watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any tv programmes people can recommend

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, April 09, 2020, 02:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Just finished White House Farm about Jeremy Bamber murders. It was an excellent programme about shocking crimes.

Any other good tv shows you can recommend?

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

I also thought White House Farm was good, compelling watching.

I've really enjoyed Race Across the World, on BBC, firstsries on I player, with ordinary couples - could be two friends, mother and sn, etc,  having to get to a certain  foreign destination  in a race, with time limits, and on  a budget of only the price of a plane  fare to cover everything, but not allowed o use a plane.
Obviously filmed, but the  couple of people in the film crew are not allowed to intervene if they get on the wrong coach or spend all their money.
A lot better than it sounds, with a mixture of  competition, travelogue to places   not usually featured, and the relationships between the couples.

Breaking Bad offshoot,Better Call Saul, on Netflix is brilliant - there are  at least three full series to watch, with the latest being drip fed one episode a week. Quality .

Just binge watched the latest  series, the third, of Ozark on Netflix. Definitely compulsive watching - Breaking Badish, with the story of a middle-class couple caught up in violent , organised crime - full of plot twists and surprises.

On ITV, like White House Farm, The Americans, if still available, which i think it is, is brilliant.

Homeland, just  ended the final series on C4, also excellent, all series should still be available.

If you can watch Chernobyl available on Amazon Prime, this is one of he best ever - but chilling in these times.

Jimsbeerbelly

Just finished binge watching Save me Too, however, would recommend watching Save me first, so you get the gist.

bill taylors apprentice

Tiger King on Netflix is bizarre but worth watching.
I just re watched The Last Kingdom which I enjoyed, based on Bernard Cornwall's The Saxon stories with 4th series out soon
Just started Ozark which is promising.

If you like a bit of juvenile silliness try Sex Education with Gillian Anderson.
Socially awkward teenager who's mum is a sex therapist doesn't really explain it properly but I thought it very amusing

Steeeeeeeeeed

Breaking Bad really is special... I heard Mark Kermode talking about it the other day saying he finally succumbed to watching it last year and being Highly Impressed (he doesn't watch much TV).

The Prequel Better Call Saul is also Very Good (but do watch Breaking Bad first), but I found Seasons 3 and 4 almost too slow and dithering... But the current Season 5 has been absolutely top notch.

Both on Netflix, only reason I bother getting that to be fair, lot of guff on it, but a few good bits like Only Fools etc.

For a laugh, Curb Your Enthusiasm is still hilarious, probably my favourite American comedy of all time
Larry David is a true hero... just about to watch the final episode...on Sky Entertainment which had a special offer of £1 a month on Nowtv recently.

mrmicawbers

If you haven't got Netflix watch Taboo on the iPlayer good series imo.

yatewhite

If you want to watch something that's nostalgic and uplifting and so warming, watch The Repair Shop which is on BBC1 every Wednesday evening. Never fails to bring a (happy) tear to my eye!

Finnans Right Peg

Tiger king is weird and wonderful all at the same time

Brightster#2

Living the dream. It's Phillip glenister and Lesley sharp.  It's a comedy about a family that moves to Florida from Yorkshire on the same visa I moved to the us on. Shows how screwed up the immigration system in America is but in a light hearted way. There are two season. On amazon prime!!! Well worth it

Buffalo76

Parks And Recreation - American docu- style comedy. 

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

ffcne

Watching a lot of the old stuff Porridge,Heartbeat,Last of Summer wine etc.
Programme called Bangers and Cash was good.

Beamer

The Stranger and The English Game both very good for Netflix viewers.

Oakeshott

I don't know if it is available on Netflix, but I've been watching on DVDs a drama series from the 1980s about MI6, "The Sandbaggers". Roy Marsden, who has been in all sorts of things and Ray Lonnen (now dead) play the main roles.

Nearly forty years old but very enjoyable.

I've also been watching "Roger Roger," a series written by John Sullivan (of "Only Fools And Horses" fame) about a minicab office. The excellent Robert Daws plays the main role. Uneven, with brilliant early episodes but increasingly unbelievable later ones. I think it contains one of the funniest moments in any tv series (when one of the characters' young daughters keeps asking her grandmother to kick a bucket. When asked why she says "Dad says if you kick the bucket we can go to Disneyland"). Also a scene where the Daws character asked for the theme from "The Bodyguard" (Whitney Houston's "I will Always Love You") to be played at a funeral service for his former partner, as it was the partner and his wife's favourite. The funeral director mistakenly has the theme from "Minder" played.

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Jack Fulham

I would suggest the following on either BBC iplayer/netflix
Yes, Minister & Yes, Prime Minister
House of Cards (British Original)
Line of Duty - Police Drama
The Last Kingdom - Story around Danish/Viking invasion into Saxon Britain based on book by Bernard Cornwell
Breaking Bad

Nowtv/Sky has following
Band of Brothers - Must watch
The Wire - like reading a book, watched multiple times
The Sopranos - Mafia drama, very funny
Gomorrah (in Neapolitan so need subtitles) - Mafia drama
Babylon Berlin (In German so need subtitles) - 1930's Berlin, just finished watching
Entourage - comedy very easy watch with 25 min episodes
True Detective - US Crime drama, Season 1 was excellent although finding it very slow watching it again

Amazon Prime
The Test - if you like cricket, it is excellent

Great Series that are to find on streaming services nowadays
John Adams - HBO miniseries
Wolf Hall - Was originally on BBC

Gonna give Better call Saul another go as i have stop started a few times

Logicalman

Just started watching "Sunderland 'Til I Die" on Netflix. So many comparisons to our great club, it's eerie.

Also started "Rumpole" from the beginning again, old Horace is a sarcastic sod.

Just finished OFAH, Breaking Bad (+ the offshoots and sequels, and movie), Ozark (seasons 1-3) , and in the middle of Yes, Minister! & NYPD Blue.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

bill taylors apprentice

'Next Goal Wins' is probably the best football docu I have ever seen!
Its on Amazon or youtube

The film chronicles the national football team of American Samoa as they try to recover from the indignity of being known as the worst football team in the world, and to qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
They haven't scored a goal for like years and lost 31- nil to Australia in a WC qualifier in 2001.

It has a happy and uplifting ending.