https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which CB 'WILL' we sign?

Started by 3-lions, August 26, 2020, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

064.gif
Quote from: Bryanthebroom on August 26, 2020, 12:10:18 PM
Ben White would be the dream pick. Will most likely be aiming higher than us though.

It seems that the reason Brighton wont sell to Leeds is that they don't want to directly strengthen a competitor for relegation.
Begs the question about why they let Knockeart join us then  064.gif

Carborundum

Honestly don't know, but Pontus Jansson would be a splendid signing as would Sean Morrison.  Both have an air of alpha dominance that radiates confidence to their teammates. 

FFC1987

Quote from: Carborundum on August 26, 2020, 01:30:04 PM
Honestly don't know, but Pontus Jansson would be a splendid signing as would Sean Morrison.  Both have an air of alpha dominance that radiates confidence to their teammates.

That's a big yikes from me on both those recommendations.....

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Jim© on August 26, 2020, 01:10:20 PM
064.gif
Ben White would be the dream pick. Will most likely be aiming higher than us though.

It seems that the reason Brighton wont sell to Leeds is that they don't want to directly strengthen a competitor for relegation.

Maybe because he's not strengthening us? :p

Moltobueno

Don't know how realistic but why not go for Kabasele from Watford?

Riversider

Malang Sarr from Chelsea on a season long loan, we were interested in him before he chose Chelsea, with them wanting to put him out on loan surely we will show an interest,
The downside of course is that we have our defence weakened every time we play Chelsea.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 26, 2020, 02:00:30 PM
064.gif

Ben White is worth more than £25m, I wouldn't sell a homegrown player like that either.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 27, 2020, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on August 26, 2020, 02:00:30 PM
064.gif

Ben White is worth more than £25m, I wouldn't sell a homegrown player like that either.

I meant Knockaert.

Hoppus

filham

Quote from: Hoppus on August 27, 2020, 09:38:01 AM
Quote from: We Are Premier League on August 27, 2020, 09:31:02 AM
Chambers

Please no!
Injured and not good enough.
Remember in our last Premier league season how bad our defence was and Chambers was a failure in the back four. I was only as a makeshift defensive midfielder that he became useful.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on August 27, 2020, 11:15:17 AM
Chambers

Please no!

+1

Ah, I'm conflicted by this one. At a reasonable price, lets say, less than 15m, he'd be a great asset to the squad, think Baird, can play full back, centre back and DM, so we get great cover. With form, he's good enough. He just has confidence issues I think. He came to us probably bottom of the barrel, having gone from potential England star to laughing stock at Arsenal. He rebuilt his name somewhat out of position for us in DM, but when played at the back, in an unsettled newly created team, he struggled, not only struggled but looked completely devoid of basic defence principles from spacial awareness, to where to lead attackers away from goal. He was poor. He went back to Arsenal, who just thought, 'great, hes back but he won't add much' but happened to pull together a string of decent performances in both CB and RB before eventually losing his place again through better players being fit/his own injury.

With that in mind, I think he'd enrich the squad, sometimes the first team, sometimes, the bench and I'd hope we didn't sink too much of our budget into him. Parker likes him, he knows the team and setup and how we play so I wouldn't be against this happening but I also wouldn't be over the moon either. He isn't the answer to our CB requirement but potentially could be for RB but definitely would provide cover.

Not mentioning his injury, this also stacks against him. We know all too well how players can depreciate after such injuries so I'd hope he is a future thought, not an immediate fix.

ByTheRiver

One thing I don't think is being taken seriously enough re. Chambers (whether or not the situation at the club mitigates performances at CB - after all Slav is not given the same slack by many here and just termed as 'failed in the prem') is the ACL injury. There are a long list of players who have never been quite the same player after these. Some have continued but changed play style (forwards) and some have just dropped down. It's a very serious injury. HE was never the most mobile to start with. 

I think, regardless of views on whether he is good enough (I'm not a huge fan tbh), it would absolutely have to be a loan with a view to buy at the end of the season (number of performances and remaining in the league dependent). I'm not sure Arsenal would go for that, so...

We Are Premier League

Quote from: filham on August 27, 2020, 10:29:12 AM
Chambers

Please no!
Remember in our last Premier league season how bad our defence was and Chambers was a failure in the back four. I was only as a makeshift defensive midfielder that he became useful.

https://tbrfootball.com/arsenal-fans-react-to-calum-chambers-reports-amid-leeds-interest/

S.F.Sorrow

I was actually positive about signing Chambers but I had missed the part about ACL injury. That's definitely not what we need now. Any players we sign must be fit and ready for the start of the season. It's only two weeks left now and we are running out of time.

fulhamfever

Fernhurst

Sarr on loan from the mob down the road.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jonnoj

Quote from: Riversider on August 26, 2020, 11:29:03 PM
Malang Sarr from Chelsea on a season long loan, we were interested in him before he chose Chelsea, with them wanting to put him out on loan surely we will show an interest,
The downside of course is that we have our defence weakened every time we play Chelsea.
This makes a lot of sense, decent player and left footed. So many suggestions above eg Smalling are for players who play on the right, we badly need a first choice left sided Cb to partner Hector. (And in my view a decent back up to Hector too).

Classic94

Would happily take Sarr, Tomori or Christensen off them.