Main Menu

Parker has to go...........

Started by somersetwhite, November 22, 2020, 12:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: fulhamben on November 22, 2020, 02:30:02 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on November 22, 2020, 02:25:50 PM
Two questions.

1. What is the desired result from firing Scott Parker right now.

2. Who is snap decision hiring u want us to make?

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

1. The desired result is the hope of finding someone who knows what he is doing. Are we officially on our worst ever start to a season in Our 141 year existence.
2. If we could get Benítez that would be amazing, but at this point, I really fail to see how any new manager could do worse.
I'm not firing Scott right now on the "hope" that someone who is currently unemployed and a "good" coach will ignore what happened to Fulham two years ago and think..."oh...I'm the one that can definitely keep them up. Great career move".

The team is playing decent football, and yes I see 3 teams that can finish lower than Fulham.

I don't believe in firing someone because we lose to better teams.

JimOG

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on November 22, 2020, 02:42:17 PM
Two questions.

1. The desired result is the hope of finding someone who knows what he is doing. Are we officially on our worst ever start to a season in Our 141 year existence.
2. If we could get Benítez that would be amazing, but at this point, I really fail to see how any new manager could do worse.
I'm not firing Scott right now on the "hope" that someone who is currently unemployed and a "good" coach will ignore what happened to Fulham two years ago and think..."oh...I'm the one that can definitely keep them up. Great career move".

The team is playing decent football, and yes I see 3 teams that can finish lower than Fulham.

+1

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on November 22, 2020, 02:42:17 PM
Two questions.

Completely agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Overall I was not surprised by todays overall result - we were not likely to get three points, a draw would be the best we could have hoped for given the status of both teams, the early season form and how settled the squads are.

One thing that did stand out for me though was that after going one down in less than a minute, our heads didn't drop, we didn't just sit back and look to soak up pressure and then concede the inevitable second goal in quick succession. Instead we went on the offensive, we pushed, played some good football, and looked to claw our way back into the game. That is a 180 degree difference from our last Prem excursion.

The goals we gave up were soft, defensive errors that, even though we do have a defensive line that are still getting gelled, we should not expect to make, and that is down to the training ground.

Given the HT stats, and then comparing them to the FT stats, it showed that both the HT talk and the changes made did have a positive impact, even 1-3 down, we fought in the second 45, and took the game the Everton much more than they brought it to us. That indicates that SP IS learning, he understands what he needs to do to tune the formation on the pitch, though leaving the first changes until alomst the hour mark was a mistake. He obviously waited to see if his tactical changes at HT would work, but 15 minutes was too long, those changes should have been in by the 50 minute mark.

As for Cav, he did show some good touches, though Everton did what they do best by closing down the midfield. I noted that when they lost possession, within seconds they had at least 8 behind the ball. Lookman was quiet today, DCR played well, but it was right to sub him, and LC looks the part for that, like to see him a starter going on.

I put this one as a 1-2 loss for us, and was not unduly upset by the result, though it was a slim chance for us to put a little chink of daylight between ourselves and the bottom three, and it will depend on how we play against Leicester that determines if SP is actually improving or not. I feel he is, but it may not be enough to keep us up.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

b+w geezer

I concur with the overall take of Logicalman there. If we stay up it won't be by much and our attack -- on paper and in practice -- isn't a patch on Everton's on that first half showing of theirs (as well as their opening day at Tottenham). That's just the way it is.

There are a fair few things to like about the way we are starting to play, however, and if we can manage not to be too downhearted by the next three fixtures, then maybe we can begin to progress. Scoring pens would help.

Finnans Right Peg

About a month back I was calling for Scott to be sacked but i think we have definitely improved and there is no question that players are playing for him .we have had terrible luck or leadership with penalties but I think there are 3 worse teams than us in this league thats for sure .

I think we need a bit of luck and less errors (which no coach can help)but we will ok .

clarkey

The decision to get rid of Parker is not based on whether we lose to better teams.There are some good teams out there and we will lose to them.

It is based, or should be, on whether or not we are getting the best out of the squad of players we have assembled and if the liaison of the coach with the people who buy the players has been good enough and insightful enough.

I would argue that the players we have got in have been fairly good. Not as bad as two years ago and the group of players we currently have is as good if not better than at least 5 in the Prem.

In the other column though is a huge negative. We are not getting anywhere like a high enough return from what we have. And the team's overall performances are woefully inadequate in basic areas.Looking at how poor we were last year in the Championship in lots of our play I am amazed Parker got a three year contract. Why did he ?

Look at how we play, are we incredibly unlucky every week or could we make things luckier for ourselves by working harder and getting the basics right ?

Think of the short corners today where not once but twice the tactic left us conceding a free kick for offside. Think of the numerous examples of poor free kicks, not to mention terrible penalties and set plays. All of these are in the control of the coach.

Look at the marking by our defence. How organised does it look. Are the opposition frequently able to cross unchallenged, to get in unchallenged headers, to win the ball back after attacks. How is the defence at getting back into shape, and how does the midfield spring counter attacks. Until recently not at all.

How does Fulham start a match: well or  badly. After half time do we improve markedly or are we usually even worse.Is the team set up right mentally and physically ?

Is our subbing any good, right time, often enough ?

Can our coach out think other coaches, is he innovative, quick to react, ahead of the oppo ? Do we have a flexible team formation and tactics or have we been incredibly predictable ? In the Championship how many times did we fail to maximise our advantages where our squad was much better than many teams.

In short we have seen Parker get a bit better, but he is hardly an inspired, experienced and knowledgeable coach. His selection is poor, his flexibility is questionable and his game play is falling short at every hurdle.Just on the law of averages he will sometimes get things right (Bryan's free kick in the Play off final) but nine times out of ten he will not (all the other things).

How come with a good player like Tom Cirney he fails to understand where to play him ? How can he keep picking one of our worst players in the squad when he contributes nothing ? How come our shortest player often matches up with their tallest at corners...it is all weird decision making.

So that's why we are not winning and why other coaches who were not such a good player as Scott but certainly are brighter individuals are much better coaches. And get more points. They do not cost the earth, the top ones do, but the Dean Smiths and Eddie Howes are out there.And better than Scotty especially Eddie Howe who is available.

Just ask yourself what was the decision making process that lead to Anguissa not starting today ? To Lookman being so isolated when we needed him on the ball and running at opponents ? To Cav taking that penalty and to us twice screwing up short corners ?

sarnian

Martin Keown lives in the past when he goes on about how well he was drilled to defend properly.

In his day offside was offside regardless of whether another player was interfering with play or not. It was far easier to hold a good defensive line and you did not have to bother about the player standing yards offside.

West Ham's goal last game would have been flagged offside in Keowns days and he would be extolling how good his defensive line was. Yes our defence is poor but all teams are giving more goals away because no one seems to know what is and what is not offside and how you are supposed to react to these situations.

Times change but some commentators don't.  The game has moved on and probably not for the better as far as offside is concerned.

H3Matt

If Scott isn't sacked by Xmas we can call English bias. Jokanovic was sacked earlier in his first Premier League season and he had similar results. Jokanovic 5 points from 12 games, Parker 4 points from 9 games. And with Leicester (A), City (A) and Liverpool (H) as our next 3, I can see us in the bottom 3.

I adore Scott as a person but as a manager he hasn't got a clue. Team selection, subs and training methods will cost him his job eventually. Aina, Cavaleiro and Lemina should be nowhere near the starting XI. Don't care how "well" they work in training, it's all about consistency. Cav has been pony since signing permanently and Lemina and Aina have both had ONE good game each. Aina is actually the worst RB I've seen at Fulham for a while. I'm actually crying that we got him in and let Cyrus go out on loan. Odoi should start next game. RLC should be starting over Lemina from now on. Tony Khan also needs to look at himself for not signing a back-up striker in the summer window. Of course no-one could have guessed that Mitro's poor form and our horrible curse with penalties would be a thing but.....here we are. Felt sorry for Bobby and TC today. Didn't deserve to be subbed.

SuffolkWhite

A slightly different view but I see Norwich are riding high in the Championship which makes the point that maybe consistency is something to factor in! Should we go down we will have a better squad and SP would get us up imo. I still think we can survive.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Statto on November 22, 2020, 02:06:40 PM
Quote from: Hoppus on November 22, 2020, 02:01:04 PM
Quote from: Bocanegra on November 22, 2020, 01:58:13 PM
For me the errors that are taking place can't be placed on Scott.

Really!?

We can not defend as a team, Parker and the coaching staff must take responsibility for that.

This was the defensive players' 3rd game together. How good is any group of strangers going to be at defending as a "team"?
Got to agree with Statto here.... give this back 4 some more time and they will be a lot tighter.  We always knew this season was going to be very tough.  As long as there are 3 teams worse than us, we will stay up.  We might struggle to get 34 points, but this season that could well be enough!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: clarkey on November 22, 2020, 03:45:03 PM
The decision to get rid of Parker is not based on whether we lose to better teams.There are some good teams out there and we will lose to them.

It is based, or should be, on whether or not we are getting the best out of the squad of players we have assembled and if the liaison of the coach with the people who buy the players has been good enough and insightful enough.

I would argue that the players we have got in have been fairly good. Not as bad as two years ago and the group of players we currently have is as good if not better than at least 5 in the Prem.

In the other column though is a huge negative. We are not getting anywhere like a high enough return from what we have. And the team's overall performances are woefully inadequate in basic areas.Looking at how poor we were last year in the Championship in lots of our play I am amazed Parker got a three year contract. Why did he ?

Look at how we play, are we incredibly unlucky every week or could we make things luckier for ourselves by working harder and getting the basics right ?

Think of the short corners today where not once but twice the tactic left us conceding a free kick for offside. Think of the numerous examples of poor free kicks, not to mention terrible penalties and set plays. All of these are in the control of the coach.

Look at the marking by our defence. How organised does it look. Are the opposition frequently able to cross unchallenged, to get in unchallenged headers, to win the ball back after attacks. How is the defence at getting back into shape, and how does the midfield spring counter attacks. Until recently not at all.

How does Fulham start a match: well or  badly. After half time do we improve markedly or are we usually even worse.Is the team set up right mentally and physically ?

Is our subbing any good, right time, often enough ?

Can our coach out think other coaches, is he innovative, quick to react, ahead of the oppo ? Do we have a flexible team formation and tactics or have we been incredibly predictable ? In the Championship how many times did we fail to maximise our advantages where our squad was much better than many teams.

In short we have seen Parker get a bit better, but he is hardly an inspired, experienced and knowledgeable coach. His selection is poor, his flexibility is questionable and his game play is falling short at every hurdle.Just on the law of averages he will sometimes get things right (Bryan's free kick in the Play off final) but nine times out of ten he will not (all the other things).

How come with a good player like Tom Cirney he fails to understand where to play him ? How can he keep picking one of our worst players in the squad when he contributes nothing ? How come our shortest player often matches up with their tallest at corners...it is all weird decision making.

So that's why we are not winning and why other coaches who were not such a good player as Scott but certainly are brighter individuals are much better coaches. And get more points. They do not cost the earth, the top ones do, but the Dean Smiths and Eddie Howes are out there.And better than Scotty especially Eddie Howe who is available.

Just ask yourself what was the decision making process that lead to Anguissa not starting today ? To Lookman being so isolated when we needed him on the ball and running at opponents ? To Cav taking that penalty and to us twice screwing up short corners ?

Isn't playing better in the second half a sign of good management? Adjustments made, subs made... if there is one half you want to play well in it is always the second half. I actually think Parker out managed Ancelotti today. Could have, should have been 3-3 in the end.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 22, 2020, 04:32:03 PM
A slightly different view but I see Norwich are riding high in the Championship which makes the point that maybe consistency is something to factor in! Should we go down we will have a better squad and SP would get us up imo. I still think we can survive.

This! Often the crowd is wrong.

itombomb

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 22, 2020, 04:32:03 PM

All the teams that went down this year largely kept their squads together (all only lost a couple of starters). If we go down most of our team will leave - Areola, Anderssen, Aina, Lemina, RLC and Lookman will all go back to their parent clubs, and we'll probably lose a couple of others.

Fulham 442

Quote from: LittleErn on November 22, 2020, 02:00:24 PM
Don't think he should go. He's not a miracle worker so why expect it. The team are improving. I do think he made the wrong team selection decisions. The next two games are not really winnable so no need to rest players. I also think he took the wrong players off when making the obvious substitutes. ( Unless there were injuries that weren't obvious.)
I certainly think the intial team selection was wrong.  I thought the subs were good but should have been done sooner...Certainly wouldn't have started Cav though.

ffcne

From Parkers interview seems like Cav was only on to take a penalty.

Craven Mad

Every game is the same: we start terribly but show capability by the end; too late to get a result but enough to get Scott another game in charge. Rinse, repeat...

It's getting a bit tiresome. At some point, Scott will need to get the team right from the off...

Observations from today: Cav isn't a centre forward (nor a premier league player); RLC should be getting more time; Anguissa is important for us; Lookman should stay on the left side of our attack; Robinson is a great player.

ron

Consistently selecting Cav, and consistently failing to psych up our shower so they don't go out and ball watch for the first 5 minutes of every half they play.........

Sufficient evidence to have the judge reaching for the black cap in my opinion anyway.

ffcne

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 22, 2020, 02:26:23 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on November 22, 2020, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on November 22, 2020, 02:19:45 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on November 22, 2020, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 22, 2020, 02:07:58 PM
Martin Keown's comment on our defence when we nearly conceded after an Everton free kick could not be more damning: "They're not drilled."  I find it very hard to imagine that we'll avoid not just relegation but an embarrassing relegation.

Keown doesn't know what he's talking about. He makes a living being paid to say bs. Take no value in his or any other pundit's commentary.

Are you suggesting Martin Keown doesn't know the basics of how to defend and what to look for when accessing how a team defends? Considering his career, that seems a bizarre position to take.

I am. He said "They aren't drilled". How would he even know? Because he played professional football a long time ago? Man, that is some logic. So-called credentialed experts have no clue what they're talking about most of the time. Please think for yourself folks.

If you watch our defence in that instance, you can clearly see its not a drilled tactic though. Unless you really think Parker is saying to players 'right, let him run through unmarked and hope he misses. Yeh, don't block the initial cross if its taken poorly, and just let the lad run on his own. Got it? Good.' Thats the logic your defending here. The irony of you of all people asking people to think.

Keown another BBC cronie.
He played football in another era.
Boring as hell and looks like he is prehistoric.
Cannot stand him

Sgt Fulham

I have always been Parker out until he won me with the playoffs. I think he will make a good coach in a few years, but he needs to be a bit more flexible. At this point I would rather keep him unless we could get someone like Howe in. No more Magaths, no more Ranieris. If by some miracle we survive then we build and truly see what Scott can do. If we are inevitably relegated then I think we're in a good position for storming the Championship, financially more stable with some good players that will take the step down (Tosin, Robinson as well as the old guard). If I keep seeing improvement then I'm with Scott, if we grow stale then I'm Parker Out.