watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kongolo incoming? is he the answer?

Started by 3-lions, September 17, 2020, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3-lions

For all the talk of Chambers and others. TK (the player) was always the most likely CB we'd sign , it was just a case of waiting for him to get fit.
Now reportedly we are back in talks to sign him... But is he the player we need? :031:

fulhamben

Well he's better than ream, but is he good enough to help us stay up, let's hope so if he is the main player that we bring in for the lcb position
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Plus we were never going to bring chambers back as a center back after he played so badly there for us last time out.

Craven Mad

The big question for me is his fitness. I think he has the ability, but it's whether we could get him on the pitch long enough to show it...

Maidstone Lee

Would he be brought in to be a starter though? Surely just squad depth?
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

fulhamben

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on September 17, 2020, 11:21:36 AM
Would he be brought in to be a starter though? Surely just squad depth?
but he would be a starter due to him being better than ream and mlm

FulhamStu

Kongolo s injury was a very bad break to a toe in his foot.  Surely this is not that difficult to correct.  I do understand he had a metal plate etc etc and it has clearly been a long haul however it should not be career threatening like a bad knee injury was too Mawson.   Kongolo was very good in the Prem for Huddersfield and another Dutch international to play alongside Tete.

Classic94

Probably an upgrade on Ream and MLM for that LCB spot, plus he's familiar with the club/league so would need less time to acclimatise. If we could get him AND Tah, I'd be very happy - but maybe that's overly optimistic.

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on September 17, 2020, 11:20:27 AM
Plus we were never going to bring chambers back as a center back after he played so badly there for us last time out.
Whilst I do get the urgency to sort out a competitive team for a decent PL challenge, what Chambers did in 2018/19 is meaningless so far as 2020/21 is concerned.  What I fear is precisely this lack of coherent appraisal whereby we tend to rush into identifying causes and then have difficulty working out where we went wrong in doing so and why.  I'd prefer to go with Hector and Ream rather than make things even worse with another batch of 'let's have another go'.   I am sure Parker has his views on which players would help or hinder and I rather believe he is not at all spoilt for choice.   We may all have to be very humble in the circumstances and hope we can find a way forward. 

JEEVES

At the start of the window, I wasn't interested in signing him. At this point, I will be absolutely buzzing if he signs.

JoelH5

He will be a backup. Everyone knows we need 2 CBs to come in. Ream isn't good enough to play for potentially 10 games or so if either of our CBs get injured. Tah is miles ahead in quality. Hopefully he would want to come here...
I was there, standing in the Putney end

cmg

Quote from: JEEVES on September 17, 2020, 11:31:29 AM
At the start of the window, I wasn't interested in signing him. At this point, I will be absolutely buzzing if he signs.

I share your feelings, sir. But it isn't really a good reason for signing him.

I'm a bit puzzled by what seems to me to be a bit of a Kongolo love-in on these pages over the months.

A few years back Terence Kongolo was regarded as a very good CB, at least in prospect. He got a few minutes for Netherlands over a four year period (4 caps, 1 complete game) and played in the PL (for a very poor team, although that wasn't his fault).

He played 9 minutes for us in the Ch. plus most of a Cup tonking by Manchester City. There must have been something spectacular in those few minutes that I missed, because he gets a hell of a good write-up from some quarters.
Personally I think the most spectacular thing about him is his injury record, which, again, is not his fault. Much sympathy to him, but I think it is something we should be very careful about.

FFC1987

As long as he isn't the only defender we're signing, we absolutely should sign him. On his day, he gets into our team but his injury will mean it could take some time to get match fit so another CB would be required. I doubt hes the only one we're looking at though. So i'd 100% expect two defenders if Kongolo is one of them.

Lighthouse

I have no problem with Kongolo. Thought he looked good in the little we saw of him. BUT if we are going for players like him it clearly shows we have been unable to bring in and recruit a better player to improve us. In fact we have so far recruited players of no great pedigree . But then as we know nothing is guaranteed whoever comes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lordedmundo

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 17, 2020, 11:52:43 AM
As long as he isn't the only defender we're signing, we absolutely should sign him. On his day, he gets into our team but his injury will mean it could take some time to get match fit so another CB would be required. I doubt hes the only one we're looking at though. So i'd 100% expect two defenders if Kongolo is one of them.

Yes - that is exactly how I see it.  From the limited information available - it seems that Kongolo is still some way off match fitness, but perhaps there is positive news regarding his recovery from the actual injury.  I'm sure we would have signed before now if he was fit and available, but wisely perhaps - the club wanted to check his progress before considering the move.  Although, it could also mean that we have lost out to other targets and now need to go back in for him!

If we can manage to sign Tah (unlikely but you never know), then I would be happy with the central defenders at the club - both in terms of first choice (Tah and Kongolo?) and back-up (Hector and Ream with Odoi as emergency cover). 

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Classic94 on September 17, 2020, 11:30:12 AM
Probably an upgrade on Ream and MLM for that LCB spot, plus he's familiar with the club/league so would need less time to acclimatise. If we could get him AND Tah, I'd be very happy - but maybe that's overly optimistic.

Tah and Kongolo and I will T-Cut Tony Khan's Bentley (not a euphemism...) for a month

What the hell, it couuld even be a euphenmism if we sign both!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2020, 12:04:09 PM
I have no problem with Kongolo. Thought he looked good in the little we saw of him. BUT if we are going for players like him it clearly shows we have been unable to bring in and recruit a better player to improve us. In fact we have so far recruited players of no great pedigree . But then as we know nothing is guaranteed whoever comes.

We're being stingy at the moment, hopefully there is significant money in the pot for the right player.

Bassey the warrior

Kongolo looked good but I've not seen a very big sample size to know quite how consistent he is.

Carborundum

Quote from: FulhamStu on September 17, 2020, 11:25:12 AM
Kongolo s injury was a very bad break to a toe in his foot.  Surely this is not that difficult to correct.  I do understand he had a metal plate etc etc and it has clearly been a long haul however it should not be career threatening like a bad knee injury was too Mawson.   Kongolo was very good in the Prem for Huddersfield and another Dutch international to play alongside Tete.
Interesting.  I've had metalwork inserted in my toe and it took 6 months for the swelling to go down, but a full recovery was never in doubt.  Don't want to overstate my similarity to a professional athlete, but the experience taught me that toes aren't like knees or ankles.

Kongolo is not a sure thing, but he could turn out to be very good indeed and I'd be happy to see him signed.

jayffc

"at this moment he is a huddersfield player but we are in the market to try and improve us. We all understand where we need to strengthen from when we were  last in the Premier League"
- Parker from todays press conference...

Sounds very much like he'll be incoming to me.