Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 07:17:17 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 06:24:46 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on August 09, 2020, 06:19:36 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 09, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 08:38:11 AM
Quote from: alfie on August 08, 2020, 07:26:21 PM
Quote from: rebel on August 08, 2020, 05:02:34 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 08, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.
Should snap his up if we get the chance..

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.
Yes but that wasn't last week was it, 2 seasons ago

Yes, but he's not going to lose any of the qualities he showed previously. He'll still have the same mindset, 'unfinished business' in the Prem.

Well one quality he will be rapidly losing is physical condition. He would be more than two years older and approaching 34. He simply won't be quite the player he was when we brought him in previously. I'm not knocking the guy, he was a light in a dark place last time around but time waits for no man sadly.

I agree, it's possible age may be catching up with him. I don't know and would rely on the club to check that out. His stats must be available. What I will say though is that at 35 Christiano Ronaldo is still doing okay, not that I'm comparing the two other than their respective ages.
ronaldo is doing ok, but half the player he was a few years ago. Still good at half mind. Babel is starting from a much lower base than ronaldo

Ronaldo, Previous season 21 goals in 31 matches, this season 31 goals in 33 matches, don't you hate stats.
Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches

So how do you explain his 31goals in 33 matches this season? A resurgence in form?
juve spent a lot of money upgrading there squad this season.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rebel

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 07:39:39 PM
An attacking midfielder, winger, whatever- but i thought him outstanding for us, his quality stood out,and he seemed   very fit, and able to fit straight into the side, make an impact, and develop an understanding with the others that  our  expensive pre-season signings seemed to find difficult to do.

Forget his age, he was only playing for us a season ago, and is still playing at a top level.

Agree 100%, some of the poster's have a short memory scored 6 goals in 15 games.

Yes, but he's not going to lose any of the qualities he showed previously. He'll still have the same mindset, 'unfinished business' in the Prem.

Well one quality he will be rapidly losing is physical condition. He would be more than two years older and approaching 34. He simply won't be quite the player he was when we brought him in previously. I'm not knocking the guy, he was a light in a dark place last time around but time waits for no man sadly.

I agree, it's possible age may be catching up with him. I don't know and would rely on the club to check that out. His stats must be available. What I will say though is that at 35 Christiano Ronaldo is still doing okay, not that I'm comparing the two other than their respective ages.
ronaldo is doing ok, but half the player he was a few years ago. Still good at half mind. Babel is starting from a much lower base than ronaldo

Ronaldo, Previous season 21 goals in 31 matches, this season 31 goals in 33 matches, don't you hate stats.
like I said he is still good at half his ability. Now look at his record in la Liga as to me sire a is a weaker league. For the last four years at Madrid he has slowly declined, it happens when you get old. But if we are seriously contemplating old players then let's go for Rooney. Far better than Babel has ever been and roughly the same age. Any takers for Rooney?

O.K. same question, we just can't generalise, 'so how do you explain his 31goals in 33 matches this season? A resurgence in form?'

rebel

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 08:04:09 PM
Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 08:02:04 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 07:36:41 PM

Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches

So how do you explain his 31goals in 33 matches this season? A resurgence in form?
Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 08:04:09 PM
Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 08:02:04 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 07:36:41 PM

Ronaldo 5 years ago
48 goals in 35 matches

Right so the decline in goals in previous seasons was down to Juve not spending enough money.

fulhamben

Quote from: rebel on August 09, 2020, 08:04:26 PM

like I said he is still good at half his ability. Now look at his record in la Liga as to me sire a is a weaker league. For the last four years at Madrid he has slowly declined, it happens when you get old. But if we are seriously contemplating old players then let's go for Rooney. Far better than Babel has ever been and roughly the same age. Any takers for Rooney?

O.K. same question, we just can't generalise, 'so how do you explain his 31goals in 33 matches this season? A resurgence in form?'

i just answered that, juve improved their squad this year. Plus you are talking about one of the worlds best players. Now answer my question, should we sign a similarly aged Rooney who was a million times better than Babel has ever been?

Whitestone

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 08:07:13 PM

i just answered that, juve improved their squad this year. Plus you are talking about one of the worlds best players. Now answer my question, should we sign a similarly aged Rooney who was a million times better than Babel has ever been?

Have you answered your own question? Rooney was better then Babel. Not any more though ? Maybe ?

fulhamben

Quote from: Whitestone on August 09, 2020, 08:32:34 PM

Have you answered your own question? Rooney was better then Babel. Not any more though ? Maybe ?
not any more? Why, if Babel is apparently going to come back and be as good as he was, then doesn't it stand to reason that Rooney will too? Surely makes sense to buy the better player in Rooney doesn't it.

Statto

As I said up the thread, let's buy a whole team of has-beens like we did under Jol. Maybe we can get Heitinga, Riise, Karagounis, Diarra, Holtby and Berbatov back. Add in Rooney, Schurrle and Babel and that is a bloody good team.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 09, 2020, 08:55:00 PM
As I said up the thread, let's buy a whole team of has-beens like we did under Jol. Maybe we can get Heitinga, Riise, Karagounis, Diarra, Holtby and Berbatov back. Add in Rooney, Schurrle and Babel and that is a bloody good team.
oldies, freebies and loans, what could possibly go wrong đŸ˜‚

Statto

We could also get Parker as back on the pitch as player-coach, actually

Whitestone

But that's the point. IMO Rooney isn't the better player anymore. I have no idea If Babel can play at same level of just 15 months ago,  when he played with a desire and commitment coupled with an ability that very few players demonstrated in that disastrous season. Is he right for Fulham now I don't know. Worth considering though given the short turnaround.

FFC1987

As usual, the debate has been watered down so much that we couldn't possibly sign a player like Babel without comparing it to the back end of the Al Fayed years. If you do a pros and cons column of signing him, the pros outweigh the cons.

If this was likely the only signing or a string of similar signings, i'm with you. But this really isn't the case. It's a signing that is risk free and makes sense for all the reasons we already mentioned, but in short, experienced, knows the club, knows the players, brings a quality we don't really have and with his age, certainly doesn't get a long contract. He could well come and be absolute dross, but i'd still rather we invested in other key areas, CB, DM, RB, backup striker, before even looking at making wingers a priority considering we just spent in excess of £20m on 2 wingers in Knockaert and Cav? I think that's a reasonable position even if you still think we lack pace in the side. 

rebel

Derby has, how well have they done since his arrival?

rebel

I bet you were 'gushing' over them when they played well for us.

rebel

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 09, 2020, 10:26:38 PM
As usual, the debate has been watered down so much that we couldn't possibly sign a player like Babel without comparing it to the back end of the Al Fayed years. If you do a pros and cons column of signing him, the pros outweigh the cons.

If this was likely the only signing or a string of similar signings, i'm with you. But this really isn't the case. It's a signing that is risk free and makes sense for all the reasons we already mentioned, but in short, experienced, knows the club, knows the players, brings a quality we don't really have and with his age, certainly doesn't get a long contract. He could well come and be absolute dross, but i'd still rather we invested in other key areas, CB, DM, RB, backup striker, before even looking at making wingers a priority considering we just spent in excess of £20m on 2 wingers in Knockaert and Cav? I think that's a reasonable position even if you still think we lack pace in the side. 

Good post, if he's loaned to us, there are all sorts of caveats that can be added to his loan contract. If he doesn't perform Parker will hopefully be sensible enough to drop him.

Twig

Lol brilliant. It's time to move on and forget the past.

The Rational Fan

We could spend £60m to get Luiz, Coleman, Bertrand, Fernandinho, Milner, Silva, Giroud, Young and Babel, but they will only come if we offer them five-year contracts. Everyone will be praising Tony Khan for about two years when we are mid-table in the premier league, then the players will get old and a typically MAF checkbook rescue will be needed where he buys another bunch of less old players. Only this time FFP will be forcing us to buy young players with all the money that we got from the very old players we are selling and we end up free failing though the divisions like Sunderland did before us.

The Rock

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 04:24:50 PM
Quote from: filham on August 08, 2020, 04:21:50 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 03:35:35 PM
Would love a younger version of him...but even at 33 I still rate him higher than Cav or Knock. 

Well that has to be our benchmark, better than Cav. and Knock, yes unless we have someone better in mind, grab him.

if we don't have someone better in mind, it's gonna be a long hard season.

Agreed 100%. We'll see whether TK has learnt from his mistakes. So far these kinds of threads about these past players and players past their prime in itself is a concern.

sunburywhite

Thats harsh about Karagounis
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Twig

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 10, 2020, 08:54:01 PM

Thats harsh about Karagounis

Love it

Twig

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2020, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on August 09, 2020, 08:00:35 PM
Lets get Ronaldo
that would make way more sense or like I said Rooney. Shearer looks like he keeps himself in shape too

So it's agreed then, sod Babel or Rooney we'll get Ronaldo. While we're at it can I suggest we take a punt on an ageing Messi?