more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeping_white

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 16, 2020, 09:21:49 AM
Tah is (unfortunately) not going to join a team that, at this point, are odds against to get relegated. Why would he want that on his CV at this point? Let's not waste team (as we allegedly did with Hinteregger) and go after some realistic targets and get them in quick. It's already now probably too late for Leeds. So, if we lose that, the lost of targets narrows still further (as we edge towards even more likely relegation).

I have to say, I am quite shocked that no CB has been brought in yet. It's possibly a bigger mess up than 18/19. Sigh.

You could easily say the same or Areola though - he's swapped PSG and Madrid to play regular football, who says a loan to buy for Tah to get him regular football wouldn't be motivation enough, bearing in mind he's fallen down the pecking order at Leverkusen

SG

I have to say, I am quite shocked that no CB has been brought in yet. It's possibly a bigger mess up than 18/19. Sigh.

I dont see why anybody should be shocked. We confirm £30+m of transfers with Knock, Cav and BDR none of who seem to me to be good enough for the Prem but yet again we do not sign a commanding CB. The fact that 3 of the back four last Sat started our previous prem campaign is a massive indictment on our transfer policy. Thankfully it is not my money that is being spunked away

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 16, 2020, 09:36:42 AM
Tah is (unfortunately) not going to join a team that, at this point, are odds against to get relegated. Why would he want that on his CV at this point? Let's not waste team (as we allegedly did with Hinteregger) and go after some realistic targets and get them in quick. It's already now probably too late for Leeds. So, if we lose that, the lost of targets narrows still further (as we edge towards even more likely relegation).

You could easily say the same or Areola though - he's swapped PSG and Madrid to play regular football, who says a loan to buy for Tah to get him regular football wouldn't be motivation enough, bearing in mind he's fallen down the pecking order at Leverkusen

I guess we will see...

dfwilson84

Clearly we are after an attacking player as there have been a lot of rumours about a number of players throughout the summer. I am however, confident that we are also after 1/2 centre backs as when we signed Kongolo in Jan, we had 5 in that position and we now have 3 (not including Odoi). This cant have gone unnoticed. SP intimated we needed better quality in key positions in his post game interview on Saturday and that people at the club are working hard to recruit.

I suspect the issue is price. It looks as though we have missed out on a fair few targets because of price (Wilson, Watkins, Traore etc). In Tony Khans interview at the start of the summer he mentioned being quoted double what the club had valued some of the early targets at and that this is why most of the business gets done in the last week. I think he was talking about Jovane Cabral at the time who appears to be a long term target.

I suspect we have some targets that are valued at 20m plus (King, Smalling, Tah) and I also suspect these players are waiting it out to see if they can get a better move. The club will likely be waiting for a) confirmation the players want to join and b) an opportunity to get a better price once towards the end of the window. I imagine from previous windows, they will also have some backups (Kongolo etc) lined up for medicals on deadline day in case they cant get the first choice targets.

Obviously I cant verify any of this, I am just trying to read between the lines from the snippets on information and rumours we have received.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: SG on September 16, 2020, 09:37:00 AM

I dont see why anybody should be shocked. We confirm £30+m of transfers with Knock, Cav and BDR none of who seem to me to be good enough for the Prem but yet again we do not sign a commanding CB. The fact that 3 of the back four last Sat started our previous prem campaign is a massive indictment on our transfer policy. Thankfully it is not my money that is being spunked away

Agree with this.

The whole wait until the end of the window so the asking price is lowered by a bit is great, but the problem is by then we will have had several of our winnable games already played, and every point is precious.

alfie

What is a realistic target?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Moonraker

As a Fulham supporter since 1965 and a great follower of Friends of Fulham I share concerns on the Centre Half situation

finknottle

Quote from: Classic94 on September 16, 2020, 09:10:37 AM
I'm surprised we let Mawson go without a replacement primed to join... We currently have 3 regular CB's, 2 of which aren't good enough and the other's unproven. Seems bizarre.

Mawson was 5th choice CB behind Hector, Ream, Odoi and MLM. He was also possibly earning more than the other 4.

JimmyConway

sarnian

/

Hangeland joined when we were even bigger certainties to go down.

finknottle

cmg

It's obvious to all (that's forumtalk for 'me and another bloke who might agree with me') that no sane, rational, half-way competent centre-back would want to join this fiasco of a club which is already doomed to embarrassing relegation.

At the same time I am disgusted that the stumbling management has not already signed at least one sane, rational, half-way competent centre-back from the long list of candidates clamouring to join at knock down prices.

junior white

Quote from: JimmyConway on September 16, 2020, 10:14:29 AM
Disagree Mawson was 5th choice - 3rd perhaps
Odoi and MLM were both used above AM last season at CB even when he was on the bench. At times we bought Christie on and moved a Odoi inside or just bought MLM on. So can't see he was 3rd choice I.e. back up to hector and ream

Sting of the North

Quote from: cmg on September 16, 2020, 10:18:39 AM
It's obvious to all (that's forumtalk for 'me and another bloke who might agree with me') that no sane, rational, half-way competent centre-back would want to join this fiasco of a club which is already doomed to embarrassing relegation.

At the same time I am disgusted that the stumbling management has not already signed at least one sane, rational, half-way competent centre-back from the long list of candidates clamouring to join at knock down prices.

Good summary!

Southcoastffc

Quote from: cmg on September 16, 2020, 10:18:39 AM

0001.gif Blooming 'eck - that's the spirit.  Let's give up and take up knitting instead!    I'm pleased that I'm not the other bloke who might agree with you!  Nil desperandum.   049:gif   COYW!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: alfie on September 16, 2020, 10:10:26 AM

What is a realistic target?

I would say that is the job of the DoF and scouting team. Neither of which are me. But given that we have two games of magnitude that cannot be overstated in the next two weeks, one that doesn't want to wait until the end of the window, when those games have passed, in case they receive a better offer. That would be just a little pointer.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: sarnian on September 16, 2020, 10:16:59 AM

/

Hangeland was coming from the Norwegian league so it was an enormous step up in his career.

FFC In Oz

/

Hangeland wasn't joining from Leverkusen though, he was joining from the Norwegian league.

finknottle

Quote from: FFC In Oz on September 16, 2020, 10:48:47 AM

/

Hangeland wasn't joining from Leverkusen though, he was joining from the Norwegian league.

Danish League. But still a big step up.

keithh

Said before that waiting for something to happen is a tad frustrating. I log on every late morning & early evening hoping for transfer news and although I mostly enjoy the banter (although even that is beginning to get repetitive) I am beginning to get impatient with the club's seemingly inaction. I pen this hoping that immediately after I press send I'm proved wrong.