watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which CB 'WILL' we sign?

Started by 3-lions, August 26, 2020, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3-lions

come on . name the one you think we'd sign?

Is it Smalling, Chambers, Kongolo, Sarr name anyone . Just name the one your gut thinks we'd sign to start alongside Hector gameday one.

Personally think Smalling sadly will turn us down, we'd pass on Chambers and Kongolo due to their injury problems and end up with someone from Chelsea.

bencher

FFCFOREVER

Malang Sarr. He's going to Chelsea apparently but they want him to go out on loan.

Finnans Right Peg

Shane duffy or a last minute loan deal where u have to ask google who the xxxx is that

ByTheRiver

Beamer

JimmyConway

It's a difficult position to fill currently as three of the top four teams in prem last season are all looking at this position and we are not competing at that level. Option might be to look at possible loan deal with Chelsea as they are top heavy with centre backs. I wonder if Smalling might see us as a backward step considering his been playing in Serie A for Roma.
It's no ringing endorsement with Watford being relegated but possible Cathcart or Dawson have Prem experience wouldn't imagine large transfer fee/s.
Let's hope we don't go for inexperienced type at that position.
One player from the championship who possibly could step up is Pontus? Typical no nonsense type who teams like Burnley & Sheff Utd tend to get the best out of. I don't think he would weaken our squad plus thinking of the games we will have to get something from like the two i mentioned then i would be more confident with someone like Pontus & Hector playing together in the trenches?

The Rational Fan

In the Summer of 2018, we added three players to the squad that had played centre-back in the premier league the previous season and another centre-back that played Ligue Un and Europa League. Then for winter, we added a fourth former premier league centre-back to the squad and people said we didn't add enough, so we need to add more. 

We need to bring in at least two centre backs into the squad before deadline day, or we are repeating the same mistakes again. Get the base right this transfer window, and add a little talent elsewhere is the best we can do.

I'd love some Chelsea center-backs like Andreas Christensen, Fikayo Tomori and Ethan Ampadu with one buy and two loans, then we can consider playing a back three, play Tomori at RB or play Ampadu at DM sometimes too.

ffccornwall

Sting of the North

Quote from: JimmyConway on August 26, 2020, 09:07:56 AM
It's a difficult position to fill currently as three of the top four teams in prem last season are all looking at this position and we are not competing at that level. Option might be to look at possible loan deal with Chelsea as they are top heavy with centre backs. I wonder if Smalling might see us as a backward step considering his been playing in Serie A for Roma.
It's no ringing endorsement with Watford being relegated but possible Cathcart or Dawson have Prem experience wouldn't imagine large transfer fee/s.
Let's hope we don't go for inexperienced type at that position.
One player from the championship who possibly could step up is Pontus? Typical no nonsense type who teams like Burnley & Sheff Utd tend to get the best out of. I don't think he would weaken our squad plus thinking of the games we will have to get something from like the two i mentioned then i would be more confident with someone like Pontus & Hector playing together in the trenches?

In my opinion Pontus Jansson is heavily overrated. Unless he cust out silly mistakes and makes his game more about the team than himself I think he has found his level at the top half of the Championship. He does have many good qualities though, being both tough, good in the air and in the tackle as well as being fairly good technically, so if someone can sort him out then maybe he could play in the PL. Think we need to aim a lot higher than him, or otherwise we can just keep what we have.

filham

Quote from: bencher on August 26, 2020, 08:39:35 AM
Terry Angus
Or Roger Brown but favourite would be Tony Gale a lovely ball playing centre Back that would be ideal for the modern game.

filham

The safest choice to get us through this coming season would be Smalling but I doubt he will want to drop back to Fulham.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ffccornwall on August 26, 2020, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: Beamer on August 26, 2020, 09:02:30 AM
Chris Coleman on a free.
What a great signing he was.

Chris Coleman cost us £15.7 million in today's money on high wages for three seasons split between League One and Championship, the last of which he contributed half a season causing us to go the Premier League. Obviously, he is a better signing than Mawson or MLM, who also each contributed to promotion but great signing is pushing it. 

FFC1987

Most likely but seemingly not happening would be Kongolo.

Whitestone

Quote from: filham on August 26, 2020, 09:31:38 AM
The safest choice to get us through this coming season would be Smalling but I doubt he will want to drop back to Fulham.

Agree

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 26, 2020, 09:44:02 AM
Quote from: ffccornwall on August 26, 2020, 09:22:39 AM
Quote from: Beamer on August 26, 2020, 09:02:30 AM
Chris Coleman on a free.
What a great signing he was.

Chris Coleman cost us £15.7 million in today's money on high wages for three seasons split between League One and Championship, the last of which he contributed half a season causing us to go the Premier League. Obviously, he is a better signing than Mawson or MLM, who also each contributed to promotion but great signing is pushing it. 
You cannot seriously put a value on character, so I don't think you can put Coleman's signing in £p terms.  Some players are just priceless.

Lordedmundo

Well - Kongolo would be my first choice, but it seems that his recovery from injury has complications and he won't necessarily be fit for the start of the season.  He does have pace and I think that is what you need in the Premier League - even across the back four.  However, with Mawson looking likely to leave I would suggest that we need two centre backs - so one could be a younger pacier type (like Kongolo, Ampadu) and the other a more experienced 'no nonsense' type such as Cathcart or Janssen. That said - if we did sign both Kongolo and Ampadu (the latter on loan) then I would be happy enough with those two fighting for a starting place along with Hector with Ream and Odoi as back-up.

Bassey the warrior

Get Hangeland out of retirement.

Bryanthebroom

Ben White would be the dream pick. Will most likely be aiming higher than us though.

H4usuallysitting