!

Twig

Spot on

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Twig on May 01, 2020, 10:32:45 AM

Spot on
:plus one:  This discussion is reminiscent of the old, often quoted, story. Chap asks accountant "What's the answer?" Accountant replies "What would you like the answer to be?"   It seems these days that your truth may not be my truth.  People select quotes, news, data to reinforce individual prejudices.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

rebel

Quote from: Statto on May 01, 2020, 09:22:18 AM
There is absolutely such a thing as objective truth on most matters. For example, whether two statements are contradictory is a matter of language and logic, not opinion.

I agree, and have always said, the BBC isn't *intentionally* biased. Their Brexit coverage was awful at times, but I won't go into specifics on that. Corbyn wasn't my cup of tea but I fully accept he probably got misrepresented by the BBC at times. So yes it cuts both ways generally.

But it's coverage of Trump is certainly biased, albeit unintentionally, and much of its general coverage of this crisis has been woeful, unhelpful, selective, misguided and/or sensationalist fear-mongering.

Sky News was mega biased in the UK election. They brought over Diana Magnay from Russia to cover the election. She covered the Labour Party. Her reports covering the Labour Party followed a clear methodology, all the Labour daily woes were tagged on each day, this went on for weeks. The reporter covering the Conservative Party had a totally different and balanced way of reporting the days events.           

Statto

Quote from: rebel on May 01, 2020, 11:55:06 AM
Quote from: Statto on May 01, 2020, 09:22:18 AM

Sky News was mega biased in the UK election. They brought over Diana Magnay from Russia to cover the election. She covered the Labour Party. Her reports covering the Labour Party followed a clear methodology, all the Labour daily woes were tagged on each day, this went on for weeks. The reporter covering the Conservative Party had a totally different and balanced way of reporting the days events.           

Hmmm, makes up for 2017 when they spent a week talking about a plastic F falling off the wall at the Tory conference then. On general Labour/Tory stuff I still think, as others have said, that it cuts both ways and evens itself out over time. I'm not trying to make a point about that. 

Friendsoffulham

Sorry guys, as much as we've tried to bend the rules a little, by keeping this post open for COVID19 reasons, it's turned very political, even after a Mod had asked for things to be kept on track. Due to this, we are now locking it to prevent any more political discussions.